JS1000BP WILL NOT STAY IN TUNE!!!ARGH! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

JS1000BP WILL NOT STAY IN TUNE!!!ARGH!

You get the idea. I brought it home a week ago, and Ive been battling it since. My buddy and I set the action, it was sorta high, and it still isnt fixed. I stretched the strings, but to no avail. Im hoping it just needs a string change, which I will do tomorrow.
Problem 1) The entire guitar slowly goes flat. That is incredibly annoying.
Problem 2) As I go farther up the neck, it gets even flatter! That is even more annoying.
Problem 3) It should not be doing this. Ive checked everything...perfect neck (no bow), perfect action since me and my buddy fixed that, stretched strings, no problems anywhere. This guitar is perfect, pristine, except it cant hold its tuning! If a string change doesnt help, should I switch to 10s or add another spring? Oh and by the way, I rarely use the bar. And when I use the bar, it doesnt hurt the tuning, so its not that problem. This is the most advanced bridge in the entire world! Why oh why does this happen to EVERY SINGLE IBANEZ that I own? Thanks in advance for the help guys!
smitty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 05:53 PM

Re: JS1000BP WILL NOT STAY IN TUNE!!!ARGH!

My 2000 570 was going out of tune until I discovered that the locking trem posts were not locked. Now it's rock solid.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitvai1 View Post
My 2000 570 was going out of tune until I discovered that the locking trem posts were not locked. Now it's rock solid.
You don't need them. Ibanez has said as much because they don't put them in guitars anymore.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke^in View Post
You don't need them. Ibanez has said as much because they don't put them in guitars anymore.

Dont think thats the prob. Idk it just slowly gets flatter....like I get it in tune, and then 10 minutes later its down a semistep, however big or small it may be.
smitty
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitvai1 View Post
same here.

If yoouve got the original strings on there, the're not goin to stay in tune very well.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 06:00 PM

sounds like ur intonation is pretty bad too
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Why oh why does this happen to EVERY SINGLE IBANEZ that I own?
Um, not to be critical, but maybe it's you...

It sounds like 1) your strings really aren't fully stretched yet, and 2) your intonation is off. A good setup should be able to sort it out. New strings would be a good idea too.

Good luck.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 06:22 PM

all of the above and check that the nut is not "wandering" see how tight the nut screws are !
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 07:00 PM

i think its evil jedi mind tricks, lol no do what all theses guys said and it should be good to go
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 07:04 PM
Vendor

Never start a thread on setup issues of a guitar that you haven't changed the strings on. Change the strings then see where you are
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Change the strings then see where you are
And then stretch the strings out. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people with tuning issues that don't stretch out the strings. This is something my brother drilled in my head when I was about 10 years old (and it stuck with me, at a very young and impressionable age).
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxadam View Post
And then stretch the strings out. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people with tuning issues that don't stretch out the strings. This is something my brother drilled in my head when I was about 10 years old (and it stuck with me, at a very young and impressionable age).
oh yeah dude. I stretch the strings very long and hard. Im always afraid I might break them I stretch them so much. But Ill pull a string change tomorrow and see what happens. But how is it that my action is perfect but my intonation is off? hmm....
smitty
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 01:59 AM

action and intonation are totally different things my friend.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 03:33 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
oh yeah dude. I stretch the strings very long and hard. Im always afraid I might break them I stretch them so much. But Ill pull a string change tomorrow and see what happens. But how is it that my action is perfect but my intonation is off? hmm....
smitty
your 'problem 2' sounds definately like bad intonation

action and intonation are slightly related but different, only in really big changes does action affect intonation.

as for intonation:
you must adjust the bridge saddles so each string length over the entire fret board when fretted at the 12th (or harmonic) give the exact octave above the open note. That is how the fretboard is scaled, then all the notes fall in line. If the saddle is too far back (away from the neck)...the string is longer...so the octave is now below the 12th fret. When you go to fret at the 12th in this case; it will be flat (or get 'flatter' as you describe going up the neck). If the bridge saddle is to far forward...you get the sharp situation.

http://www.jemsite.com/tech/1setup.htm#step6

as for the slowly drifting tuning problem the first thing I can think of is to make sure your trem angle is set correctly

Also check the bow of your neck. And be careful with truss rod adjustments...I learned the hard way how not to make truss rod adjustments.

good luck

Last edited by megawzrd; 10-29-2006 at 03:40 AM.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by megawzrd View Post
your 'problem 2' sounds definately like bad intonation

action and intonation are slightly related but different, only in really big changes does action affect intonation.

as for intonation:
you must adjust the bridge saddles so each string length over the entire fret board when fretted at the 12th (or harmonic) give the exact octave above the open note. That is how the fretboard is scaled, then all the notes fall in line. If the saddle is too far back (away from the neck)...the string is longer...so the octave is now below the 12th fret. When you go to fret at the 12th in this case; it will be flat (or get 'flatter' as you describe going up the neck). If the bridge saddle is to far forward...you get the sharp situation.

http://www.jemsite.com/tech/1setup.htm#step6

as for the slowly drifting tuning problem the first thing I can think of is to make sure your trem angle is set correctly

Also check the bow of your neck. And be careful with truss rod adjustments...I learned the hard way how not to make truss rod adjustments.

good luck
thanks alot man!
smitty

Tags
bridge saddles , fret board , rod adjustment , truss rod , truss rod adjustment , truss rod adjustments

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode