JS1000 compound radius - What are the exact specs - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

JS1000 compound radius - What are the exact specs

I am looking into a JS1000. *I see that the Ibanez site says that it has a compound radius neck. *What are the exact specs of the neck? *I already have a Parker Fly deluxe that has a compund radius (10-13) so I like the idea. *Anybody know where I can get this info?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 10:08 PM
Vendor

JS1000 compound radius

I don't believe Ibanez has ever published the spec on the multiradius. It was digitized from Brawer's work and I believe he said the board was 10 1/2" radius at the 22nd, then the frets taken to 11'. The stock 1000 I guess you could figure at 10 1/2" at the 22nd.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 11:51 PM

JS1000 compound radius

Not much of a radius change compared to something like a Warmoth. *Was it explained why he prefers the last bit from the frets vs. designing the board that way?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2002, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

JS1000 compound radius

Interesting. *The Ibanez site has it listed as a 12" radius. *I wasn't expecting that drop in figures. *Which is correct? *10 1/2" or 12"? *
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2002, 10:12 AM
Vendor

JS1000 compound radius

Go with what they say, I was going from memory of Brawer's specs.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2002, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

JS1000 compound radius

Thanks for the help. *I hate it when they give figures in mm. *240mm is about 9 1/2", not 12", but since we are dealing with a radius and not a straight line I assume the the figure gets warped. *Confusion. *I wish they were straight forward with the info. *I am still curious to see what the compound figures are. *The only thing I ever come across is the 240mm which says nothing about the compund radius. *I am going over to Guitar Center to play one so I can feel it. *My Parker is 10-13 and my Carvin is 15". *I prefer the Parker so I am thinking the JS1000 should be closer to what I am looking for. *Has anyone ever played both to be able to give a comparison?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2002, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

JS1000 compound radius

Well, I went to the Satriani site and they have the fretboard and radius info. *The guitar has a 9" radius and then is "planed flat". *Then they flatten the fret radius. *Sounds wierd. *I am more confused than before. *Oh well. *I will play the thing and see if it feels nice. *The neck doesn't seem to be Fender fat according to the specs so it should still be a fast neck. *
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2002, 12:37 PM

JS1000 compound radius

I've seen a detailed discussion of Satch's Chromeboy setup in a guitar mag that I saved. I don't have it with me at the moment, but Brawer does do some very specific custom things for Satch's necks. Even if you bought a JS1000 off the shelf, you would need to do some further work on the frets and shim the saddles of the bridge to get it to Satch's playing specs. Brawer can do this for you, of course, but you've got to ship it to him. But even without the mods, I think the newer JS1000 necks are very comfortable. IMHO, the multi-radius neck just adds yet another comfort factor into an already player-friendly guitar.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2002, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

JS1000 compound radius

Have you ever played a Parker Fly? *Can you compare the 2? *I have really grown to love the compound radius and I want a guitar with a different feel of my Parker as far as body, pickups and general aesthetics. *

Tags
guitar mag , parker fly , parker fly deluxe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode