JS1200 question - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 05:14 AM Thread Starter

JS1200 question

Hey guys,

I just recieved my new JS1200CA! First off i would just like to say that it is the greatest guitar i have EVER played. Beiing an advanced player, i LOVE all the different sounds this guitar has to offer, and the TONE....OMG, like nothing else.

My question is, when i have the coil tap on, and the volume knob is raised, when i move the whammy bar over, i just sort of knicks it on its way around....Just like to know if anybody else has this problem.

thx

ALEX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 10:24 AM

Re: JS1200 question

i believe putting a shim in the neck pocket can fix the problem, but im not positive.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 10:53 AM

Hey Iceman,

Congrats for your new toy, great choice! Yes I do have that problem too with the whammy and the knobs way up.. I'm also trying to find a solution, perhaps playing around the trem holder in order to raise the trem arm but I'm not sure if that is doable.. in the meantime as the hi-pass filter is meant to brighten the tone at lower volumes, I just crank it up and forget about it..

Enjoy!
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 11:35 AM

congrats, I love my JS1200. I agree, the tone is just perfect.

not too sure about your question though. I usually play with all my knobs full.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 08:15 PM

That can happen with low action and the trem sitting level. There's not a lot you can do. You could drop the trem angle a little bit. You could bend the arm. You could raise the action. You could put a shorter knob on. The neck shim would let the trem sit higher with the same action, so it would probably work, but i'd rather have the bar hit than use the shim. Not liking any of the options yet? But I agree. If playing at low volume with the knob up, how much are you really using the bar?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 06:13 AM

The knobs are not push on, they have a set screw, right? So for the volume knob, could you unscrew the set screw, take the knob off, pull the pot up, then screw the knob back in place with the pot permanently in the "up" position? Would that be acceptable? Is there any reason you'd not want the high pass filter engaged all the time? Then you could always lower the volume and not have to pull it out first. It doesn't solve the coil tap knob though. But I'm not sure whether it is hitting both knobs or just the volume knob.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 06:57 AM

the arm holder can be raised. just pull the springs out, flip the trem out of the cavity with the strings on, with a 10mm wrench unscrew the arm-holder nut you'll find underneath the baseplate, then unscrew the arm-holder itself from above with a large flat screwdriver (be very careful cause it tends to flip out and ding the bridge). now find the right height for the arm holder, then tight the nut firmly and set the trem back in place.
if you can't do that, have a pro doin it for you.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Thx for all the reply guys, I use the arm ALOT btw. I love to play alot of Vai/Satch so i tend to use it alot. When i have the coil tap on and swing the arm over, it just grazes the top of the knob.

thx NUNO for the info, i will change the arm height first chance it get!
i usually slap on the coil tap with the neck pickup when im playing blues, turn the volume down a bit and it sounds AMAZING.

Guys, i cant believe how happy i am with this guitar, all day at work im thinking of playing it, then when i get home i cant put it down lol.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

double post
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

I have another question, I noticed something weird yesterday. When i bring the arm down to loosen the strings and it rebounds to original position, sometimes it doesnt return back to perfect tune, yet if i bring the arm back to tighten, it returns to perfect tune. Could this be a problem with the bridge. I intend to take it apart tommorrow in hopes of finding something out.
PS. I'm positive that the strings are 100% streched. thx for your replies
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 11:43 PM
Vendor

Improper technique

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/lockdown.htm
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

WOW thanks alot Rich!....funny thing, never had this problem with my OFR equipped Kramer.

anyhow, thx again!

Alex

Tags
arm holder , coil tap , high pass filter , neck pickup , neck shim , trem arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode