JS1000 Year Differences - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

JS1000 Year Differences

Searched the forum for this, but it didn't turn up anything.

Anyway, I am looking to buy either a new or used JS1000BP soon and have noticed a big difference between a 98, 99, 00, 01 & 02 models, but have yet to see any difference in bodies, necks, pickups or etc. From what I can tell, these are the only differences:

1998 - Lo-Pro Edge, White & Burnt Transparent Blue offered, Rosewood Fretboard.

1999 - Edge, Black Pearl & White offered, Dark Rosewood Fretboard.

2000 - Lo-Pro Edge, Black Pearl & White offered, Dark Rosewood Fretboard, JS Prestige Neck.

2001 - Lo-Pro Edge, Black Pearl, White & Burnt Transparent Blue offered, Dark Rosewood Fretboard.

2002 - Same as 2001.

Specs via Pino's site: http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip...29/index1.html

Anyway, looks to me like in 99' it says its a Edge Tremolo instead of Lo-Pro Edge, which I don't know if that is a mistake or not, but why would they change it only one year?

In 2000, a JS Prestige Neck is introduced, but none of the other years have it according to the specs. I am guessing that it is standard now, but was 2000 the first year it was used? I thought Joe's favorite neck was scanned and put into production long before 2000.

Also, I have noticed from a few pictures, the headstocks seemed to change. The 1999 & before models seem to have a white line & gold lettering where the Ibanez symbol is while later models have a all gold symbols & lettering on the headstock.

Sorry for this long post, but I couldn't find any answers elsewhere & I tried not to leave anything out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 04:52 PM
Vendor

The edge was only available in 98' on the 10th and 90th models, but is also standard on the JS900.

Colors are dependant on country. BTB has been available overseas for some time, not sure when it was first introduced as they've never been offered for sale here [till this year ]

All signature models get Prestige finishing, they just started advertising it at some point. The gold logo was introduced in 94'. Prior to that it was a white logo.

98's was the year they changed to the digitized multi-radius fretboard.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Good show as always Rich.

One last thing though, you said "The gold logo was introduced in 94'. Prior to that it was a white logo", right? Well, I was looking though eBay and came across a 99' with a white stripe & gold lettering. Here is the picture:

http://ebay1.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_...c2ce6e/i-6.JPG

Unless the camera is playing tricks on me, it looks white. And I am pretty sure it is a 99' by the other pictures.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

BTW, to compare, this is what I usually see on newer JS1000, all gold stripe & lettering.

http://members.cox.net/pumpkinlad/untitled5.JPG
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 05:28 PM
Vendor

Gotta agree it looks white, but should be gold.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Gotta agree it looks white, but should be gold.
So I am not crazy? And I can't think why for the life of me he would replace the neck from a newer version of the JS1000 with a older one.

If anyone wants to see the rest of the pictures or the serial number search eBay for "JS 1000". As much as I like JS1000s, I don't know if I would trust buying one off eBay for this reason. Rich, you offer layway?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Colors are dependant on country. BTB has been available overseas for some time, not sure when it was first introduced as they've never been offered for sale here [till this year ]
We first got the BTB in the 94 catalogue. The blurb stated "TB" but the spec list stated BTB. Interestingly neither colour featured on the colour chart in that catalogue!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 05:37 PM
Vendor

Were all gold from 94' on [acording to the catalogs, I don't deal in any of them with that cheasy inlay]

I do layaway on new [more like I'll collect payments till it's paid off then procure, I'm not going to stock an extra axe for months till it's paid for], but reluctantly, keeping track of paperwork is not one of my strong points!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I do layaway on new [more like I'll collect payments till it's paid off then procure, I'm not going to stock an extra axe for months till it's paid for], but reluctantly, keeping track of paperwork is not one of my strong points!
Only on new, you say? Looks like this poor college student may be moving back home soon then.

My 1994 Fender Squier isn't what it used to be. Then again, I didn't expect much out of a then $150 guitar 5 years ago.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 05:46 PM
Vendor

The US got the TB, I'm not positive you didn't get a straight TB model in 94'. Would be nice to know for sure.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 05:49 PM
Vendor

Yup, only new
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Update!

I e-mailed the seller of the auction for closer pictures of the headstock. Here is what he sent me.

http://members.cox.net/pumpkinlad/head.jpg

http://members.cox.net/pumpkinlad/head2.jpg

White & no serial number or other markings on the back on the neck. I really want a JS1000BP, but I don't think I can trust eBay. Plus, the extra $150 or so I could get one from Rich for would be well worth it.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 09:02 PM
Vendor

The serial # is there, I can see the very blurry CE

Tags
burnt transparent blue , edge trem , pro edge , rosewood fretboard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode