JS2000 as next purchase - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
MFB

JS2000 as next purchase

My buddy who works at Guitar Center showed me this little gem when I last went in for a little play session :

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgea...stId=104884844

The picture may not work at first but almost everyone knows what the JS2000 (or at least the JS) looks like.

I played around on it for a little bit and I really like it but my main concern is how strong is the PAF Pro pickup when run through a high-gain amp? Since I mainly play metal, I use the neck pickup more than anything cause it has that sharp tone for leads but still has that distortion to it. I know Joe runs a fair amount of gain and distortion but it's nothing super heavy like you'd find for something like Pantera, or Slayer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 12:02 AM

Re: JS2000 as next purchase

The PAF Pro would be fine through a high gain amp. Joe plays through one at high gain levels and he has a really ballsy tone, not just because of the pickups, but also the way he chokes up on the pick and really digs in to get that "tubular" type tone. There is a misconception IMHO, that you need high output pickups for shred and metal, but what I've found through experience is that it has more to do with the wood the guitar is made of, and the string guage etc...Try out 10 or even 11 guage strings on it and you will have a pretty fat tone, especially with the fixed bridge. Basswood is a very light wood though, so you might want to check out a JS Mahogany if you can find one, or something with a heavier, denser wood that might have better resonance, and a different voicing for high gain metal. I think the JS 2000 could do metal, but you should try out a bunch of different guitars first before you spend a big chunk of change on a guitar you might regret buying...I think you should hook up to a high gain amp with the JS to see if it meets your needs. Hook a bunch of guitars through the same amp so you have a frame of reference to compare with. Go in to GC when they first open, before all the hack players get in there so you can crank it up, at least enough to drive the tubes a bit.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
MFB

Re: JS2000 as next purchase

Wow, thanks for input man, I'll definetly run it through a couple of different setups next time I'm up there

Tags
fat tone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode