JS1200 finish durabilty - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 7
JS1200 finish durabilty

Just a quick question, I was looking for a JS1200 in the classifieds and saw several pics of dings on the bodies. What bothers me is that the finish looks very thin and looks like it chips very easily. What is your experience with this ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 03:08 PM

Re: JS1200 finish durabilty

nothing weak about a JS1200. have a 2006 JS1200 and it does not have a scratch or a ding on it. some people just don't care about looking after their guitar as others.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Jones View Post
Just a quick question, I was looking for a JS1200 in the classifieds and saw several pics of dings on the bodies. What bothers me is that the finish looks very thin and looks like it chips very easily. What is your experience with this ?
It's like any guitar with finish neither too thin or thick but being a high energy metal guitar probably puts it more at risk for dings than a Super 400 used while only sitting down.

The JS guitars are so fast, loud, and light that you want to run around and go crazy. It puts it in harms way and it's made to rock so used samples are often dinged up. The hardware is tough and the Edge holds up better than Floyd or Kahler though the black hardware does rub off easily as it does on any guitar. Black hardware does look cool and most JS guitars I have come across have it. I know a person or two modded out black hardware JS with chrome parts.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 02:58 AM

I own a 2002 JS 2000 bought it used, several users since it came to me...no dings on it, the JS 1200 shouldn' be different
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 05:24 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 7

Back in the 90s, ibanez applied a very thick coat of paint on their instruments, sometimes more than 1 mm thick. This doesn't seem to affect sound at all, I've had a 540s with very thick finish that sounded divine.

But I've had an rg570 in silver finish made in 2002, and once a ding was made you could almost scrape the finish around it with your finger nails. The finish on this one was extremely thin, add the fact that basswood is a very tender wood and you have a recipe for disaster. I know that it's all about taking care of our instruments, but I also want one that will not deteriorate easily when the inevitable little accidents occur.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 08:15 PM

Reviews: 2

I have a JS1200 which I've owned from new for about 6 years - the finish has great. I found it seemed to chip off around the output jack a little bit (since there are some sharp edges there and the finish seemed a little thinner there) but no issues with the rest of the guitar. I'd say its probably less prone to paint chips than an RG because there are less corners.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 08:28 PM

Reviews: 18

JS guitars will dent easy. Basswood is a soft wood and it can get dented or dinged if it gets bumped with something. While taking the trem bar out of my JS1000 a few months ago, it slipped out of my hand and it dinged the clear coat on the guitar (small mark but it sucked nonetheless). The bar was a few inches away from the guitar body when it fell on it.

Jimmy
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 08:41 PM

Just a personal opinion, if you're a collector you normally have nothing to worry about cos you hang your guitar and normally handle it carefully when you want to have a look at it, but if you're a player ding is inevitable even the hard bodies like les paul under a hand of club season players has tons of ding. I actually prefer guitars with dings it just looks like a guitar a shiny guitar well... Seems not being played enough but thats just me
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 07:55 PM

Reviews: 3

I put a ding on my headstock from a mic stand with my js1200. Not the guitar's fault

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode