JS2PRM - How are they doing? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Smile JS2PRM - How are they doing?

I was wondering how the finish is holding up on JS2PRM's that are played, or even on the many unplayed ones, any info out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 04:38 PM

Re: JS2PRM - How are they doing?

They're great until you touch them....very fragile. I know a guy who played his and the finish started to peel.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 04:47 PM

Reviews: 3

The finish is fine, as long as I just look at it

Josh
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 05:15 PM

i'd love to see pix of faded ones...
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 01:16 PM

Just look at the pictures of Satch's. Lots of finish missing on that one.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Hi Ryanb
Can you post some pics of the worn JS2prm that you mention of Satches?
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 07:13 PM

Talking Re: JS2PRM - How are they doing?

Hey guys,

I hate to break the myth, but JS2 PRM's (and prior to those, the JS10's) CAN be played without finish wearing off and peeling.

Yes, they are undoubtedly more fragile than a normal paint and clearcoat finish, and yes they will lose the 'unblemished' look, but as long as you take care and cover them with some sort of static cling vinyl over areas you arm and hands touch, you can play them - BUT YOU DO NEED TO BE MORE WARY THAN WITH OTHER FINISHES!!!!

I have previously gigged for about 4 years with a JS10 covered in the appropriate areas this way and never had a flake, peel, chip or scratch (only scratches appeared when cleaning it). I remove the cling every month or so to clean underneath and have had no problems with residue or peeling of finish underneath (JS10th or JS2PRM)

I now have a JS2PRM that I rehearse with every week, play every day and will be gigging soon. I also have static cling vinyl on this guitar and, so far, no problems with fade, peel, chip or spontaneous combustion. It sounds great too!

As I say, you will definitely lose the 'mint, unblemished' look, but with a bit of care and appropriate protection, these babies can be played.

However, if you've bought them as an investment, then probably best stick to looking at it and play something less likely to show wear!

Pictures of both Chromies intact after lots of playing (and the JS10 at a gig, with the static cling on it) can be seen at www.myspace.com/sukhryatt

** SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT **!!

Totally by the way, the JS2PRM will get its first public gig on January 26th in Kingston upon Thames if anyone feels like coming along. My band are playing to raise money for cancer research, so come see the shiny guitar not peel and feel good about helping raise dough for a worthwile cause.

Take care!
Toady

Last edited by Toadfish; 12-30-2007 at 07:20 PM.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmerlin7 View Post
Hi Ryanb
Can you post some pics of the worn JS2prm that you mention of Satches?
Here are a couple screencaps from the Satch Live DVD. Joe is holding the camera. Mike Manning has the guitar and Galen is pointing.

And just for fun ... here's a pic of the peac_ck guitar for those who haven't seen it...

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 12:43 PM

Maybe I should send Joe some static cling - it would sure save heart-breaking pictures like these being shown.

Then again, maybe he just figured Ibanez got it right this time and he could play them without bits falling off! Oh well, I guess there is always the JS2prmV2 to look forward to...

Happy new year all!
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 05:22 PM

Reviews: 18

Hey Toady, why don't you post a few pics of yours with the cling on? I'd like to see what it looks like and if you can tell something's on the guitar at a glance.

Jimmy

P.S.: I think I should pull mine out to say hi to it
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 06:26 PM

No problem my man - will do so tomorrow! You can definitely see it, no doubt, but at least it lets you play it without worrying. Like I said, I play the sh*t out of mine every week and no problems. From a few feet away, you can't see it, and its covered even more so when you're playing.

If you want an earlier peek, check out my myspace page - the 'old beast' picture is taken in a dark club, but is covered in cling (it was the JS10). There is a 'new beast' picture of the JS2 but that was before I covered her.

There's also a video on there of me playing the 10 at a gig - not the clearest of vids, but the chromey is also covered in that vid.

I'll organise some pics tomorrow and get them posted.

Take it easy!
Sukh

Last edited by Toadfish; 01-05-2008 at 06:37 PM.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 05:28 PM

ok, I have a pic!

However, in my ignorance, I can't figure out how to attach it to this post. The box at the bottom of the posting page says 'You may NOT post attachments'.

Any help gratefully received!

Or if some kind dude on this thread would like to post it for me, I'll email the pic on to you ;-)

Last edited by Toadfish; 01-06-2008 at 05:42 PM.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 06:02 PM

Don't "attach" it. Put it on a server somewhere and post the link using [IMG] tags.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 06:38 PM

Thanks for the tip - here it is!

You can see the outer edges of the cling around the area where your forearm would rest, around the volume pot and pickup selector and under the strings and also the area you'd normally expect a small scratchplate to extend to (heading towards the lower horn). When playing it, and particularly on a stage from a few feet away, you can't see it at all. I have also put a small piece of cling on the top edge of the trem to help avoid the 'pitting' that's common on the Edge trems (it had already started to pit slightly before I noticed and stuck the cling on it, but that should stop it getting any worse).

The vertical scuffs you can see below the top E are just marks in the cling that I haven't cleaned, not damage to the finish.

The back of the guitar is totally covered- every inch. The front is just at the points I detailed above. Where the cling is on the guitar, it dullens the finish slightly, but that's a small price to pay to be able to play one of these beauties and for the reaction you get when you take it on a stage and the lights hit it.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Toadfish; 01-06-2008 at 06:51 PM.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 06:54 PM

That's why it is not peeling, the things pretty well protected. It's the reaction from the acids and perspiration that causes the damage.

Tags
beautiful guitar , cavity cover , edge trem , edge trems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode