js1000 or js1200 strings - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pullman Washington
Posts: 159
js1000 or js1200 strings

hey guys ill be getting the js1000 or 1200 but im leaning towards the 1200. ive been out of the game for about ten years now. heres my question... what do you guys think are the best strings to use and the guage? just trying to see what people are using these days. this will help me tell rich what strings to use. and thanks to eveyone who pointed me in the direction of rich! that dude knows his ****! i am VERY impressed with him.
paul
big_paul_ski is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 11:48 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 79
Re: js1000 or js1200 strings

I've been using D Addario 9-42s on my JS since I got it last year. But I've had a problem with the strings turning a reddish brown just a few hours after playing. Recently I started using Ernie Ball coated strings and these things last forever!
Blacksheep is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 12:00 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cleveland OH
Posts: 1,142
Reviews: 59
Re: js1000 or js1200 strings

I've used Ernie Ball and Dean Markley over the years, but I've found the D Addario ones last longer against corrossion and stay nice and bright with their tone. I always wipe my guitar down after I play and I've found that to help. Never broke one of the D Addario and I've left them on some of the guitars I don't play as often for a long time and they still sound good. I also think those are the type that Rich uses as his standard. If you haven't played in a while, 9-42's will be easier on your fingers than heavier gauges.
smooth55 is offline  
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 12:13 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 323
Re: js1000 or js1200 strings

Rich ships them with D'Addario 9-42's. Good strings. I had a supply of GHS 9-42 Boomers that I'm using up. I plan on putting the D'Addario's back on and see if there is a noticeable difference. Didn't see one when I switched after the first string change.
GLG421 is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pullman Washington
Posts: 159
Re: js1000 or js1200 strings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksheep View Post
I've been using D Addario 9-42s on my JS since I got it last year. But I've had a problem with the strings turning a reddish brown just a few hours after playing. Recently I started using Ernie Ball coated strings and these things last forever!
Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth55 View Post
I've used Ernie Ball and Dean Markley over the years, but I've found the D Addario ones last longer against corrossion and stay nice and bright with their tone. I always wipe my guitar down after I play and I've found that to help. Never broke one of the D Addario and I've left them on some of the guitars I don't play as often for a long time and they still sound good. I also think those are the type that Rich uses as his standard. If you haven't played in a while, 9-42's will be easier on your fingers than heavier gauges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLG421 View Post
Rich ships them with D'Addario 9-42's. Good strings. I had a supply of GHS 9-42 Boomers that I'm using up. I plan on putting the D'Addario's back on and see if there is a noticeable difference. Didn't see one when I switched after the first string change.
good to hear guys. i use the D'Addario's and the boomers back in the day and loved them so i see thay still kick ass. just reg D'Addario's? or are there some sew coated ones or something? and 9-42s is all that ive ever used. one thing that i have just learned is that if you go higher in guage you have to adjust the trem? correct me if im wrong though. back in the day i would have just put on tens and did no adjustments.
big_paul_ski is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 02:06 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 323
Re: js1000 or js1200 strings

If you're used to 9-42's and you like D'Addario, I'd go with that. Leaves less factors of change from the original set-up. I've had my 1200 for over a year and done nothing but string changes, and fretboard oiling, and the occasional truss rod tweak.

There are all sorts of coated strings and the like. Check this post for more opinions.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f11/wh...-use-3216.html
GLG421 is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pullman Washington
Posts: 159
Re: js1000 or js1200 strings

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLG421 View Post
If you're used to 9-42's and you like D'Addario, I'd go with that. Leaves less factors of change from the original set-up. I've had my 1200 for over a year and done nothing but string changes, and fretboard oiling, and the occasional truss rod tweak.

There are all sorts of coated strings and the like. Check this post for more opinions.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f11/wh...-use-3216.html
thanks for the link man. just the regular D'Addario's?
big_paul_ski is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 02:20 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 323
Re: js1000 or js1200 strings

If you've missed 10 years of keeping up with trends/products, I'd ask rich specifically what D'Addario's he is using, and stick with that while you work your way back into the game.
GLG421 is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pullman Washington
Posts: 159
Re: js1000 or js1200 strings

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLG421 View Post
If you've missed 10 years of keeping up with trends/products, I'd ask rich specifically what D'Addario's he is using, and stick with that while you work your way back into the game.
sounds good and thanks again. you have been of great help.
big_paul_ski is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 02:33 PM
Vendor
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 25,714
Re: js1000 or js1200 strings

Same thing I've been using for 20 years, XL120's. Just happens to be the same thing Ibanez puts on all their electrics that ship with 9-42's.
Rich is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 02:51 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cleveland OH
Posts: 1,142
Reviews: 59
Re: js1000 or js1200 strings

Yeah, I use the regular XL120's with no fancy coats or anything like that.
smooth55 is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 10:14 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 426
Re: js1000 or js1200 strings

I had Rich set mine up with 10's using D'Addario at the moment as they are the best value in Aus but I'm going to try the new coated Ernie Ball strings next.
guitarnoize is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pullman Washington
Posts: 159
Re: js1000 or js1200 strings

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarnoize View Post
I had Rich set mine up with 10's using D'Addario at the moment as they are the best value in Aus but I'm going to try the new coated Ernie Ball strings next.
what are the coated one supposed to do? help them last longer, better tone?
big_paul_ski is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JS1000 or JS1200? ready to buy. big_paul_ski Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 34 07-15-2009 07:46 PM
Where in the UK can I try out JS100 / JS1000 / JS1200 BloozebusterMatt Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 31 03-10-2009 10:44 PM
JS1000 and JS1200 differences The Gdawg Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 11 02-27-2009 10:17 AM
js1200 or js1000 or js100 Jing Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 9 01-13-2006 04:32 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome