JS1000 or SV5470 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

JS1000 or SV5470

Hey guys,

I am enlisting some of your knowledge. First off yes I am trying to get my hands on both guitars to see which I like better, but the SV5470 is a hard one to track down in stores. I live in a big city, but I guess SV5470s are not really a big seller. There is a guitar show in April, which I will try and get my hands on one then.

But I would like to know from any of you guys that may have played both, which do you prefer? Basically I like the slim bodies that both guitars have, which is what I am looking for, and I would like to have the coil tap option so that I can have the variety of single coils on the guitar.

JS1000, has 2 HB Pickups, which I really don't use a middle pickup so its not needed like the SV has. My current Ibby had 24 frets, and I don't really play much higher than 21. The difference between the necks, I currently have a Wizard I neck, and played on a squire neck for many years, so either neck should be fine for me.

The sustain issues with the SV5470 consern me, as the drop off is really steep from what I have heard, and I like to do some leads that would have some real emotion behind them, and then have it cut off suddenly would kill it. But I like the color options for the SV5470 better, but that is not a deal breaker for me.

Those are some of the main points that I am contemplating, but I would like to hear from you guys that have played both, what you liked and disliked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 04:21 PM

Re: JS1000 or SV5470

Their necks are polar opposites. The JS-neck is more rounded like a strat. The S necks are flatter. I personally like the JS-neck better, but if you are used to the wizard profile you may like the SV better.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 06:45 PM

Reviews: 18

My choice would be the JS1000. The JS has a more ergonomic feel to it and it can give you a multitude of sounds and it also cleans up really well. Although a lot of people compare the JS neck to that of a strat (myself included), the neck is a tad slimmer than a strat, hence why most people will make that kind of association. I don't know exactly where you are location wise (*hint hint*you should edit your profile and put your location *hint hint*) but, if you decide to buy a JS, Rich would be the person I'd order it from.

Jimmy
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 05:17 AM

I'm totally biased but I'd say go with the JS if you want a really versatile guitar with plenty of sustain and body to the sound. But be aware that it has the classic style block bolt on neck joint, albeit slanted, compared to the more modern all access neck joints on the SV. I know what you mean about the SV finishes though, the sunburst flame top looks very nice, but I really don't like the input jack being on the front of the guitar, the JS is tucked away by the back strap button which is a nice feature.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

I am in the dallas area, and from all the positive feedback, and the desire to get the best playing instrument, I will defiently being using Rich for my purchase, with either guitar that I choose.

As for the necks, I really like my strat for rythum stuff, but its not that great for fast leads for me, by my current Ibby is better for leads that rythums. From what I understand the JS has a multi radius neck? where the neck is more rounded at the low end for rythums, and flatter at the higher registers for leads? Can you guys confirm this, if that is the case, then that is a really nice mix.

The sustain is defiently one thing that is important to me, and the SV using modded IBZs is not that thrilling, as I would assume the JS's pickups would be alot better. I am hoping to run down to the local guitar shop and try out a JS today.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

I went to GC here, and finally got to play on a JS1000. I also played on the mid range S to compare with. I figure in the end the differences between a mid range S and prestige S are going to be small, but I could be wrong. And yes I took in account that neither guitar had been properly set up, so they were only playing a percentage of what they would have properly setup.

Overall I think the JS is hands down the better playing and sounding guitar. It was super easy to play, and very articulate. So after playing one the only grips now that I have is color options. I love the neck, it feels like a nice mix between a strat and wizard. It was a tad on the small size, but I feel like that more I would play it the more I wouldn't notice it. The profile on the guitar is simply amazing even down the the Tremelo. The pups on it were subtle but would make the notes sing, and now I fully understand what the sound of the tapped coils would be. I really like the high pass on the volume pot, I would make alot of use of that.

So at this point I feel like that is the guitar for me, so now my only problem is coming up with the money to get it and well hoping at that point Rich can get it to me with out my anticipation killing me. good problems to have.

Thanks guys for your help.

Tags
js1000 , sv5470

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode