JS1600 and Fender LSR Roller Nut - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

JS1600 and Fender LSR Roller Nut

Hi guys!
A good day and a good mood! Wish you the same or even better!
A couple of days ago a friend of mine asked me to get him one of those Fender LSR Roller Nuts. Now i see it's for a better tuning stability. Well i wondered if JS1600 is a Strat-like model, and as all of JSs are quite close to Strat will it fit to JS1600?

So the question is:
Will Fender LSR Roller Nut fit Ibanez JS1600?

I just don't want to get into a hassle with woodwork before or possible tuning-instability or corruptions after the job is done.

May be anyone have tried it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 01:42 AM

Reviews: 2
Smile Re: JS1600 and Fender LSR Roller Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico010 View Post
Hi guys!
A good day and a good mood! Wish you the same or even better!
A couple of days ago a friend of mine asked me to get him one of those Fender LSR Roller Nuts. Now i see it's for a better tuning stability. Well i wondered if JS1600 is a Strat-like model, and as all of JSs are quite close to Strat will it fit to JS1600?

So the question is:
Will Fender LSR Roller Nut fit Ibanez JS1600?

I just don't want to get into a hassle with woodwork before or possible tuning-instability or corruptions after the job is done.

May be anyone have tried it?
The roller nut is used for easier return of the strings when using the tremolo unit. Some nuts cause tuning instability because they catch the strings and don't let the strings return properly to the initial position.

JS1600 is a fixed bridge guitar without tremolo. So, a roller nut is useless.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 02:41 AM
SYL

Re: JS1600 and Fender LSR Roller Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orochimaru View Post
The roller nut is used for easier return of the strings when using the tremolo unit.

JS1600 is a fixed bridge guitar without tremolo. So, a roller nut is useless.
I have only played fixed bridge guitars a few times in my life (so excuse my ignorance) but would it still help if you are a heavy string bender? could it actually make bending easier? just a hypothesis....
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 08:59 AM

A couple strings on my JS1600 catch on the nut from time to time. It's not bad but happens occasionally. If the LSR fits it would eliminate that. Now, I don't know if it would be worth the trouble of getting a new nut installed when I could probably just put a little graphite in there next time I restring...
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 09:02 AM

If your nut slots are cut properly they won't bind up even without graphite.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 09:39 AM

I can't imagine wanting to modify any upper end JS. If it's pickups I understand, and that's easy to revert back. Something like this I don't see any bang for the buck.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

I just used to have Locking Nuts and the non-locking nut just makes me think what if it will go out of tune with bends in the place where string meets nut. Or it's just my fantasy? Cause for now it has no tuning issues absolutely.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 02:42 PM

JS1600 has locking tuners too I'm pretty sure. That should never be an issue with it.

For that matter, I don't have tuning stability issues with any of my fixed bridge/no locking guitars (a fender tele and a JS6).
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 02:12 PM

Reviews: 4

honestly, if i were you, I would just get a graphtech nut. those are very easy to get the perfect fit, and *much* cheaper. you can easily put in a graphtech nut, and i have had wonderful experience with their products. you might need a tech to help get a LSR perfect.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 02:34 PM

The problem I had with my 1600 was the strings sticking in the nut. Turned out the string retainer was way low really pulling down the strings in the nut. I raised the retainer till the strings no longer stuck in the nut. Added some graphite and had amazing tuning stability.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 05:06 PM

On my js6, i added locking tuners, didn't help. Removed string tree, problem solved. I know the JS6 with locking tuners isn't probably worth what a 'stock' JS6 is worth, but I didn't buy it for a collector's item.

Without the tree, I don't have any intonation issues; with it, it wouldn't stay in tune for more than maybe one song if I was lucky. Bad design for a fixed-bridge axe, if you ask me.

-cp
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
The problem I had with my 1600 was the strings sticking in the nut. Turned out the string retainer was way low really pulling down the strings in the nut. I raised the retainer till the strings no longer stuck in the nut. Added some graphite and had amazing tuning stability.
Nice! I was curious about this. I'll have to adjust mine tonight.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 04:22 PM

Reviews: 2
Smile Re: JS1600 and Fender LSR Roller Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYL View Post
I have only played fixed bridge guitars a few times in my life (so excuse my ignorance) but would it still help if you are a heavy string bender? could it actually make bending easier? just a hypothesis....
As people stated before in a high end guitar like the JS 1600 would not need any roller nut.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 06:19 PM

My JS 1600 had issues with this out of tune with bending too. I just don't see the point in the string retainer like in the original version of this guitar...on a non locking nut set-up it pulls such a sharp angle over the nut which is just asking for problems. I'd had good luck with staggered tuners on strat style headstocks and just thought it was a more elegant solution to the problem. Amongst a few other mods I made (posted here somewhere) I got some staggered locking tuners and have never had an issue since. Great guitar...I love it!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! Got many useful information. I'll leave the guitar as it is for now. If i'll get any problems now i've got some points to look at first. Thanks a lot!

Tags
1600 , fender , nut , roller

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode