JS1000 revived - LOTS of swirl pics inside :) - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

4Likes
  • 4 Post By champ222

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

JS1000 revived - LOTS of swirl pics inside :)

Hi All

So i have a whole bunch of ibanez guitars, and ive always had a thing for the JS/Radius Shape. I have a JS100 upgraded with Edge Pro and dimarzios and i love it!

Last year some time, i bought a very tatty JS1000.

I paid £235 from Cash Converters, via ebay.

So, when it arrived, it seemed ok, solid, but very beaten up. I thought i took some photos when it arrived, but it turns out i didnt. The ebay pics are long gone.

The trem was broken: (ive actually now had this blasted and painted, ive rebuilt it and its in the drawer waiting for another project)

so i managed to negotiate £80 back, so the guitar, with a generic hard case (which was equally battered) cost be £155 - Bargain!

This is the state the body was in:

Dimarzio Fred and Paf Pro (s1)... check:

The Neck has some marks to the back, and the fretboard, there is some fret wear too:

So i made some enquiries about getting the body resprayed in white (i'd love a white JS or Radius) but the quotes i was getting were daft, so i thought i might shelve it until i can learn to paint.

In January this year, i stumbled across Richard Fay's old website and got in touch, he then mentioned that he was getting back into swirling. Well i hadnt really thought about a swirl, ive been a bit on the fence about swirls, but i thought it could work well on a JS body.

So about a month later, i sent the body and and neck off to Rich for a swirl finish

A little while later, he sent me some photos of it primed and ready: I still want a white one!

Then, a few weeks later, i got the pics from the swirl:

Very Happy with that!! just what i was after

So i wanted the JS logo on the headstock, so i found one online, a waterslide and got it over to Rich:

So a few weeks later, i get a message from rich saying the clear coat is done, followed by some more photos:

It was then left to fully dry, before he polished it up:

I'm really pleased how it turned out.

So ive had it back with me for a while, and i finally got around to finishing it off.

The JS1000s had black Nuts (wierldly), and cosmo trems, knobs, tuners etc. now i dont like how the cosmo finish doesnt hold up, and i dont think it ages well at all, so i tend to go for proper black for my projects. Which as it happens works nicely with the Nut.

I had a mint black low pro edge in by parts box, so i transferred the saddle shims over to this:

a bit of sharpie, helps to hide the shims:

Job done

New pair of studs fitted:

New Bournes push pull pots, new switch, new knobs and pickup rings (not ibanez ones, but nice quality)

I smoothed out the back of the neck a bit, lightly sanded the fretboard, gave the frets a polish, oiled the fretboard. I did the wiring, as per the JS1000/1200 diagram.

Fitted the neck, strung it up. set it up and this is the result:

All that is left is to determine if i want to change the pickups. This has the Fred and PAF Pro, my JS100 has the Mo Joe and the PAF Joe. I need to spend some time with both to see which i prefer, then move them onto this.
jemsite, Dutchie, Tuga666 and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 10:32 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: JS1000 revived - LOTS of swirl pics inside :)

nicely done!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
nicely done!!!!!!!!!
Thanks, although i cant take too much credit myself really.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 05:06 PM

Wow, very nice. I like the swirl colors. I had a feeling that this looks very familiar somehow and had a look to my gin&whisky cupboard. This looks very much like the Finnish Gin brand Arctic Gin bottle label, no wonder it felt so appealing. Here's a pic http://www.goodnewsfinland.com/wp-co...Blue-Gin-1.jpg

If you ever want to part with this, gimme a PM .
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Thats spookily similar lol

Tags
js1000 , swirl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode