Is the Js20s just a Js100 with a fancy paint job ? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Is the Js20s just a Js100 with a fancy paint job ?

Hi, I want to buy a used Js guitar and dont want to spend $5000 on the Js20th. I like the look of the js20 but it seems that the parts used are the same in the js100 lower end model. I am leaning toward a js1000-1200 but think the color options are kinda boring. I do like the btb but cant find a used one and i dont want to pay full price what do u think i should do ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 02:23 PM
Vendor

Re: Is the Js20s just a Js100 with a fancy paint job ?

This TB needs to go

JS1000TB - Not BTB, this is a TB which was the more attractive model with even staining. There are several finish cracks on the front of the body including a pair of line cracks on the arm contour about 5/8" long and a circular crack on the top edge. The bottom edge of the headstock has several bruises that has been attempted to cover up by running a coating of super glue [my guess] down the bottom edge which you can see in the right light but not sure the camera saw it. Neck joint finish cracks to both sides, very little fretwear, but the hardware showing corrosion and wear, especially the trem. No Strap pins, no case. Another loss leader.** AS IS $875**

http://www.ibanezrules.com/used.htm#JS
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Is the Js20s just a Js100 with a fancy paint job ?
That's my understanding, which means it's ridiculously overpriced. Personally, I don't see anything boring about the JS1200, but then again, I'm a sucker for Candy Apple Red. Also, FWIW, it looks even more stunning in person.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohns74 View Post
Personally, I don't see anything boring about the JS1200, but then again, I'm a sucker for Candy Apple Red. Also, FWIW, it looks even more stunning in person.

Agreed. I just purchased a 1200 a few weeks ago, and stunning just about sums it up. I am absolutely in love with this guitar and it gets plenty of ooh's and ahh's when I take it out of it's case.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicalJedi View Post
Agreed. I just purchased a 1200 a few weeks ago, and stunning just about sums it up. I am absolutely in love with this guitar and it gets plenty of ooh's and ahh's when I take it out of it's case.
Nothing more satisfying than a guitar that looks that good and yet plays and sounds at least as good as it looks. Amazing instrument, better in many ways than my Jem.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 07:41 PM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
Hi, I want to buy a used Js guitar and dont want to spend $5000 on the Js20th. I like the look of the js20 but it seems that the parts used are the same in the js100 lower end model. I am leaning toward a js1000-1200 but think the color options are kinda boring. I do like the btb but cant find a used one and i dont want to pay full price what do u think i should do ?
Yeah in all honesty it's justa JS100 with the Surfing With The Alien graphic. So you're paying more for the paint scheme and that's about it. I own one and absolutely love the guitar. In my opinion it's worth buying but it's up to you. I would just swap out the pickups if I were you. The Axis pickups Ibanez use are o.k.(for a stock pickup I'd rank them better than most stock pups) but change them out and you'll love the guitar more. I went with Dimzario Super Distorion and Tone Zone in mine and love the tone.

Edge III trem is o.k. better than the TRSII I had on my other JS100 I had years back. But not as good as a Lo-pro or Edge trem. It does have coil-tapping so offers you some more tonal range as well.

In my opinion it's a great guitar. Just needs some upgrades and it'll run with the best of them. I know alot of people thumb their nose at the JS100's. They are made in Korea whereas the JS1000 is made in Japan. However, the build quality is good, the neck has no burrs on the frets. It's a very solid guitar.

p.s.
don't let the price fool you, and look around for deals. I got mine off of Musican's Friend for less that $900(however I had a promotional code so I saved like 15%) But you can still find deals on these guitars.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 08:12 PM
Contributor

If you are already spending as much as a JS1000 or 1200 costs I'd suggest going with the japanese ones. A regular 100 is much cheaper so I can see why that's an advantage, but at that price you should get a japanese one. I have owned a JS100 and I can tell you it's a huge difference between those and the japanese guitars.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 10:39 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohns74 View Post
That's my understanding, which means it's ridiculously overpriced. Personally, I don't see anything boring about the JS1200, but then again, I'm a sucker for Candy Apple Red. Also, FWIW, it looks even more stunning in person.

Wise words, djohns. The kid just got a 1200 - he just absolutely loves it, and it is definitely a player's guitar. He was amazed that the action was lower and easier to play than his Jem77V.

Tags
js20s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode