JS1000 questions - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

JS1000 questions

I've just taken delivery of my second JS1000 - this one being a secondhand purchase off **** and I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping someone can answer.....and allay my fears that I've bought a dud.

The JS in question is a '98 model and while it was described as white, in reality it's more of an antique white or ivory colour. I questioned the seller, thinking it was an accumulation of grime but he says that this was the colour from new. Can anyone confirm that the early models were indeed not pure white?

The other thing is the pickup selector - the bridge pickup is active when the toggle switch is in the 'up' position, unlike my JS1000 BTB. Again I questioned this but I'm told it's the original switch and hasn't been replaced/rewired.

It doesn't make a whole heap of difference to the playability but it's put some doubts in my mind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 07:00 PM

Re: JS1000 questions

The seller is giving you a load of crap ...

The JS1000 was always white white, not cream white. They shouldn't yellow over time either unless he did something extreme to it, so I would question whether it has been refinished.

The switch should be like your other guitar. If the bridge is active with the switch up, the wiring has definitely been hacked up.

Good luck with it.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 07:03 PM

Hello mate. Firstly, congrats on the guitar. Secondly, I hope it's not a dud!

For what it's worth, I had 2 white JS's (an original 1 and a 1000) and can only say that, from my own experience, the colour on the guitars I had was NOT pure white, but a SLIGHT ivory colour (which, in fact, became more ivory as the guitar aged and I gigged with it in pubs etc). The 1000 was bought from new and was 'more White' than the 1, but definitely not what I, personally, would call pure white, but also definitely not what I would call Ivory. I guess 'off-white' is the best way I could describe it! Hard to compare without seeing the pics of your guitar.

As far as the pickup toggle switch, it could be as innocent as the switch having rotated into the wrong direction in its socket. or someone having purposely rotated it as a preference. Try unscrewing the ring around the toggle switch and rotating the switch (its worth unscrewing the electronics cavity cover at the back of the guitar and looking at the switch from underneath while you do this to ensure its not snagging and can indeed be rotated). I really don't know how far the switch will rotate, but I do know it can definitely be rotated to some degree, as I've done it myself in the past.

Not near my guitar right now to see if this would work, but I hope it helps.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 07:28 PM

It depends on your definition of white I guess. A slightly off-white, I would still consider white. But a definite ivory is a whole other thing. Maybe if you have spent long enough in a smoky bar ...

The only concern with the color is whether you are happy with it or not. The switch should not really a concern because the wiring can easily be fixed.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 08:25 PM

Reviews: 18

Ryan,

If you haven't noticed, most white JS's will turn to a vintage white after a while. It's not a blem but just a normal occurrence that happens over time. Ask Rich or look at some of the pictures of the ones he's sold over time. The weird thing is that some of the JS's will have that side effect whereas others won't.

46Nonout, did you purchase the guitar from someone in Japan or China? There was a guy who was selling his JS1000 here (it should be in the sale section) and it looked fine from the pics. He later put it on sale on the bay (item #150169400934). If you're not happy with the guitar, let me know and I'll buy it from you provided that it is the same guitar in question.

Hope everything works out for you.

Jimmy

Last edited by jb4674; 10-16-2007 at 08:54 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 12:52 PM

My $.02

I've talked to a lot of guys who finish/paint guitars, including some of the craftsmen at Hoshino (ibanez/tama) and there seems to me a consensus that most clear coats gradually yellow a bit over time.

It is more noticeable for some colors than others, and obviously white will show it most of all. Quality of the finish makes a difference too, $100 guitars and $5000 guitars are often not using the same clear coats.

I was told that it can be mitigated somewhat by wiping down the guitar and generally being proper about keeping it clean, and most importantly let the case air out regularly. IF you keep the guitar stored in the case for long periods various materials and chemicals (from the finish for example) volatilize and build up in high concentration accelerating the oxidation and chemical changes in the clear coat that cause the yellowing.

So when you play, don't close the case, leave it open while your playing every now and then. And like your dog, your instrument needs to be taken out for a walk and some playing now and then. You can decide for your self to whcih "instrument" I refer.

Oh, here is an anecdote. You can sort of tell from the pic i posted in another thread that my pearl blue roadstar has yellowed a bit as a result of being stored and unopened for over ten years after I graduated from college. OTOH my lovely Yamaha APX 10 (not pictured) is almost as old (purchased a year after the RS II in '88 ) and is as gorgeous a maroon and the ivory inlays and accents are as white as the day I purchased. I attribute the difference between the two partially to the higher quality in some aspects of the finishing of the Yamaha (it was a much higher end guitar), and partially to the fact that I have regularly played and kept clean the Yamaha.

Last edited by Oatman; 10-17-2007 at 01:07 PM. Reason: link to other thread showing my yellowed rg440pb
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 01:18 PM

I have a JS1000WH (FOR SALE) and she's definetly vintage white. It may look as white in the pics but time just turns these axes yellow (most PGM's I've seen are the same):

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...20JS1000%20WH/

I think they look great all aged down like that!

As for the switch, it should be definetly the other way around however, that's simply a matter of unscrewing the thing and rotating it the way you want it. My Js10th came with a rotated switch as well and I fixed it in 2 seconds.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 01:35 PM

I think the only white Ibanez that does NOT yellow is the 7VWH, which was specifically "designed" to that purpose...

Every other one yellows, slightly at least, and it looks GREAT!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the answers and advice guys.

To answer Jimmy's question, the guitar was bought privately from a seller in the UK and was his first sale on that well known site. He supplied phone numbers and even offered to make a 200 mile round trip to deliver it, because of a postal strike here in the UK, so he didn't exactly fly under the radar.

It wasn't the item number that you quoted but was this one...#140160785998, if any one wants to take a look and comment any further.

For a guitar of the age it is, it's in A1 nick and hardly looks played

I'm pleased to bits with the guitar but was just taken aback initially by the colour and that started to put some doubts into my mind.

I think I'm suitably reasurred now and I'll post some pics of my rather meagre guitar collection when I can.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 05:10 PM

Reviews: 18

That's one of the shings that I totally dig about the JS1000WH or JS1WH, the whole "vintage white" anomaly. Zero, how much do you want for that JS of yours?

Jimmy

Tags
bridge pickup , cavity cover , clear coat , guitar collection , toggle switch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode