JS2480 Sustainiac Quirks - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Vendor

JS2480 Sustainiac Quirks

After having a new 2480 fail testing because of constant feedback in Harmonic mode, with no signal, Mike from HUSA to the rescue again.

There are 3 adjustments on the PCB to control the Harmonic mode gain, Sustainer gain, and Neck P/U Volume.

The Harmonic gain was dialed up to high, I backed it off until all remnants of feedback were gone and it's a charm, but if there is one, there will be more, and more quirks, so hopefully the PDF can be of some help to anybody that runs across one of these simple problems.

[note, the PCB is wedged at the very top of the control cavity if the guitar was in playing position and you need to work it up and out enough to adjust the micro pots [Phillips, although you can probably turn with your fingers]

http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/...iac_Layout.pdf
peromucho7 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 06:46 PM
Contributor

Re: JS2480 Sustainiac Quirks

THis is important because my neck pickup volume is low compared to the bridge. I thought the pickup just sucked, maybe it just isn't matched right yet. Thanks for posting this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Vendor

Yup, I didn't understand any of this until I got the PDF, not that I "understand" it all now, I just know it has adjustments and I screwed around with them all on this one I just finished
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 07:48 PM
Contributor

Working on it now. Got the neck volume better. not ideal but I think it's maxed. Working on the sustainer gain now. While trying to cook steak and manage two kids with my wife...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 10:21 PM
Contributor

Managed to get things working just right. The sustainiac gain and feedback gain was fine, it was the pickup volume that was low. Did a recording with it, sounds great to me.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Vendor

I'm fairly certain these are just being assembled and there is no fine tuning of the sustainiac control, given the fact the harmonic mode was damn near maxed in this one.

Well done. Glad it helped.

And if OCD can get in there and tackle it, that means everybody can!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 10:28 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I'm fairly certain these are just being assembled and there is no fine tuning of the sustainiac control, given the fact the harmonic mode was damn near maxed in this one.

Well done. Glad it helped.

And if OCD can get in there and tackle it, that means everybody can!
That very accurate, I am very scared of doing these kinds of internal adjustments! Thanks for the push Rich, and the info
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 08:07 PM

Sustainiac also say metallized guitar bodies can also interfere with the driver and cause squealing.... be interesting to see how the new chrome 24 JS handles that

Tags
js2480 , sustainiac

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode