JS1000 rosewood colour - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

JS1000 rosewood colour

I have 2 JS 1000, one white, and one Black Pearl.
Both about the same age.

The colour of the rosewood fretboards are very different.
The BP is very light, and the white one has a fretboard dark alsmost like ebony. There is a big difference.

After googeling around, looking at pictures, it is pretty clear that the colour vary a lot.

Why is this? If I would manufacture guitars, I would not accept this inconstistency.

Or, do Ibanez use different coloured fretboards because of different colour on the body?

I picked up the Black Pearl one at a pawn shop, where it had been in the window, and the fretboard was very dry, and VERY lifgt in colour.
I applied some lemon oil, and this drakened the board a lot, but itīs still not close to the White one.

The lighter fretboard is also pretty uneven, "flamed".

Cosmetic issues, I know, but Iīm just curious.

Anybody got some thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 08:05 AM

Re: JS1000 rosewood colour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmountain View Post

Why is this? If I would manufacture guitars, I would not accept this inconstistency.

because they are from different trees ?? Do you assume the inside of each looks alike ?
You can stain the lighter one if it bothers you. I say let it go. Who cares
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for a quick answer!
I agree, itīs not a big deal - only a cosmetic thing.
However, Iīm still curious why Ibanez let the difference be this big.
Is it intentional or by accident?
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 08:12 AM

its intentional think of it like a swirl of sorts each board is unique to each guitar.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 09:12 AM

As you probably already know by now, and what you have already discovered, it's not unusual to have two variations of color in rosewood. They all vary in color, and a lot can contribute to that, sunlight, dryness, etc. I wouldn't worry about the color differences at all.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 07:35 AM

Reviews: 65

Even the most expensive woods in the world or hardwoods like Tiger Myrtle, Bocote, Crossgrained Oak, Kingwood, Cocobollo, Makassar Ebony .... can very largely in color.
Unless you are able to have a guitar custom build for you and choose the wood IN PERSON from the log, you will most likely have to live with the fact that this is a natural thing and may differ from your expectation.

The only chance you have from stock guitars is if the shop carries several of the model and you can select the one closest to your expectations.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmountain View Post
However, Iīm still curious why Ibanez let the difference be this big.
Is it intentional or by accident?
It's neither. It's you. You need to get over it. Many companies dye their ebony jet black. I hate that. I'd rather have natural streaks, but others think it looks bad. If I were at Ibanez I would not only allow the "inconsistencies" but as a woodworker I celebrate it. Rosewood darkens with time, play, and the addition of oils. The lighter one will darken.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 01:16 PM

Just noticed you have only these two posts here. I don't mean to sound harsh or make you feel unwelcome! Perhaps I should have simply said "it's a problem for some but enjoyed by others, and I wouldn't direct any negativity toward Ibanez over it.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfalbo View Post
Just noticed you have only these two posts here. I don't mean to sound harsh or make you feel unwelcome! Perhaps I should have simply said "it's a problem for some but enjoyed by others, and I wouldn't direct any negativity toward Ibanez over it.
No problem
You didnīt sound harsh. I appreciate the input.

Itīs no biggie really. I am just curious.
The guitar is still a great one (thatīs why I hav 2)

I didnīt want to be negative about Ibanez either.
Iīm just wondering if the difference ("milk chocolate" vs "liqourice"..sort of) is a generation thing (year of manufacture), something to do with the colour of the body (most pics of white JS1000 show a very dark board, for instance), or if Ibanez simply let there be differences intentionally. I guess from the aswers, that itīs the latter, which is cool. I do like a dark board better, but thats my opinion.
A problem may be that ordering a guitar online, with differences this big, may give one a surprise. Maybe youīd like the light board, as on the shops pic, but get a dark one, or vice versa.

But, as I said, Itīs not really a problem for me. The guitar is still great, and looks great (allthough not as good as my white JS1000 )
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 07:02 PM
Vendor

Ibanez has nothing to do with it, Fujigen builds the guitars using wood Fujigen has sourced. There are lots of different genomes of rosewood and they're grown in every part of the world, and the world woods market is huge. Like everything else suppliers change over time. It's more than likely just simply different rosewood.

Last edited by Rich; 10-16-2011 at 07:13 PM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 09:21 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfalbo View Post
............If I were at Ibanez I would not only allow the "inconsistencies" but as a woodworker I celebrate it.
I LOVE this statement!!!

Sadly, these sentiments are only found in small groups of "Woodphiles" like ourselves........yes, I just made that word up

It seems that many years ago you could talk to people about "sapwood" or "heartwood" and they knew what you were talking about. Now they only care that it's wood and demand that it matches their dishes.......lol
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 12:37 AM

Sometimes I like light rosewood boards. But you can always darken a light board with a little pigment in oil. As I said, they all darken with age as well. Though not the primary reason for different board colors, different parts of the same rosewood tree can be different colors. It doesn't even have to mean different suppliers, different regions, etc.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 04:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Ibanez has nothing to do with it, Fujigen builds the guitars using wood Fujigen has sourced. There are lots of different genomes of rosewood and they're grown in every part of the world, and the world woods market is huge. Like everything else suppliers change over time. It's more than likely just simply different rosewood.
Quote:
Sometimes I like light rosewood boards. But you can always darken a light board with a little pigment in oil. As I said, they all darken with age as well. Though not the primary reason for different board colors, different parts of the same rosewood tree can be different colors. It doesn't even have to mean different suppliers, different regions, etc.
Yeah, this is probably it. makes totally sence

Thanks everybody!

Tags
js1000 fretboard colour

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode