JS1000 capabilities - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

JS1000 capabilities

Hi all,

I was thinking about snagging a JS1000 and i was wondering if someone would be able to tell me how many steps high you can pull the trem UP. A third or fifth perhaps?

How is string life with these trems? Do they break much? I just cant imagine a string lasting all that long if you're vai theatrics on that trem.

I'm also thinking about swapping out the pups for hotter pups. I heard the fred and paf pro are rather low output. Just wnodered if you guys could help me out some. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 04:27 AM

Hm

considering the trem, you can pull "easily" to major third, but i think it's not so usefull.The strings doesn't break so easily, even with vai stunt licks (but i change every month at least....so).

Considering the pups, i think it's "stupid" to change them on a brand new guitar (or do not buy a js1000).Anyway the "low output pups sound BETTER (IMO) than high output...See the breed versus the evo (sorry for evo lovers ).With fred, pafpro or breed you will have warm and smooth tone but with a good amp they can reach A real high gain.

see the satch tone:If you like it so buy a js and try to sound like him (sadly the guitar doesn't make all)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 03:25 AM

you should probably acually sit and play one as well. From what it sounds like it looks like your just looking into buying one and haven't acually played one yet. Go out and play one and see for yourself if you really like it. IMO the Fred and PAF Pro sound great.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

The unfortunate truth is that i live in a small town where i cant easily access a JS1000.

I've played one before, but it was a while ago. In terms of the PUPS, it was more a question if anything. I owned a JS100 for a while and the pups were definitely low output. I'm guessing the paf pro and fred are going to run much the same. I own a peavey wolfgang and those pups are hot! And they're definitely nice.

Upward Trem mobility would be nice for me i was just curious about the range.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfung

I'm guessing the paf pro and fred are going to run much the same.
:No ,fred and paf are really good pup

I remind me something: the main pup on the frankenstrat was a gibson from an es 335,not really a high gain pup , but when i here van Halen I........not bad
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 04:52 AM Thread Starter

Definitely...van halen 1 rocks. =)

I'm not really looking for satch or van halen tone. I was just mentioning what i've heard from these respective guitars.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 10:19 AM

the PAF and Fred definitely aren't as hot as Evos, and you can hear it...... but, that's a good thing.... IMO they have a better dynamic range, they clean up beautifully and give some great semi-distorted and semi-clean tones which the Evos don't do quite so well. add the coil tap and high-pass filter, and you have a guitar with great tonal versatility.... trust me, one gets bored with all-out shred tones after a while, sometimes you just prefer something that's a bit more subtle and more responsive to playing dynamics...... and i've only had my JS1000 for a few days
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 03:27 AM
ggl

Although the Fred/PAF Pro combination obviously works well I would like to try something slightly diiferent and replace the PAF Pro with another pickup on the Neck. So if I use an Evolution there which I was thinking about then I will get a high pitched, loud and a sound without much dynamic range? Please correct me if this is wrong? What would be another good choice for a replacement pickup in the neck?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

So back to my original question. Anybody know the specific range of the trem going up?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 10:25 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
it should sharpen almost 5 frets on the G string... glen
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

this board is dead! =)
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 03:35 PM

That depends largely on setup... I'm sure you could get it quite a bit more than that, but you'd have action of about 2 inches and the bridge sticking up at like a 45 degree angle. Yeah, it'd be unplayable, but man, you could get those harmonics pulled up nearly two octaves.

(tongue-in-cheek mode off)

A minor third is about the minimum you'd want. a 5th is pretty good, and should be what you're aiming for.

-Drew
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 04:00 PM

listen to vai's blue powder. you should be able to do all that stuff-

the 'pull up' range depends on the string. the 3rd is the one that will give the greater pull ups

have fun!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Excellent. So i know i should aim for a fifth as the desired pulling range, but my original question (sorry if i didn't make sense) was what the JS1000s range was.....either a fifth or a third or none...or around there. =)
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 01:25 PM

dfung,

I own a JS1000 and i am able to pull up at least a perfect fourth on the G string.... my setup is rather typical with the lo-pro edge trem unit running parallel to the body ( which i think is the correct way to have it).

hope this answers your question! good luck!!

Tags
clean tone , coil tap , edge trem , paf pro , peavey wolfgang , pro edge , pro edge trem , satch tone , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode