JS1000 neck - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
the

JS1000 neck

Hey guys, so im loving my js1000. What i want is a hard tail strat body with the js neck, does anyone know a luthier that will make bodies for the js neck to bolt on? i contact warmoth and a handful of other kit manufacturer's already with no luck :<
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 04:08 PM

Reviews: 18
Re: JS1000 neck

If I'm not mistaken, a JS neck should be able to retrofit on a strat with no modifications required. The easiest way to be certain of it, is to take the neck plate off the js1000 and put it against the plate of the strat and see of the holes match.

Jimmy
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 06:32 PM

Yes, you should be able to put a JS neck on a Strat. But why not just get a fixed-bridge JS?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 06:43 PM

Maybe he wants 3 single coils...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
the

really i want a different sound. The JS is fine live, but my strat HSH (sh-4 and sh6 humbcuckers, stock single coil) coil tapped gives me tons of sounds from great blues to super heavy, to great smooth jazz sounds. When i was doing studio work, it was the guitar that answered it all. The JS plays much better, but im relying more and more on effects and processing to get it done, so im hoping for a stratlike hardtail to let the wood talk a bit more. The JS is a unique sound altogether, but its just not there when it comes to versatility, anyone agree?

What i'm thinking now is pick up another JS, scrap the body, and get a warmoth body made outta some good tone wood and go from there.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 07:14 PM

Hummm. I can't agree about a JS lacking versatility. But it is a subjective matter, and if the JS is not your thing, that's all good too. (Ain't nothing wrong with a Strat body for versatility either!) It sounds like you are suggesting it is the basswood body you don't like? Since you are talking Strat bodies, I assume you are looking for Alder or Ash. (You do know that most hardtail JSs are mahogany, not basswood, right?) What do you consider "good tone wood"?

Anyway, good luck putting together your new custom. As long as you end up with what makes you happy, that's all that counts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
the

oh heavens, lots of woods are good tone woods to me. mahogony, alder, the hard ashes, even used to have poplar guitar that drove me nuts. Really what i think is lacking on the JS side of things is the bridge more than anything, it just doesn't let the wood talk to ya. As far as buying a hardtail JS, i dunno. It's crossed my mind more than a few times, buts it's hard to get that sound. when i picked up my strat, it was for one reason. it was one of the best sounding strat's (guitars) i;d ever heard. When i picked up the JS, it was for one reason as well. It was the one of the best playing guitars i ever picked up. In a live environment, you can make any guitar sound good, in any room, given a decent setup, and to me it's more about accurate playing. Give me the JS anyday for that, no question. In the studio though, to me its a little bit more about the sound, as you can always practice that piece and record again to get it accurate. To me, head to head, i think a strat just sounds a bit better overall than the JS. mainly because i look for that hard hitting SRV/KWS type sound. its hard to get it so thick wit the JS, i find myself swamped with pedals, whereas with my strat, i gotta chord into an amp. THis isn;t to say EVERY strat sounds better than every JS, just on the whole 100 strats to 100 JS's to my ear i'll chose strats. am i making any sense here? SO what i want is a strat, that gives me the left hand of the JS.

and a million jillion dollars.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 02:32 PM

Reviews: 18

Have you tried using the coil tap at all? The JS1000 is able to recreate strat-like sounds when the coil tap function is engaged.

Jimmy
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
the

yea i use it all the time, i actually replaced the hi pass filter on the guitar for phase reverse wiring, so i got phase reverse and coil splitting. This guitar is on its 5th set of pickups, and the neck pickup i have i like a lot right now for an all rounder, its the Seymour PATB 1 and it really matches this guitar well. On my strat, i dont have a full on circuit for both picks humbuckers, each are individual wired, one toggle switch per pickup, so i could have 3 coils on if i;d like. tot of 9 pick up combinations. i wanted to do that to this JS, but with out the middle pick up it seemed worthless and hte phase reverse circuit was more handy. it also now has a synth pickup mounted nice and tucked outta the way on it now

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode