Is the JS1000 for me? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Is the JS1000 for me?

Hey all,

I recently sold an S Prestige 5470 that I had to get something new. It was a beautiful guitar and sounded great, but the thin flat neck just isn't me. I thought it would be, that's why I got it. Thought I needed a SHREDDER'S neck! But, every time I'd go pick up my strat or Les Paul that have much larger and narrower necks I felt more at home. I've also found I feel more comfortable with 22 fret guitars and I think the neck pickup placement argument is a good one - neck PUs on 22s sound better. It's fun having 24, and sometimes helpful - but rarely for me.

I'm now thinking of the JS1000. I don't want it because it Satch's sig' guitar (though I am a big Satch fan) but because it seems very versatile. From what I have read it has a more traditional neck, great feel, and a wide range of tones. I live in rural WI and there aren't any guitar shops around here that would carry one to try out - let alone a nice used one (which I am looking for). I want a guitar than can sound good playing a variety of music. I mainly play rock oriented stuff, but also do metal, blues, and dabble in everything else for fun.

Does this sound like the guitar for me? Yes, no, other suggestions?

Also, what should be the max price I dish out for a used one in excellent condition?

Thanks a lot. Sorry for wall of text.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 08:16 PM

Reviews: 6
Re: Is the JS1000 for me?

If you like Fender and Gibson necks, you'll like a JS1000. It's probably why I've owned more JS guitars that I have Jem's(3 JS100's, 1 JS20S and 1 JS1000 vs. 1 JEM7DBK). I love the feel and feedback from a JS neck. To me they are very much Fender Strat like. Hints of Les Paul, but moreso Fender(IMHO).

One thing I will say, is get that "Shredder's Guitar" mentality out of your head right now. Any guitar can be used for playing fast. I don't even like the term "Shredder" because most Shred Guitarist out there flat suck in terms of tone and overall listenability. I mean yeah they are great and amazing and tons of talent. But at the end of the day if it all sounds like a blur of s**t, then it is a blur of s**t.

Some may think I'm out of my mind but to me Yngwie Malmsteen is the zenith of playing fast. Precise, great tone, very listenable. He's not to fast, his tone is great and fat(no one else has it) and the only thing that does get old when listening to him is the constant melodic minor and phrygian modes he's in. But that's neo-classical and that's what you get.

My point is, he uses a Fender Stratocaster. Al Di Meola has used Gibson LP's for years. Just because a guitar doesn't have a sharp headstocks, loud ass bright paint schemes, 24 frets and pick-ups so hot they melt paint, doesn't mean it can't be used for playing fast.

Some of the most seasoned guitar players make it by with just Stratocasters and Les Pauls.

But if you're looking for an Ibanez that mimics Fenders and Les Pauls in feel, I'd recommend the JS1000. Not only do I have Ibanez's but I've got Strats and Les Pauls, and love all of them. Play the same on all of them, only time I jump to a Ibanez is when I feel the need to punish the whammy bar a bit. Other than that, you really can't beat the sustain of a Les Paul. I should know, I've owned probably 50 guitars in my life, many of them Ibanez and not one of the Ibanez's came close to the sustain my LP's can produce. Not even Hard-tail Ibbie's can do it.

But that's just me and my .02 cents.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirled777 View Post
If you like Fender and Gibson necks, you'll like a JS1000. It's probably why I've owned more JS guitars that I have Jem's(3 JS100's, 1 JS20S and 1 JS1000 vs. 1 JEM7DBK). I love the feel and feedback from a JS neck. To me they are very much Fender Strat like. Hints of Les Paul, but moreso Fender(IMHO).

One thing I will say, is get that "Shredder's Guitar" mentality out of your head right now. Any guitar can be used for playing fast. I don't even like the term "Shredder" because most Shred Guitarist out there flat suck in terms of tone and overall listenability. I mean yeah they are great and amazing and tons of talent. But at the end of the day if it all sounds like a blur of s**t, then it is a blur of s**t.

Some may think I'm out of my mind but to me Yngwie Malmsteen is the zenith of playing fast. Precise, great tone, very listenable. He's not to fast, his tone is great and fat(no one else has it) and the only thing that does get old when listening to him is the constant melodic minor and phrygian modes he's in. But that's neo-classical and that's what you get.

My point is, he uses a Fender Stratocaster. Al Di Meola has used Gibson LP's for years. Just because a guitar doesn't have a sharp headstocks, loud ass bright paint schemes, 24 frets and pick-ups so hot they melt paint, doesn't mean it can't be used for playing fast.

Some of the most seasoned guitar players make it by with just Stratocasters and Les Pauls.

But if you're looking for an Ibanez that mimics Fenders and Les Pauls in feel, I'd recommend the JS1000. Not only do I have Ibanez's but I've got Strats and Les Pauls, and love all of them. Play the same on all of them, only time I jump to a Ibanez is when I feel the need to punish the whammy bar a bit. Other than that, you really can't beat the sustain of a Les Paul. I should know, I've owned probably 50 guitars in my life, many of them Ibanez and not one of the Ibanez's came close to the sustain my LP's can produce. Not even Hard-tail Ibbie's can do it.

But that's just me and my .02 cents.
Good message. I totally get what you mean by any guitar can be a shred guitar - a guitar is a guitar up to a point, so of course I could shred on a Les Paul or any other guitar. I guess what I meant was I wanted a guitar that just made me think of shredding when I picked it up. Nonetheless I like what you had to say about the JS1000, it sounds like what I'm in the market for.

And don't get me wrong, me Les Paul is something that can't be beat in terms of sustain and that certain Les Paul tone. Mines a 75 Les Paul Custom and she looks and play wonderfully.

And I'm totally with ya on the Malmsteen thing. He's one of the few "shredders" who understands tone - especially back in the 80's. Sure he plays the same things over and over, but who before him sounded like that? Nothing sounded like the first Rising Force album, and it still sounds awesome and most shred albums don't sound as raw and powerful as that.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingV911 View Post
Good message. I totally get what you mean by any guitar can be a shred guitar - a guitar is a guitar up to a point, so of course I could shred on a Les Paul or any other guitar. I guess what I meant was I wanted a guitar that just made me think of shredding when I picked it up. Nonetheless I like what you had to say about the JS1000, it sounds like what I'm in the market for.

And don't get me wrong, me Les Paul is something that can't be beat in terms of sustain and that certain Les Paul tone. Mines a 75 Les Paul Custom and she looks and play wonderfully.

And I'm totally with ya on the Malmsteen thing. He's one of the few "shredders" who understands tone - especially back in the 80's. Sure he plays the same things over and over, but who before him sounded like that? Nothing sounded like the first Rising Force album, and it still sounds awesome and most shred albums don't sound as raw and powerful as that.
One thing I will say, is if you get a chance to play a JS1000 do it. Folks can tell you what they feel and so forth. But ultimately, you'll be the one playing it. So in the end, it's about how the guitar talks back to you.

Again, that's what I've always like about the JS series guitars. To me they are very close to Strats, however you on the other hand may feel they are moreso closer to Les Paul's. It's always in the Eye(or should I say hands)of the Beholder.

But if you can, play one first man. Then you'll really get an idea of what they are like.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
One thing I will say, is if you get a chance to play a JS1000 do it. Folks can tell you what they feel and so forth. But ultimately, you'll be the one playing it. So in the end, it's about how the guitar talks back to you.

Again, that's what I've always like about the JS series guitars. To me they are very close to Strats, however you on the other hand may feel they are moreso closer to Les Paul's. It's always in the Eye(or should I say hands)of the Beholder.

But if you can, play one first man. Then you'll really get an idea of what they are like.
I know - I'd love to NOT have to blind buy everything, be it guitars, amps, effects, etc. I rely on forums and Youtube to make a somewhat educated decision. Not sure if I mentioned it earlier but I live in Eau Claire, WI - which is essentially a pretty rural area. The closest guitar shops are Guitar Centers which are a couple hours away and none of them have JS1000s in stock, nor do they typically carry them. I'm not sure if all Guitar Center's are this way but the ones in the Twin Cities suck hard. The employees are ego maniacal douchebags, and their inventory never includes high end guitars, just walla of cheap Jackson and B.C. Rich guitars. There is a really nice guitar shop a couple hours south in La Crosse, WI that is THE place to go for Fender, Gibson, or PRS guitars, but that is all they sell. I go to school in La Crosse and go there whenever I can because it is a heavenly place for this area.

If I can get a used JS1000 that is in great shape - at a good deal - I figure if it just doesn't work out I can at least get close to the amount I paid for it back reselling it. Not optimal, but that's the price I pay for living in the wilderness.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
I know - I'd love to NOT have to blind buy everything, be it guitars, amps, effects, etc. I rely on forums and Youtube to make a somewhat educated decision. Not sure if I mentioned it earlier but I live in Eau Claire, WI - which is essentially a pretty rural area. The closest guitar shops are Guitar Centers which are a couple hours away and none of them have JS1000s in stock, nor do they typically carry them. I'm not sure if all Guitar Center's are this way but the ones in the Twin Cities suck hard. The employees are ego maniacal douchebags, and their inventory never includes high end guitars, just walla of cheap Jackson and B.C. Rich guitars. There is a really nice guitar shop a couple hours south in La Crosse, WI that is THE place to go for Fender, Gibson, or PRS guitars, but that is all they sell. I go to school in La Crosse and go there whenever I can because it is a heavenly place for this area.

If I can get a used JS1000 that is in great shape - at a good deal - I figure if it just doesn't work out I can at least get close to the amount I paid for it back reselling it. Not optimal, but that's the price I pay for living in the wilderness.
yeah I hear that man. The Guitar Center's here in Colorado are o.k. but that's about it. I live in Colorado Springs(which ain't exactly the smallest city), and if I want to check out any high end stuff, I have to go to Denver. And even then, Denver ain't much better. Though they usually have JS1000's and JEM's.

Back in the day when I started playing(16 years ago and even several years later) I could walk into just about any guitar store and find an example of a JEM or JS or even Universe hanging on the wall. I remember tons of high end Fender and Gibson's, ultra-high end Taylor guitars and Martin's. Hell, you could almost bet on finding several RG7620's(7 Strings) hanging on the wall.

Nowadays there ain't squat to be had at any guitar store. Only thing you'll find still a great selection of, are Fender's and Gibson's.

I blame the internet and companies selling on-line. BUT really I don't because that's how they make money and I've gotten way better deals on-line than I ever did at local stores. And I hate to say it but I go where my dollar goes the furthest. I love supporting my local stores and so forth but if they are 25% higher in price, you'd be out of your mind to go and buy locally. Only idiots continue to support their local stores, while getting rammed on the prices. I'm not saying buying locally is bad, I've found some good deals(mainly on used stuff but that's it).

I had to fight tooth and nail with the local guitar guy when I purchased a RG350MYE. Told him Musician's Friend had it for "X" amount, and he didn't believe me. So I told him pull it up on the "net". Sure as hell he did, and wasn't happy about the price. But he matched it and wasn't happy about that either.

But that's all I've ever asked of the local stores. At least match what's on-line. You don't have to beat it, just match it. And then you get the typical BS from the guitar sale tech, well here you don't pay shipping, so that's why we sell it for a little more. Then I tell them, yeah I get free shipping from "insert random guitar store here" on-line and that pisses them off even more. But if they want to stay competitive that's what they've got to do you know.

But if you snag one on-line man, you'll be happy with it. Even if you aren't blown away with it right off the bat. Give it a bit and you'll learn it's nuances.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
yeah I hear that man. The Guitar Center's here in Colorado are o.k. but that's about it. I live in Colorado Springs(which ain't exactly the smallest city), and if I want to check out any high end stuff, I have to go to Denver. And even then, Denver ain't much better. Though they usually have JS1000's and JEM's.

Back in the day when I started playing(16 years ago and even several years later) I could walk into just about any guitar store and find an example of a JEM or JS or even Universe hanging on the wall. I remember tons of high end Fender and Gibson's, ultra-high end Taylor guitars and Martin's. Hell, you could almost bet on finding several RG7620's(7 Strings) hanging on the wall.

Nowadays there ain't squat to be had at any guitar store. Only thing you'll find still a great selection of, are Fender's and Gibson's.

I blame the internet and companies selling on-line. BUT really I don't because that's how they make money and I've gotten way better deals on-line than I ever did at local stores. And I hate to say it but I go where my dollar goes the furthest. I love supporting my local stores and so forth but if they are 25% higher in price, you'd be out of your mind to go and buy locally. Only idiots continue to support their local stores, while getting rammed on the prices. I'm not saying buying locally is bad, I've found some good deals(mainly on used stuff but that's it).

I had to fight tooth and nail with the local guitar guy when I purchased a RG350MYE. Told him Musician's Friend had it for "X" amount, and he didn't believe me. So I told him pull it up on the "net". Sure as hell he did, and wasn't happy about the price. But he matched it and wasn't happy about that either.

But that's all I've ever asked of the local stores. At least match what's on-line. You don't have to beat it, just match it. And then you get the typical BS from the guitar sale tech, well here you don't pay shipping, so that's why we sell it for a little more. Then I tell them, yeah I get free shipping from "insert random guitar store here" on-line and that pisses them off even more. But if they want to stay competitive that's what they've got to do you know.

But if you snag one on-line man, you'll be happy with it. Even if you aren't blown away with it right off the bat. Give it a bit and you'll learn it's nuances.
Is your town still powered by Tesla?

Yes, during the go-go 90's when I was starting out it was the same thing here - the Guitar Center's were stocked with high end gear. I remember the first time I went to one I played on a Jackson Dave Mustaine signature, the black King V with gold hardware, a JEM, and a USA Jackson Kelly. Being 14 at the time it solidified that guitar was definitely for me.

If I won the lottery I'd support local music shops. I don't care about supporting Guitar Center's, that's for sure - even though they will price match - but you still have to pay tax, and on a $1000+ item that's quite a bit more. A lot of the bigger online places have pretty good return policies, even on new guitars, where you get a full refund minus the return s/h, so for $50 or so you can find out if you really want the guitar you bought or not. I figure that's about what it'd cost in gas to drive to the Guitar Center's in MN anyways.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Is your town still powered by Tesla?

Yes, during the go-go 90's when I was starting out it was the same thing here - the Guitar Center's were stocked with high end gear. I remember the first time I went to one I played on a Jackson Dave Mustaine signature, the black King V with gold hardware, a JEM, and a USA Jackson Kelly. Being 14 at the time it solidified that guitar was definitely for me.

If I won the lottery I'd support local music shops. I don't care about supporting Guitar Center's, that's for sure - even though they will price match - but you still have to pay tax, and on a $1000+ item that's quite a bit more. A lot of the bigger online places have pretty good return policies, even on new guitars, where you get a full refund minus the return s/h, so for $50 or so you can find out if you really want the guitar you bought or not. I figure that's about what it'd cost in gas to drive to the Guitar Center's in MN anyways.
LOL Oddly enough, we do have a hydroelectric power plant called Tesla, but it primarily supplies power to the Air Force Academy and surrounding area.

I see what you mean man. Sometimes living out in the boonies the only way to get stuff is via on-line and FedEx. I do hope you enjoy your JS1000 once you get it. Let us know how it works out for you.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
LOL Oddly enough, we do have a hydroelectric power plant called Tesla, but it primarily supplies power to the Air Force Academy and surrounding area.

I see what you mean man. Sometimes living out in the boonies the only way to get stuff is via on-line and FedEx. I do hope you enjoy your JS1000 once you get it. Let us know how it works out for you.
Gotta give Nikola Tesla his due! Guy was a genius!

Anyways, seeing as you've bought them before - do you have any insight on what should be the max price I pay for a used JS1000 (assuming it is no more then 3-4 years old, excellent condition)? They seem to go on eBay for around $1000-$1200 if in close to new or excellent condition. That seem about right?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Gotta give Nikola Tesla his due! Guy was a genius!

Anyways, seeing as you've bought them before - do you have any insight on what should be the max price I pay for a used JS1000 (assuming it is no more then 3-4 years old, excellent condition)? They seem to go on eBay for around $1000-$1200 if in close to new or excellent condition. That seem about right?
Tesla was the s**t!! HAHA

Yeah man, that seems about right for a few years old JS1000 in great shape. I've seen them go as long as $800 on thE Bay. But I've seen ultra mint examples, go for as high as $1400.

I'm one of those that chooses function over form. And as long as a guitar isn't broke then I'll gladly play it. I've got a Fender Stratocaster that looks like I drug it behind my truck down a dirt road. It's beat down, but plays great and sounds excellent. I've never had any qualms about buying a guitar with dents, dings or scratches. I'm not one of those guys that has to have the most pristine guitars.

If you can snag one in the $1k range, you'll be doing alright.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Tesla was the s**t!! HAHA

Yeah man, that seems about right for a few years old JS1000 in great shape. I've seen them go as long as $800 on thE Bay. But I've seen ultra mint examples, go for as high as $1400.

I'm one of those that chooses function over form. And as long as a guitar isn't broke then I'll gladly play it. I've got a Fender Stratocaster that looks like I drug it behind my truck down a dirt road. It's beat down, but plays great and sounds excellent. I've never had any qualms about buying a guitar with dents, dings or scratches. I'm not one of those guys that has to have the most pristine guitars.

If you can snag one in the $1k range, you'll be doing alright.
Cool thanks. A really nice red JS1200 just sold on there for $1179. I thought about getting it but prefer the PAF Pro over PAF Joe....

I feel the same way about guitars to an extent. Certain axes look cool beat up, such as Strats and Les Pauls; but imo, something futuristic looking and shiny like a JS, or even my previous S5470 I always thought look their best when mint and buffed to a shine. Kinda like a beat up truck looks cool and right, but a new Ferarri with a ding in it - whole things wrecked!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 03:50 PM

Reviews: 9

If you like the JS series but don't want it because it's a Satriani signature, get a 540R. I have one, and LOVE it! Mine is HSS configuration but they made them HH...You'll probably have to do a good search to track one down.

It'll be cheaper than a Japanese JS series, that's for sure.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 04:06 AM

Reviews: 5

I had a 440R once. Jewel Blue. Wish i still had it. *sigh*

Quote:
I've got a Fender Stratocaster that looks like I drug it behind my truck down a dirt road. It's beat down, but plays great and sounds excellent.
Fender is one of those brand where the more beat up the guitar looks, the cooler it is. Hahaha...
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Well I bought one.... think I got a pretty good deal. Bought it on eBay from reputable seller. $900 - essentially brand new - was a trade in. Serial# says it is a 2010 model. I think I got lucky as I saw 3-4 year old ones with nicks, scratches, and obvious fretwear sell for $200 more. Can't wait to get it this week - hopefully the 90+ degree weather and humidity on it's way to WI doesn't hurt it any.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 06:48 PM

Reviews: 34

looks good

Tags
buying guitar , js1200 , purchasing , satriani

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode