JS1000 project feasibility? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

4Likes
  • 1 Post By derin
  • 1 Post By Dutchie
  • 1 Post By derin
  • 1 Post By JsXLine6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

JS1000 project feasibility?

My JS1000 just collects dust sadly, so I thought I'd breather some new life into it and give it the black dog treatment with the silver/gold markers. I dont want the artwork to get rubbed off, so am wondering is it possible to clearcoat it? I've never painted anything more complicated than a ceiling.... should I hit it with the pen, then hand it off to a luthier to finish up the clear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2020, 07:01 PM

Re: JS1000 project feasibility?

Yes, you can easily clear coat over artwork if done correctly. Compatibility will depend on the type of marker/clear coat combination you use (some clear can "melt" weak marker ink causing it to run). Your best bet is to use a 2K poly clear (such as the 2K Clear Glamour by SprayMax) but take the safety precautions seriously! I'm not sure what kind of art pens work best (ask Joe! ). Ideally you would first lightly scuff sand the entire body (this creates a better mechanical bond b/t old and new clear coats), wipe down with a weak solvent (like naphtha), do your art, then begin applying the new clear coat. First pass should be a very light mist to lock in the art, after this dries you can continue with light-medium wet coats until you build up an acceptable thickness (up to you). This is the general approach...you could also hand off to a luthier.

The only thing I would caution is make sure you want to do this! I don't know about you, but my tastes (and talent) at drawing changes all the time. Depending on how good you are at art and finishing, you could easily end up with something less than satisfying. Why not do a complete refinish? Pick a great color you like (maybe with a little reflective flake in it), have the local auto paint shop mix it up and put in a rattle can for you, apply, then finish with clear. Just an option, good luck!
Kasper Kowalski likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 02:16 AM

I have used Posca paint pens to give an old JS100 the Donnie paint scheme and I cleared it with Duplicolour clear and it worked fine. I dont know if Posca do the gold & silver though.

Your best bet would be to go down to Bunnings or something and buy some scrap wood and do some testing.

As derin mentioned, 2K Spray Max is great stuff but its not easy to find in Oz and its friggin expensive when you do find it. I bought a can about 2 weeks ago and it cost me $60. I have a link to where I bought it if you need it. If you use 2K, make sure you use a ventilator and gloves. You DO NOT want to breath this stuff in. Its extremely dangerous. Also once mixed, this paint has a shelf life of about 48 hours. It will harden in the can and you will have to throw it out.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

is clear done as is, or is the final coat sanded and polished?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 02:19 PM

Ah yes, the clear coat does needs sanding and polishing to achieve a nice finished look. Depending on how much "orange peel" (bumpiness) the final clear coat has, wet sand using progressively finer grits with a small flat block (like a 9v battery). I typically go: 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, and 2000. After that polish with various polishing compounds (I use 3M Finesse It -> Perfect It -> Hand Glaze). Hope that helps!

Yikes! I didn't think 2k sprays would be that expensive down there. Dutchie is absolutely right about safety precautions and shelf life. Happy to answer more questions!
Dutchie likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 09:00 PM

Definitely doable! Here's a pic of something my pops did.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12Uh...w?usp=drivesdk

That was done with silver sharpie. It's cleared with a stewmac brand water based clear, painted with a spray gun not a can. Please be sure to post a pic when you're done. I'd love to see what you come up with!

Tags
satriani

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode