JS1600 retrofitting tuners? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

JS1600 retrofitting tuners?

Have any JS1600 owners replaced their stock Ibanez/Planet Waves Auto Trim tuners with a different set of non-locking tuners? I'm considering doing so on mine but would prefer to find a set that will retrofit 100% (will not require modification or drilling of any new holes).

Last edited by divebomb99; 10-14-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 09:27 AM

Re: JS1600 retrofitting tuners?

I guess, the normal Gotoh/Ibanez tuners would work but you could write an e-mail to Rich from Ibanezrules(banner above) and ask.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanks very much. I actually did contact him a while back as I originally purchased the guitar from him. If I recall correctly he didn't know of any retrofitting tuners, but perhaps he'll chime in on this thread.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 09:52 AM

Reviews: 18

Why would you want to replace locking tuners with non-locking tuners???

Jimmy
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
Why would you want to replace locking tuners with non-locking tuners???

Jimmy
Well, frankly, I don't think that they are very good. I own many guitars and if strung correctly, along with a properly slotted nut, a quality standard machine head works perfectly. I've found that the tuning drifts on the non-wound strings with these Planet Waves tuners. Especially when bending strings. I was hoping my ears were deceiving me but the digital tuner doesn't lie. I'm using 10 guage strings to boot.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 02:54 PM

Reviews: 18

Post some pictures of the headstock and string retaining bar. I have a feeling that the string retaining bar might be sitting too high and not putting enough pressure on the strings, hence the "drifting" effect you're noticing on the non-wound strings.

Jimmy
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
Post some pictures of the headstock and string retaining bar. I have a feeling that the string retaining bar might be sitting too high and not putting enough pressure on the strings, hence the "drifting" effect you're noticing on the non-wound strings.

Jimmy
Thanks Jimmy. Perhaps I should provide some further information! *Raising* the retainer bar a tad was the first thing I actually did, and it helped quite a bit but not 100%. I found that the B and high E strings were "drifiting" the most, so I contacted Ibanez support. Long story short, they mailed me 2 replacement tuning keys which also seemed to help, but things still aren't 100%. Not sure I can go much higher on the retainer bar at this point. I can, however, flat out replace the tuning keys. hahaha.

But, maybe I went TOO high and need to lower it a bit now that I think about your comment. Perhaps the two tuning keys were the real culprit and I made it worse by raising the retainer bar. I'll try lowering it a notch next. But... if anyone does know of retrofitting tuning keys, I'll all ears.

Last edited by divebomb99; 10-14-2011 at 03:07 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 08:23 AM

I had similar issues with mine and concluded that the retaining bar was just the wrong design on a non locking nut with a no angle headstock....a hold over from the standard JS that just gave the strings a moving & binding point that wasn't needed. I took it out and put in some staggered locking tuners (Spretzels it think...they fit the holes but not the screws in the back). Haven't had any tuning issues at all since ! I've put the planet Waves tuners on another neck with some angle to the headstock and they work just fine there.

Mind you my retrofit left some holes in front (which I filled with screws) and holes in the back which I left as is) so it isn't perfect aesthetically...but now the guitar stays in tune when I play and bend strings. I made some other mods to the pick-ups and bridge and the guitar is my favorite playing and sounding instrument now...but the original tuning issue was what got me thinking about modding it in the first place.

Good luck,

Don
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonScott View Post
I had similar issues with mine and concluded that the retaining bar was just the wrong design on a non locking nut with a no angle headstock....a hold over from the standard JS that just gave the strings a moving & binding point that wasn't needed. I took it out and put in some staggered locking tuners (Spretzels it think...they fit the holes but not the screws in the back). Haven't had any tuning issues at all since ! I've put the planet Waves tuners on another neck with some angle to the headstock and they work just fine there.

Mind you my retrofit left some holes in front (which I filled with screws) and holes in the back which I left as is) so it isn't perfect aesthetically...but now the guitar stays in tune when I play and bend strings. I made some other mods to the pick-ups and bridge and the guitar is my favorite playing and sounding instrument now...but the original tuning issue was what got me thinking about modding it in the first place.

Good luck,

Don
Ah ha! Thanks for chiming in. Good to know someone else had the same experience. What gauge strings are you using? I went to 10s, which is only a step up from the factory 9s, but I wonder if the nut is also contributing and needs a bit more widening/slotting.

Also, did you have to drill any ADDITOINAL holes for the Sperzels? I can live with factory drill holes but I'm trying to avoid drilling any new holes.

Last edited by divebomb99; 10-16-2011 at 09:01 AM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Vendor

The string retainer is set too low from the factory. It should be at a very shallow angle so it's not creating binding on the nut.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 10:26 PM

I use 10's. Didn't drill any new holes. The tuners are actually Schaller...part 0661 from Stewart MacDonald. I just made sure they fit the existing holes. I didn't mod the nut at all.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The string retainer is set too low from the factory. It should be at a very shallow angle so it's not creating binding on the nut.
Amen to that.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all for your input. Again, for the record, I had raised the retainer bar as high as I could but still experienced some tuning "drifting". I took a couple of my axes to the luthier I go to and he confirmed that the nut was juuuuust a bit too snug. He slotted them a bit wider and also polished the underside of the retainer bar a bit more. Things seem better now though I'll feel better after a few more days of practice with it to confirm.

And thanks DonScott... very good advice. Product page bookmarked.

PS- Rich Rules! :-)
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 10:20 AM

Good luck.

Over the years I've tried to build and/or assemble guitars but have to admit that none of them played very well. I've finally found a local LUTHIER with real skills and can't tell you how happy I am after he's properly set up one of my instruments. It really is an art all to itself. Getting the precise geometry just right of the strings across the neck, nut and bridge is just so key to a well playing guitar...and they are such a joy to play when it's all right.

My first "good" guitar was a strat plus with the staggered tuners and a roller nut and I've just always seen that set up as an elegant solution on a straight headstock. I just had my guy put together a guitar with a "hockey stick" style headstock and the "staggered tuner" thing just didn't work with the fan those strings had after the nut. So we ended up with a string retainer like what was on the JS 1600. He spent a lot of time setting it up and ended up with it very close to the nut to get the angles right. Just brought home to me how important these set up angles are. So indeed the retainer bar might not have been such a "bad design" as I originally though...I just try to avoid extra stuff in the line of the string as much as possible (and I think the string retainer is ugly) and the staggered tuners seem like the best option to me.

Anyway...my JS1600 plays great and sounds great now. Hope yours does the same. I love having a hard tail JS style guitar with a Mahogony body....great platform I think !
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

It's been quite a while since I've been here but I noticed my last post. Thought I'd provide an update for any other JS1600 owners who might be having tuning issues. After my experience, I can't imagine someone NOT having problems with theirs if you do any degree string bending.

In a nutshell, a set of Schaller locking tuners retrofitted perfectly, with zero modifications needed. Beyond that, I removed the garbage retainer bar all together and paid to have the nut professionally replaced by a top notch luthier after the techs at Hoshino USA couldn't quite get it right after TWO tries. The guitar stays in tune perfectly now and is one hell of a player. Overall, my conclusion is that the use of a retainer bar just does not work well on this guitar. A well slotted nut and string trees would have been a far better design. Regardless of the retainer bar height or smoothness, there is still far too much of a break angle for the strings to move freely enough with the original design. The only way around this is to remove the retainer bar from the equation.

Last edited by divebomb99; 12-30-2013 at 03:40 PM.

Tags
js1600 , keys , tuners , tuning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode