JS10th... few questions from an owner - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

JS10th... few questions from an owner

I've been a life-long Satch fan and bought a JS10th with my girlfriend (now wife) when they came out and Joe was doing a concert in Detroit. It was a great bonding experience for us and although we had no money and put it on a credit card (the beginning of our financial troubles , it was a great memory. It was hanging in GC in a display case...#10 serial number. We thought it was gonna send our kids to college one day LOL
Anyway.. I had him sign it (on the back of the headstock) and he played it for a few minutes. I played it (very lightly for a few minutes) and since then it's been in it's case (was displayed in a wall case for a few years as well). I take it out a few times a year to look it over, but don't play it. It's MINT, all case candy (still wrapped up,etc.)

I've actually got 2 questions...
1)Is there a market for "non-players" like this in this economy?

2)I hate that it just sits in it's case. It had such an amazing sound and the neck is to die for! Would I hurt any potential value of it if I played it?

I wouldn't gig with it (my only gig is leading worship @ church, and although I rock an electric every Sunday, this would be a bit distracting LOL

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 02:38 AM

Re: JS10th... few questions from an owner

There will always be a market for collectors. Sounds like exactly what a collector would look for too, if it hasnt/has rarely been played. Playing it could hurt the value if it gets pick marks or any wear, no matter how light.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 09:55 AM

Reviews: 59

There's always someone willing to buy something like that. Having it signed validates the claim that Joe actually picked it up and fiddled on it (albeit briefly I'm sure) and that should help the value. Hopefully there's minimal scratches and wear on it. As for price, I'd probably ask Rich in a PM or separate email through his ibanezrules site if he could give you a ball park figure. He'll likely comment on this thread as well.
Good luck with what you decide to do with it.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 10:34 AM

There's a market for 10ths, both mint/unplayed and used with battle scars. I have owned over 12 of these in various conditions and never had a problem selling for a bit more than paid.

You have a great number 10 of a 10th, how cool. But it would obviously worth more the cleaner it is....

As for having Joe's sig on it, I don't think it adds value. Some say it detracts. I never had him sign any of mine.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Vendor

Good number, but it's real value lies in how good the chrome is. You may not have played it but some of these were horrible right out of the case. #4 was so pathetically scratchy no serious collector would want it. Add to that these early numbers were more likely nickel colored instead of chrome. much more yellow than blue in the overtones. That's part of the "charm" of a lower number, but only if the chrome is seriously in perfect condition, no light scratches, no hairs or much dust under the surface, etc. Nobody cares if Joe played it, and as Renato said, many would prefer it not have been signed on the wood. Back cover signatures much more acceptible.

Value depends on if you actually want to sell it. There are some very strong asking prices out there, none finding buyers. Check e-bay for examples. I know of one that did sell at $8500 last year but he had found that [sucker] off e-bay and it was listed just to complete the deal with protections. There's nothing to say that's not the right price for these, Roman sold several for $10k new, but big spenders like that are few and far between. Real value for an actual sale price somewhere in the $5-7k range probably.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I'll try to snap some pics and post a link and see what you guys think. We could really use the money right now (we had a house that didn't sell for 18 months!!)

Rich, I check **** ever so often, I've seen those high priced ones, they always seem to be same pictures But I've seen a few around $5000 that never sell either.

Thanks again!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 01:28 PM
Vendor

Pictures of chrome only show what you want them to show. I'd seen plenty of pics of #4 and it looked pristine, but in hand wasn't worth 1/2 the asking price.

It's not a good economy, sometimes using a dealer to broker it might be a decent option also
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

OK, so how do you sell an item and how does the buyer look at it if pictures aren't an option ?

I'm guessing any chrome guitar would look horrid in a photo (from a non professional like myself)...the flash would make it tough to see...I'll have to try and see.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 02:28 PM
Vendor

Exactly opposite, the pics will make them all look perfect. I call them glamour pics. Most of the battle is to get the buyer to believe it actually is perfect.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 03:31 PM

interesting ! it's exactely the same for black guitars !
how they are glossy-perfect on the pictures, and how they can be ugly under another light,
seeing in real !
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 09:37 AM

very nice
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 09:04 PM

Cool Re: JS10th... few questions from an owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbruce View Post
I've been a life-long Satch fan and bought a JS10th with my girlfriend (now wife) when they came out and Joe was doing a concert in Detroit. It was a great bonding experience for us and although we had no money and put it on a credit card (the beginning of our financial troubles , it was a great memory. It was hanging in GC in a display case...#10 serial number. We thought it was gonna send our kids to college one day LOL
Anyway.. I had him sign it (on the back of the headstock) and he played it for a few minutes. I played it (very lightly for a few minutes) and since then it's been in it's case (was displayed in a wall case for a few years as well). I take it out a few times a year to look it over, but don't play it. It's MINT, all case candy (still wrapped up,etc.)

I've actually got 2 questions...
1)Is there a market for "non-players" like this in this economy?

2)I hate that it just sits in it's case. It had such an amazing sound and the neck is to die for! Would I hurt any potential value of it if I played it?

I wouldn't gig with it (my only gig is leading worship @ church, and although I rock an electric every Sunday, this would be a bit distracting LOL

Thanks!
I WILL BUY IT OFF YOU IF YOUR SELLING YOUR CHROME BOY SBRUCE I WONT BE OFFERING £5000.00 BUT NOT A BILLION MILES AWAY MAYBE WE COULD SORT SOME THING OUT...?CHEERS

Tags
js10

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode