JS2000CG : futur collector item ? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

JS2000CG : futur collector item ?

I'm wondering that due to the following.

Firstly, fixed bridge JS models have not been produced for very long and not present on the market for very long.

Secondly, these models came out more or less at the occasion of one Joe's album : JS6 for "The Extremist", JS700 for the "red album", JS2000CG for his latest album "Strange beautiful music".

Thirdly, those JS have rarely been seen : JS 6 in the video of the eponyme song "The extremist", JS 700...can't remember where... and JS2000CG on the cover of "Strange beautiful music".

Fourtly, amongst the guitars that Joe holds and which appear on the pamphlets of the album "Strange beautiful music", there is his JS6 and JS2000 CG (...right, not the JS 700).

What's your opinion ? Rich maybe you have an idea on that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 01:33 PM

"Collectability" is a subject that has been covered here many times.

For a guitar to become a collector's item, it has to be at least one of the following:
  • Actually owned and/or used by someone famous. This applies only to specific instruments (like Vai's EVO), and has to be documented by serial numbers, photos and other support info.
  • Rare. That means produced in small numbers, or completely unique one-off custom or prototype instruments, unmodified from their original factory state.
  • Desirable. Players or collectors have to actually want it.
If you ask me (and i'm not a collector at all), a guitar would need to fit at least two of those criteria for it to appreciate in value over time.

A guitar can be artist-played and rare, but if nobody is interested, it's not really much of a collector's item. Similarly, if the market is flooded with them, the economics of supply and demand take over... if everyone who wants one can get one, the price and cachet won't increase.

A lot of Vai's one-off guitars and prototypes have been auctioned off for high prices because they fit all three. However, their worth on the free market is questionable... Neville or Red Lace might never be sold again for such high prices. Chrome Boys have held their value rather well, especially ones in better condition.

I really doubt the JS2000CG will increase in value very much, if at all. Few guitars do. Most just become "old" and "used" as opposed to "vintage".
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 01:39 PM

The JS2000CG is a standard production model of which a TON have been made/sold. Hardly grounds for ever becoming "collectable".
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 01:58 PM
Vendor

I wouldn't say more 2000's have been made than 6's, but it all comes down to -

Demand vs. availability

You can have 20,000 guitars made and if 40,000 people want them then the situation has been set for higher prices.

You can have 200 made and only 150 want them, well, you can see where that's going
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 04:01 AM

Re: JS2000CG : futur collector item ?

[quote="JEAPSON"] JS 700...can't remember where... [quote]

On the video of the recording of (You're) My World...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 04:52 AM Thread Starter

As far as I remember the JS6 for instance were available for two years but I guess noboby knew at that time that only 350 had been produced by Ibanez. The price of selling in retaillers was aforedable. Now, from my point of view, a JS 6 can be regarded as a collector item even if the price for a used guitar remains low.

As to the JS700, I think it wal also available for 2 years. Don't know how much were produced but nowadays it can't be easily found, even used, and when one is for sale the price is as afordable as it was when available at retaillers.

Do you know how many JS2000CG Ibanez produced ? In case Ibanez decides to stop the JS2000CG by early 2004, my feeling is that the situation will be just like the JS6 and JS700 in a few years.

This is just my view and I may be wrong. My purpose is not to increase the demand on the JS2000CG
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 05:10 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEAPSON

This is just my view and I may be wrong. My purpose is not to increase the demand on the JS2000CG
Well I wish somebody would, I haven't sold a single 2000 yet
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 08:02 AM

The reason the JS6/JS6000 is harder to find and commands a higher price is because players want them to play. They're not in demand as collector pieces... they're in demand by players.

As Rich pointed out, the JS2000 isn't exactly in huge demand.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
The reason the JS6/JS6000 is harder to find and commands a higher price is because players want them to play. They're not in demand as collector pieces... they're in demand by players.

As Rich pointed out, the JS2000 isn't exactly in huge demand.
I like mine a lot though.....but I play it, not stick it on display.

I don't think it'll ever reach the cult following some of the Ibanezes have, but I still think it's a great guitar, to be played and enjoyed.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 10:43 AM

Its on my to buy list..... just need a cash inject6ion :P
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

[quote=Polaris20][quote="I don't think it'll ever reach the cult following some of the Ibanezes have.[/quote]

Only the next years will confirm us. Guess no one knew those JS6 would become cult as no one wanted them when they were issued.

Tags
chrome boy , darren wilson , fixed bridge , production model

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode