js2ch - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

js2ch

I was wondering if anybody knows the value of the original js2 chrome. i know 'value' is a loose term but have any of these been up for sale? the site says there were only 12 made in japan. does anybody know how many were made in the USA. who were the lucky ones to buy these? how much were they new from the factory?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: js2ch

Rich Harris of Ibanez Rules has one. Priceless is about what they're worth ;-)
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

i figured that. Hey Rich, how did you get yours? want to give us a history lesson on the js2ch?
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 09:55 PM
Vendor

http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/...90/Apr/p01.jpg

$1799.

History? Joe wanted chrome. They bent over backwards to make him a couple that would stay together. He was on Headbangers Ball with his new Chromeboy and the interviewer ask him about it, and Joe looked at the camera and said "and you can have one too. Just go down to your nearest Ibanez dealer and order it". Ibanez had never planned on releasing it because of all the problems just getting a few done. All of a sudden they had to gear it up and get serious about getting the process worked out for a full production. They had HUSA, LA, and Fujigen all trying to get it sorted out. They'd make a batch, which several would survive, and then a few days later the chrome would start to peel. Repeat over and over again, they were using about anything they could get their hands on, there's at least one Radius bodied chrome [JS2 neck] [there's at least one R body Donnie proto also]. They went as far as putting it in the catalog, pricing it, but they just couldn't work the problems out of the process and it was finally abandoned. Lots of deposits had to be returned by dealers.

All 3 seem to have been trying different techniques. I know of one that was from LA that is copper based, the copper showing through where the chrome has worn off in the picking area. I know at least one of Joe's was HUSA, but I don't know which one. The MIJ ones were right on the clear sealer [or mine is], or something. I have no idea what was conducting electricity. Mine was one of the catalog models, there's a close up in a Profile catalog with the very distinctive flaw on the upper horn very visible. It was flown to Australia for their Music Fair 1990, 1 of 2. This one made it out to a dealer for display after the Fair and it got bought quick by somebody with an in there [the original owner I bought it from]. The other was used in a surf movie, supposedly returned a little less for wear.

The US ones that stayed together were mostly assembled with JS1 necks as gifts, Joe's old manager has one, as well as a few others from his circle I won't name. A couple from LA were assembled and stamped on the back of the head and taken out and sold by the reps, I know a southern dealer that had at least one of them, supposedly Ibanez found out and put an end to it. Brian May has the one from LA stamped #1.

Mine, I hate even opening the case. I have no idea how to care for it, it's shrinking, develops wrinkles in the bouts, then smoothes out depending on the weather. A bubble grew on the back of it after I had it a few years and I dread the day I pull it out and find it has burst [even though oddly it feels hard as rock].

IMO only the ones the were intended to be built as a 2's with the chrome headstock face can truly be considered 2's. All the ones thrown together later with JS1 necks would have to be classified a different class. BTW they reused all the marked JS2 necks on JS1 production and not uncommon to pull a 90' JS1 neck and have it stamped with a 1 over the 2. I call them 1/2 necks [get it?]

That kind of history?
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

thanks a bunch Rich. i have been wondering about that for a long time. i guess that makes it even more amazing that Joe plays his on tour. it also makes you wonder what the guy who stole pearly was thinking. there is no way he could sell such a thing. most people would drop a dime on him if they could.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 10:14 PM
Vendor

He hasn't take a JS2 out in many years. He was playing the chrome proto they made before the PRM run [that was initially supposed to be chrome], now he's playing the PRM. He's learned the hard way, if it means something to him, it stays home.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
[there's at least one R body Donnie proto also]
OH NO!!!

Quote:
Mine was one of the catalog models, there's a close up in a Profile catalog with the very distinctive flaw on the upper horn very visible.
wow, must be cool to see our own guitar on the catalog! some scans?
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 01:43 PM
Vendor

I have several guitars from catalogs. I usually look at the catalog if I want to see them, it's easier than dragging the guitars out
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
I have several guitars from catalogs.
jeez... that must be cool! now you gotta post some example for us to see! or tell us what guitars in what catalogs! please!
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 01:58 PM
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 02:14 PM

^
And of your 0 Pick DNA!!.. Of course. Nice story btw.

grüße
Andreas (:
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 02:25 PM

Nice UVs ! BTW, do you keep your case queens tuned to pitch at correct neck relief for long-term storage, do you detune and/or yearly check on the necks to make sure they are OK ? Must be a nice, but busy day going through all of your collectors for check-ups !
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 02:36 PM
Vendor

I need to drag them out, they're overdue for neck check. At pitch.

Bloodbath wasn't in any catalogs
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I need to drag them out, they're overdue for neck check.
Woohoo, maybe we'll get some new pics then

Quote:
At pitch.
Thanks for the info, need to store my DNA for some months !

BTW, thanks for the great NAMM report.

More on topic, do the js 10th hold the chrome better than the prm or obviously 2ch ?
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 03:18 PM
Vendor

The luthite doesn't expand and contract, not to the extent wood does anyway.

Tags
js2ch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

Ibanez JS2CH
ibanez js2ch
JS2CH "Chrome Boy"
guitar ibanez js2ch

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode