JS1600 Tuning Problems - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

JS1600 Tuning Problems

Hey folks,

Been a while since I've been on here, but I had to bar myself from all the new guitar temptations.

I've got a JS1600 I bought used awhile back and it has the weirdest tuning problem. My low E tends to drop a bit, but my G and B strings actually go sharp. It's probably my best sounding guitar when it manages to stay in tune for more than 2 minutes.

I did a little looking around and came up with a couple of things. String retainer too low/tight causing too much angle after the nut or nut slots themselves are too tight. I've adjusted the retainer to look about the same as other guitars. I was going to adjust the nut slots, but found out a decent set of files for that were fairly expensive.

I could take it somewhere, but I hate having other people work on my stuff.

I'm curious if there's a known issue with the locking tuners on these? They've go the cool string trimmer built in. I think they are an Ibanez branded Planet Waves set, which I've seen some issues with on the web, but not this particular issue. I think they are supposed to be locking, but I can't really see how they lock anything other than just tightening the string to the tuner.

Anyone know of a direct replacement? I don't really think the JS1600 is going to be a collectors item, but I hate to drill new holes for tuners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 09:03 AM

Re: JS1600 Tuning Problems

I added locking tuners and removed the string retainer from my JS6 as it would not stay in tune. Also graphite in the nut slots. Still won't stay in tune as good as my JS1200, and I have no clue why.

-cp
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

When I got my JS6, the string retainer bar was off because there's a train of thought that it affects the tuning. Mine is ok unless I really give it some welly wen it can go out of tune.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

It's been a real bummer as I wanted a fixed bridge to get out of tuning problems or at least to change tuning's easier. Both of my Edge and Lo Pro guitars stay in better tune with the low pro being better than the other. This seems like simple physics, so some part of the process is failing.

I decided I'm going to put some 8-38's on to see if they stay in tune better. Idea being that if they work, the nut slots are too tight. I also just want to see how ridiculous 8's feel.

Last edited by Frankhenrylee; 05-10-2019 at 10:38 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 10:36 AM

Yes, one thing I never tried was filing the nut slots. That would be the only remaining possibility in my mind, unless there's something about the wood that causes it to warp during an hour's session. Ha!

Tags
js1600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode