JS24P vs Jem 7vwh - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 03:33 AM Thread Starter

JS24P vs Jem 7vwh

Hi guys, I am thorn between this two guitars.

I hv a Jem 77FP and Jem Jnr. I love the 77FP with its unique colourful flowers (it is almost like an art that you can hang in your living room) and end up playing it less than I should coz I just love it too much. (I know that's daft but hey). As a result, the Jem Jnr became the 'everyday' guitar which I can bash with.

Anyway, I grew tired of my Jem Jnr (with DiMarzio Tone Zones) and is looking for a new guitar. I thought of the Jem 7VWH but I am afraid it will end up like the 77FP.

Now I am leaning towards the JS24P. I have done a lot of research on it and from what I read it has almost the same spec as the JS2410 (which is not available in Korea yet). But that is besides the point. I noticed that the thickness of the JS is not far from those wizard ones but the radius differs (250mm vs 400ish mm). (For your reference, I also have the Fender Standard HSS and I like the frets but not the thickness of the neck. Its wayyy to fat for my fat and short fingers). I can't test play the JS24P as it is only available through mail order currently.

Will there be a lot of difference in the neck feel between the JS and the Jems? Or should I just take the dive and get the Jem 7VWH? (But I really want to try other Ibanez's other than the Jem/RG family). Btw, I know its not fair to compare the JS24P with the grandaddy of all JEMs but I am split between the two. Other high end JS's is out of the question for now as I'd rather spend that amount of money on the JEM. Maybe in the future when I get the feel of a JS.

Sorry for the long post but I am itching for a new guitar and I need your expertise. Any thoughts is appreciated.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 06:12 AM

Re: JS24P vs Jem 7vwh

The JS guitars have Fender type necks on them.

The quality of the JS24P is going to be lower than the JEM7VWH by a lot.

If you want a JS guitar get a JS1200 or JS1000.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 06:24 AM

You cant go far wrong with the js guitars, in my opinion they are some of the best guitars ibanez build at the mo, i'm not sure if you are getting the radius mixed up with the thickness of the neck though, the radius is refering to the fretboard, the larger the radius the flater the fretboard the smaller radius gives you more of a curve, i prefer a lower radius as chords are much easier especially bar chords (when going from blistering solos to chugging rhythm very quickly its much easier and can hide some flaws in your technique),but it can give issues with big bends higher up the neck, it can be also shown in inches to, generally a 12 inch radius is a good mid ground (8 inch and 18 inch ar usually the extremes), the js comes in at 10 inch the the jem comes in at 15 inch. its a very personal thing though i highly recommend trying both before you make the decision. as for the neck thickness the js is spot on, i have quite small hands and the js is very comfortable to play, its a very fast neck, whereas my les paul is like playing a piece of 2x4. rom what i can remember theres only 2mm difference in thickness between the jem and the js, the js being the thickest of the two, however the jem neck width is 1mm wider than the js, swings and roundabouts really on the neck. but again you need to try both as they are very different animals. good luck with making a desicion and once you have dont forget the post a ngd i would love to see what you go for in the end

Also what sebastian says js1000 or js1200 are the ones to go for if you dont mind only having 22 frets, i have the 1000 which is ideal and a few well placed pinch harmonics will make up for the lack of the 2 extra notes that you miss out on
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 08:17 AM

The JS has about a 10" radius and the JEM has about a 17" radius.
The nut is 1mm narrower on the JS too.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
The JS has about a 10" radius and the JEM has about a 17" radius.
The nut is 1mm narrower on the JS too.

Got my math wrong on the jem radius , basically the jems fretboard is very nearly flat. in which case you deffo need to try the js before you buy cus there will be a noticeable difference between the 2 guitars, if you are used to jems then you may not get on with the js. i struggle going from the js to my les paul and theres only 2" difference between them.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

thanks for your views guys. Coming from ibanez experts, that is really refreshing. Yes the js 1200 or the 2410 is the ultimate goal. That is why i am trying out the 'lower end' js before i buy the JS's daddy.

If like what you guys say that the radius of the fretboard of the 24p is like the Fender's but is as thin as the Jem's ( only 2 mm difference), then i will try the 24p out. I will certainly keep you guys posted on this.

I hope its not too much of a difference from my Jems. Coz i find it difficult to go back to my Fender once i got used to the Jems. Like you guys said, its like playing on 2 by 4 in comparison. :-)
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 04:46 PM

When I was new to playing guitar (years ago) I had a hard time switching from one guitar to another.
As I got better at guitar, it didn't matter as long as the setup was good.
I can play very well on any guitar now.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Sebastian... are you saying I am not good at playing guitar?? Hahaha.... j/k :-) Thanks for your views guys. I am going to the music store in a few days time. They say the JS24P will be there soon and I can test play both the JS and the JEM. Wish me luck!!!

Btw, while we are at it, Line 6 POD 500 or BOSS ME-80?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem Y View Post

Btw, while we are at it, Line 6 POD 500 or BOSS ME-80?
Neither for me, i hate multi effect units i always buy the effect pedal i need for the job, i.e if i need a delay i get a delay pedal. the only problem with this is you end up with loads of pedals and a giant pedal board (mines huge, the rest of my band take the piss out of me constantly about it) although the only reason im against them is cus i'm like an old person trying to program a vcr to record a tv show when im using a multi effect. i just like an on switch and a knob you can turn till you get the sound you want.

If i had to though i would go for the line 6, my brother has one and i borrowed it for a while and it was the only one i could manage to use properly

Edit: When i say my band take the piss out of me cus of the size of my pedal board, its just an intitial reaction, once i'm set up. plugged in and playing theres no piss taking then, the tone and character of my guitar tone is something else, just seems to be more natural then anything you can get from multi effects units

Also sorry if i have offended the swear monitor not sure if "piss" is classed as a naughty word in the usa, it isnt here in good old blighty amongst us pastey faced, rotting teeth limeys

Last edited by newblues; 07-07-2014 at 03:48 AM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Hi guys.Finally took the plunge last weekend and got myself a new JS24P. It was a such a beautiful guitar, I was compelled to buy it once my eyes were laid on it. The unique humbucker / single coil (actually humbucker) setup also adds to its appeal. And the colour, oh... In short the guitar looks sexy, I just have to have one.

Held it in my hand. I was a little disappointed at first. The spec sheet shows only around 2mm difference between the Js's neck ad the Jem's. But the Js's neck feels wayyy thicker. Surprisingly though running my fingers through the neck feels comfortable and natural. (Maybe it has got something to do with the narrower width of the JS?).

Plugged it in to an amp and started playing. I was amazed at the tone of this guitar. Somebody in this jemsite said that the JS has has a 'buttery' tone to it. How right you are Sir! Its just amazing.. Even the tremolo position seems right and is accommodating to my right picking hand. (I can't explain it. It just seems right).

I have been playing the guitar for two days now and is loving it. Thank you very much guys. Now I wonder how the JS 1000 would compare. Hmmmmmmm. Next month? Haha

For the effects, I think I will go with newblues and go for the individual Boss pedals or the line 6. Thanks
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 08:59 AM

If you want a cheaper 'real' Jem look for a used 505. It's Japanese, same Jem neck carve but with the maple board and an original Edge trem.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Jim, will keep that in mind. But the 505 is very hard to find here in Korea.

Sorry for my last post guys. I sounded like an excited kid with his new toy. Haha. I can't help it. I will post pics soon.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Attachment 4419

That's the beauty. Even my cat is attracted to it. Serial number starts with a CA. What does that mean?

Last edited by Jem Y; 09-11-2014 at 11:08 AM.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 01:42 PM

(C)andy (A)pple Red I believe.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Frantick. Ok so it is genuine then. Somehow I got scared hearing all the fakes coming out of China.

Anyway, guys, I went to the shop again to test try the Jem 555 as Jim suggested. Guess what, I took the plunge again and ended up buying the Jem 7V. What a fantastic guitar!! When Jemsite's citizens say that it screams, I had no idea. Man, this thing scream and wail like it is her first night!! The fingerboard seems perfect and it responds to the lightest of touches. What a guitar!!! It is a different beast altogether compared to the JS24P but both have their strengths.

I just hope I wouldnt 'plunge' again in the near future or my other half would certainly kill me. Now that I ended up having both the JS24P and Jem7V, I need to work on my playing skills to justify these two great guitars.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by Jem Y; 09-11-2014 at 11:08 AM.

Tags
jem 7v , js24p vs jem 7v , js24p vs jem 7vwh , js24p. js24

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode