JS1200 Edge Pro maintenance - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

JS1200 Edge Pro maintenance

So i yesterday i finally got an '07 js1200 and since its all still really clean and sparkling id like to keep it that way for as long as possible, and hence i have a few questions regarding the up-keep of the trem system, neck and body.

Usually i run over the whole guitar with a micropore cloth and make sure its all dry and put it back in its case. My other guitar had the Edge 3 trem and we all know how it ate tarnish for every meal so im wondering what is best to keep the Edge Pro trem clean.

Also i used to use a small dab on lemon oil for the fretboard but ive read on here that other people like to use bore oil? Where could i get that and what does it do for the fretboard?

And finally, to protect the finish on the body and headstock what cleaner should i use? Just still use the cloth or a Dunlop style polish?

Sorry for sounding like a complete ibby newb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 05:55 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: JS1200 Edge Pro maintenance

For all of your maintenance and setup needs, go to Rich's site:
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm
Concerning bore oil--it can be found at most places that sell firearms. It contains a silicon additive for lubrication, that's why most prefer it.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 10:51 PM
Vendor

Bore oil is for woodwinds and can be found anywhere they're sold. It has nothing to do with firearms.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 10:58 PM
Banned

The bore oil I use IS for firearms--the solvent used to clean the barrel. Makes all of my boards look and feel factory fresh.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 11:02 PM
Vendor

Please do not use what AB is using. It's definitely not made for wood. You might as well pull the dipstick on your car and use that.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 11:37 PM
Banned

I had to go out and look at it, and also try to remember why I got it. Many moons ago when I first heard of bore oil, I immediately thought of boring out firearms--the military side kicking in. So, I went to the gun section of the base exchange looking for bore oil. Never saw anything called bore oil, but looked at all of the goop on the shelves. What I ended up getting is called Rem Oil. It's a cleaning lubricant that can be used on gunstocks, barrels and outdoor and marine equipment. It works fantastic! If it's good for the wood gunstocks, why not a fretboard? I guess my first reply was misleading, as I always thought of it as bore oil--it's not the same thing. However, it's good enough to use on gunstocks and I've always had great results on fretboards. Sorry Rich--I'm having a Thursday and just called it something different...

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 11:40 PM
Vendor

It's Saturday, works for me too

What is formulated for all sorts of stuff, including finished wood [gunstocks are not unfinished], is probably not the best thing to use on unfinished raw wood.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 12:09 AM
Banned

Yeah--I've never tried it on any of my raw boards--just older ones that needed cleaning. I should try it on a piece of scrap maple and let it sit to see what happens. This should be an interesting experiment...

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 02:56 AM

Fret Doctor is what I use.

http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm

Just find the UK equivalent.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 10:41 AM

Reviews: 3

ernie ball wonder wipes fretboard conditioner works great for rosewood.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 01:38 PM

Reviews: 18

I had misplaced my little container of Selmer bore oil that I purchased many moons ago and was able to find a bottle of "Roche-Thomas Premium Bore Oil" at a music & arts store (one of those music stores that leases violins, trombones, etc. for kids). Apparently, this stuff is what they use at that store to clean clarinets and most wooded wind instruments with.

for a long time I wanted to get the LeBlanc oil that Rich uses but I was too lazy to order it online.

Jimmy
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Fret Doctor is what I use.

http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm

Just find the UK equivalent.

+1

I've used a variety of Bore oils, and this is the one I like best.

Bore oil can be found most "band" shops, that sell, lease, etc the instruments for School bands. I originally bought a cleaning kit for woodwinds that had some nice clothes and brushes in it as well.

Tags
cleaning , edge pro , js1200

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode