js1200 edge pro info help - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

View Poll Results: wich bridge is supperior
original floyed 2 18.18%
lo-pro edge 7 63.64%
edge pro 3 1 9.09%
ZR 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

js1200 edge pro info help

first off i want to thank all of you for helping me out these last few weeks since i joined up here. and a special thanks to the people who put me in contact with rich harris.
so what i have been doing is a ton of research to see what i should and shouldnt do in preperation for when i make that call to rich to have everything and info he will need to take care of me. so im still undecided if im going to have him put in the MO JOE to replace the FRED so feel free to chime in on that as well if you want.
so here is the question.
from looking at reviews and other forums there seems to be confusion and mixed opinions on wich bridge is the best. original floyed, lo pro edge and the edge pro. so im asking you guys opinions on this matter since this it THE BEST ibanez forum out there IMO. so its to change from the edge pro or not.
this is what i have found so correct me if im wrong. satriani and via DO NOT use the edge pro on there guitars? it seems from others that they use the original floyed? some people say the newer bridges feel cheap when i think that all Ibanez bridges from Original Edge, Lo Pro, Edge III, are all made from cast aluminum. so that not adding up if true.
so what i think i have come up with that one guy said is the problem is with the locking studs on the newer edge pro and that can be fixed by replacing the stock studs with the studs from a lo-pro which have little set screws in them. so does this make any sence and i should have rich do this along with the platimum package and possible MO JOE replacement? thanks alot guys.
paul
oh yea if this helps i abuse the wammy or i should say i use it alot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 12:09 PM

Re: js1200 edge pro info help

I believe that Satches newer guitars have the low pro, but his older ones have the originals from what I can tell. I was in the same boat as you last year, and I was thinking of going for the Mo-Joe, but I would just stick with whats in there, I have been very happy with mine. And with the proper sound you can get everything from pretty to metal with it. And it shreds very nicely. As for the whammy, I beat mine up pretty well from time to time, and it has done wonders for me. And with Rich's killer setup it returns to pitch 99% of the time. That 1%, I just reverse the pull or push on the bar, and its back in tune.

Hope that helps.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufaza View Post
I believe that Satches newer guitars have the low pro, but his older ones have the originals from what I can tell. I was in the same boat as you last year, and I was thinking of going for the Mo-Joe, but I would just stick with whats in there, I have been very happy with mine. And with the proper sound you can get everything from pretty to metal with it. And it shreds very nicely. As for the whammy, I beat mine up pretty well from time to time, and it has done wonders for me. And with Rich's killer setup it returns to pitch 99% of the time. That 1%, I just reverse the pull or push on the bar, and its back in tune.

Hope that helps.
thanks mufaza. did you have rich put in the olded locking nuts?
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufaza View Post

Hope that helps.
on riches site the js1200 come with the newer edge pro and not the lo pro?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 12:13 PM

Reviews: 59

OK, I'll take a stab at this. I think you might be over-analysing things a bit. I wouldn't worry so much about changing the 1200 to match what Satch uses, it's an already great guitar without his mods and your tastes/hands might not agree with his.
You're correct in that Satriani/Vai don't use the Edge-pro that comes with their signature models. I know Satch uses the original Edge, pretty much exclusively, although his BP I think had the Edge Pro when he played it on the last tour. I don't know as much about Vai, but I'm pretty sure he's an original Edge user too.
In terms of build quality, I don't think there's any difference between the Edge and the Edge-pro. There is a little difference claimed by many in feel and particularly the flutter of the trem (I agree) and some of that is attributed to the trem's geometry, some of it is the trem's profile. I have guitars with both and I personally favor the Edge-pro, it's a little spongier if that makes any sense (doesn't flutter quite as nicely) whereas my Edge feels a bit stiffer (flutters really well). Both return to pitch when set-up correctly. The Edge has a little edge (pun intended) when it comes to intonation since there is a tool to more easily make adjustments, but otherwise, they are comparable bridges and it's a matter of personal taste. Also, the pro will allow you to leave the ball ends on your strings (not really an advantage if you, like me, string from the tuning pegs with the balls on) and the blocks locking the strings into the bridge don't fall out like they can on the Edge.
I would not consider any of the Edge III or later models. Yes, they're made of die cast aluminum, but the truth is in the details and the screws and other components that go into those trems are not of equal quality to their predecessors. Stick with the Edge or Edge-pro.
The problem with the Edge is that it will not fit the route for the 1200 without some modifications. You'll be looking at a signifcant amount of additional money to get the 1200 routed and refinished to accomodate the Edge. In that situation, you might as well refinish the guitar in whatever color you want (something you may or may not be already thinking).
I'd say to stick to the Edge-pro. It's a great trem, with the stud mod that Rich does you'll have no tuning problems (provided you know how to set things up) and you'll be happy. I've got the 1200 and I've not even thought about wanting a new guitar in well over a year and a half. It's that good and Rich does that good of a job in preparing the instrument. The only time you might wish you had an Edge is when you do intonation.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth55 View Post
OK, I'll take a stab at this. I think you might be over-analysing things a bit. I wouldn't worry so much about changing the 1200 to match what Satch uses, it's an already great guitar without his mods and your tastes/hands might not agree with his.
You're correct in that Satriani/Vai don't use the Edge-pro that comes with their signature models. I know Satch uses the original Edge, pretty much exclusively, although his BP I think had the Edge Pro when he played it on the last tour. I don't know as much about Vai, but I'm pretty sure he's an original Edge user too.
In terms of build quality, I don't think there's any difference between the Edge and the Edge-pro. There is a little difference claimed by many in feel and particularly the flutter of the trem (I agree) and some of that is attributed to the trem's geometry, some of it is the trem's profile. I have guitars with both and I personally favor the Edge-pro, it's a little spongier if that makes any sense (doesn't flutter quite as nicely) whereas my Edge feels a bit stiffer (flutters really well). Both return to pitch when set-up correctly. The Edge has a little edge (pun intended) when it comes to intonation since there is a tool to more easily make adjustments, but otherwise, they are comparable bridges and it's a matter of personal taste. Also, the pro will allow you to leave the ball ends on your strings (not really an advantage if you, like me, string from the tuning pegs with the balls on) and the blocks locking the strings into the bridge don't fall out like they can on the Edge.
I would not consider any of the Edge III or later models. Yes, they're made of die cast aluminum, but the truth is in the details and the screws and other components that go into those trems are not of equal quality to their predecessors. Stick with the Edge or Edge-pro.
The problem with the Edge is that it will not fit the route for the 1200 without some modifications. You'll be looking at a signifcant amount of additional money to get the 1200 routed and refinished to accomodate the Edge. In that situation, you might as well refinish the guitar in whatever color you want (something you may or may not be already thinking).
I'd say to stick to the Edge-pro. It's a great trem, with the stud mod that Rich does you'll have no tuning problems (provided you know how to set things up) and you'll be happy. I've got the 1200 and I've not even thought about wanting a new guitar in well over a year and a half. It's that good and Rich does that good of a job in preparing the instrument. The only time you might wish you had an Edge is when you do intonation.
wow great post! i though the edge pro 3 was the same as the edge pro? my bad on that. i have never had one of these edge pro bridges so when you say "provided you know how to things up: im not sure. if you read some of my other posts ive bee out of the game for ten years. i used to have an old kramer back when i played. not sure what kind of bridge it was. i just put the strings in, tuned it, locked the nuts then fine tuned it on the bridge if i hade too.
and yes your right, i was over thinking this. im just teying to get the best out of the js1200 as i can and having rich take care of me when im ready gives me all the confidence. im doing tons of research because this will be the first time i buy a guitar that i have never played, held, seen in peron etc. i have no doubts form what people have said on ALL boards that i will be happy with my purchase. thanks again!
paul
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

ibanezrules says the JS1200 has the edge pro not the low pro. people are voting for the lo pro?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

is there a way to edit the poll? to take out the edge pro 3 and put in the edge pro?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 12:57 PM

Smooth pretty much nailed it.

1000/1200's come with the edge pro these days. Satch plays a few equipped with the edge pro, but most of his guitars have the original edge.

I have both, and honestly I can't say I favor one significantly over the other.

My advice, take the 1200 with the Fred just as Rich sets it up, and you'll be floored at how great the guitar is.

I understand the trepidation in buying a guitar without laying hands on it first. When giving out advice to younger players who asked what guitar they should get I would always answer 'I can't tell you that, you need to get your hands on it first", and I generally still agree with that.

Go out and get your hands on a 1200 or 1000. Play it, listen to the tone, the sound, the feel. Then realize that the guitar you're playing is only a portion as good as it could be. Most Guitar Center wall hangers are set up like bricks. After I ordered my JS from Rich I went to GC to buy a strap. Low and behold they had a 1200 in stock. So I took it down and played it. I was not impressed, but I also knew a few things about set-ups, and the action was WAY high, intonation was off, the relief was off, etc.

This made me nervous that I might be buying a guitar that was no better than the 2 I already had (rg570 and Jem777dy). Boy was I wrong. Now I look at those guitars and think of what they might be if Rich had his way with them for a few days.

I took a blind leap of faith that the users of this forum were not misleading me on how good a job Rich does, and it paid off big time. That's one of the reasons I always try to point people Rich's direction. He's as good as advertised, if not better.

There's a lot of what appears to be Rich butt kissing that goes on here. Maybe there's some of that, but I honestly believe most of us who have bought from Rich just want others to be as happy with their guitars as we are with ours.

Geoff
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLG421 View Post
Smooth pretty much nailed it.

1000/1200's come with the edge pro these days. Satch plays a few equipped with the edge pro, but most of his guitars have the original edge.

I have both, and honestly I can't say I favor one significantly over the other.

My advice, take the 1200 with the Fred just as Rich sets it up, and you'll be floored at how great the guitar is.

I understand the trepidation in buying a guitar without laying hands on it first. When giving out advice to younger players who asked what guitar they should get I would always answer 'I can't tell you that, you need to get your hands on it first", and I generally still agree with that.

Go out and get your hands on a 1200 or 1000. Play it, listen to the tone, the sound, the feel. Then realize that the guitar you're playing is only a portion as good as it could be. Most Guitar Center wall hangers are set up like bricks. After I ordered my JS from Rich I went to GC to buy a strap. Low and behold they had a 1200 in stock. So I took it down and played it. I was not impressed, but I also knew a few things about set-ups, and the action was WAY high, intonation was off, the relief was off, etc.

This made me nervous that I might be buying a guitar that was no better than the 2 I already had (rg570 and Jem777dy). Boy was I wrong. Now I look at those guitars and think of what they might be if Rich had his way with them for a few days.

I took a blind leap of faith that the users of this forum were not misleading me on how good a job Rich does, and it paid off big time. That's one of the reasons I always try to point people Rich's direction. He's as good as advertised, if not better.

There's a lot of what appears to be Rich butt kissing that goes on here. Maybe there's some of that, but I honestly believe most of us who have bought from Rich just want others to be as happy with their guitars as we are with ours.

Geoff
thanks geoff and you are right. i feel so stupid! im 36 years old and i dont know what you mean by intonation being off? what does that mean please.
as far as going to play one what has held me back as its been along time since i have played and dont want to embarass myself. lame excuse huh. but yea i have emaild back and forth to rich and he seem like he knows his stuff. he told me to hold off on the questions to him untill im ready to buy because we will have to go over it all again when i order. and that makes sence. he says the fred will be fine and to save mt money. so im not going to bother him untill im ready to buy but then its no bother.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 01:59 PM

Reviews: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_paul_ski View Post
thanks geoff and you are right. i feel so stupid! im 36 years old and i dont know what you mean by intonation being off? what does that mean please.
as far as going to play one what has held me back as its been along time since i have played and dont want to embarass myself. lame excuse huh. but yea i have emaild back and forth to rich and he seem like he knows his stuff. he told me to hold off on the questions to him untill im ready to buy because we will have to go over it all again when i order. and that makes sence. he says the fred will be fine and to save mt money. so im not going to bother him untill im ready to buy but then its no bother.
I wouldn't worry too much about the trem. The Edge Pro is definitely superior when compared to the Edge III that comes in the JS-100. If you get the 1200 from Rich (and since you've been out of the game for quite sometime as you have put it) chances are you won't be touching the intonation for quite a while.

Pull the trigger already................

Jimmy
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 02:52 PM

Start Here Ibanez rules Tech section and make sure to continue on to the Used Guitar Primer - Cleanup To Setup

Then at some point go get a copy of Dan Erlewine's Guitar Player Repair guide I bought it bundled with How to Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great!: The Electric Guitar Owner's Manual

Both are great how-to's.

All you need to know for now is how to restring a 1200, and Ibanezrules or Jemsite tech sections cover that quite well.

Take it slow, you'll get there.

And forget the fact that you're 36. I'm 38, and not a whole lot ahead of you. I just had the same insight that you had... where to find people who knew the answers and could point me off in the right direction.

I never put my guitar down, but I sure as hell was in a major rut for 20 years. Played the same stuff once every few weeks. A new 1200CA goes a LONG way to reigniting the spark. I'm now playing about 15 hours a week. Have been tackling theory, starting to write some of my own stuff, trying to learn the art of recording it as well. Even have a few gray beards my age to jam with every now and again.

Geoff
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 03:37 PM

Reviews: 59

+1 to what Geoff's recommended. Since Rich doesn't give any discounts for butt-kissing, the people saying stuff about how good his guitar's are mean what they say.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 04:20 PM
Contributor

I have many JSs most with the Original Edge because they came that way and my 1200 has the edge pro. I personally prefer the edge pro and I question if people like the edge because it's better or because Satriani says it's better. I also have modified one guitar to the PAF JOE MO JO combo and I think I prefer the Fred to the MO JO. That being said these are just my preferences. The JS1200 is great as it is. Try it out. You can always change things later and then change them back again.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

you all are giving great advice and seem to be on the ame page and thanks. what does intonation mean?

Tags
edge pro question

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode