JS1200CA - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

JS1200CA

I'm going to buy this guitar but I was wondering if it would be possible to have another volume pot installed as I love a bit of Toggle switch style playing a la Tom Morello.
Any help much appreciated.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 07:58 AM
Contributor

Re: JS1200CA

I also am a big Morello fan and I took one of my JS's and I had it converted so that when you pull up the tone pot it disables just the neck pickup. Of course to do this I had to sacrifice the coil tap, but I own many JS's so I was willing to do that to one. it's easier than having to drill holes in the guitar. It works exactly the same. So when I've pulled up the tone knob, then I can use the toggle switch like that.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Would it be possible to do what you did with the Volume knob so I wouldn't have to sacrifice the coil tap or is what you did the best option?
Thanks for the info man.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 01:15 PM
Contributor

You could, but I use the HighPass filter more than the coil tap so I prefer to use the tone knob. I guess it would be your choice. Just take it to a guitar tech and explain what you want. It took my guys a little time to understand what I wanted, but they managed to do it and it's great.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 02:16 PM

Reviews: 2

Alternative wiring is to wire the high pass filter so it's on all the time, then either use the push pull volume as a kill switch for the neck humbucker as you did or install a dual concentric pot so you have a volume for each humbucker.

That way you keep the coil tap.

Personally I'm not overly fussed about the high pass, although I think I'd wire it on than off and I keep meaning to remove the coil tap from the bridge humbucker as it's a sound I never use.

I like the single coil neck sound but that's it, even the middle setting with both coils isn't that great compared to something like a RG2820 which has the same inner two coils active on that position. ok body woods and pickups are completely different but still......
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Thatnks for all the help. I think i'll do what OCDemon suggested originally and sacrifice the coil tap for the push/pull pot to turn off the neck humbucker.

Tags
bridge hum , toggle switch , tom morello

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode