JS1000 characteristics - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

JS1000 characteristics

So I love everything (everything!) about the JS1000 except the hard stop your thumb hits when you run into the bolt-on when getting to the upper frets (I currently have a JS100 and am about to buy a 1000, don't have much playing time on the 1000, so maybe it's not as bad as the 100). Is there an Ibanez that has similar characteristics to the 1000 (tone, feel, and especially the neck which I just love) but isn't bolt-on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 11:49 AM

Reviews: 59
Re: JS1000 characteristics

Maybe go for the JS2400? There isn't really and AANJ guitar that compares to the JS series. You're looking at a flatter wider neck and a totally different body and bridge with the S and RG lines.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 12:41 PM

The absence of the AANJ neck joint on the JS and Radius series used to bug me because I was accustomed to the heel on AANJ guitars. No more... I actually prefer the sculpted heel on the JS. I think that over time I made subtle adjustments in my left hand position when I'm in the higher frets and interference with the heel is no longer a problem. There are many great players who spend lots of time playing up high on the ultra clumsy block heel on standard strats (Yngwie comes to mind), and clearly Joe does just fine with the JS heel. I think it all comes down to hand position and what you're used to.

Just my 2-cents -- obviously you'll have to decide if it's worth it to you to work on making the adjustment.

Cheers,
Bert
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 08:27 PM

I saw a Radius body on the bay last week that was AANJ. They must be out there, just rare.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 03:22 AM

The "proper" neck joint on the JS (which I like anyway - adds to the fact that the JS feels more like a modified Strat than a shred-beast) contributes significantly to its tone. The AANJ is a real tone and sustain sucker. It's about time Ibanez looked to what other makers are doing and came out with a low-profile neck joint that sounds good as well as being playable.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 07:55 AM

Yes, in 93 the 540R-LTD had the AANJ but came with the very un-Radius like 540S Wizard necks. I have one which I put a JS neck on, modified to fit the AANJ joint.

Not sure I agree that the AANJ is a real tone sucker, though I've heard lots of people who agree with that point. There's a real interesting thread over on the Gear Page dealing with all the different types of neck joints that provide improved access. It's amazing how many different shapes and connection concepts are out there. The Ibanez AANJ has stayed basically the same for almost 20 years. Maybe it's time to introduce something new. But like I said, I seem to be more adaptable now than I was a few years ago -- I'm basically OK with anything other than the old style block.

Anyway, here's that Gear Page link -- check out some of the alternative neck joint styles:
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho...d.php?t=624601

Of course, a lot of those are neck-throughs and glued joints rather than bolt ons. But there are some cool new bolt-on designs as well.

Last edited by stratoskier; 02-14-2010 at 07:34 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

I wonder if I'm missing something on playing position. When I go to the upper frets, I slide my thumb up to the heel, and the heel of my hand is floating in midair. Should I be playing with my heel on the guitar heel? Or something else? Thanks!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 04:14 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratoskier View Post

Not sure I agree that the AANJ is a real tone sucker, though I've heard lots of people who agree with that point. There's a real interesting thread over on the Gear Page dealing with all the different types of neck joints that provide improved access. It's amazing how many different shapes and connection concepts are out there. The Ibanez AANJ has stayed basically the same for almost 10 years. Maybe it's time to introduce something new. But like I said, I seem to be more adaptable now than I was a few years ago -- I'm basically OK with anything other than the old style block.
It's been basically the same for nearer 20 years than just 10!!!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
It's been basically the same for nearer 20 years than just 10!!!
Oops -- yeah, that's what I meant (edited above). I think the first AANJ's were in 89 with the Maxxas and the 540SC, right? Those were slightly more elongated than the later version. I used to have one of those 540SC and found it had slight issues with the neck tweaking side to side. I was able to remedy it, but think the final version was more stable.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 09:54 AM

Reviews: 3

Play a Les Paul and you'll run back to any Ibanez when it comes to the neck joint.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 10:37 AM

The old Ibanez neckjoint, not the angled , ones is not that much different than a Paul both are quite a handful.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarGuru View Post
Play a Les Paul and you'll run back to any Ibanez when it comes to the neck joint.

Not with the Les Paul Axcess..............

Tags
bolt-on , js1000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode