a js6 that breaks my heart. any thoughts? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

a js6 that breaks my heart. any thoughts?

hi there. i've been in possession of a js6 for about 8 years now- snatched the last floor model in the store. as those of you who own it can attest, it sounds amazing. this is one guitar that ibanez REALLY did a good job on.

...except for one problem: i've never been able to keep this thing in tune for more than 5 minutes at a time. no matter how many setups, adjustments, investigations, etc., i go through, damn thing won't stay in tune. one recent guitar repairman suggests it might have to do with the neck "not having dried out enough."

i've thought about putting locking tuners to see if that corrects the problem. i've also tried looking around for replacement necks (including the ever-controversial ed roman, who seems able to do it for a steep fee and unabashed ibanez opinions).

any recommendations? any thoughts? anyone else suffering the same problem on their guitar (js or non-js)? it kills me that a guitar this good has to have this fatal flaw, and 8 years later, i'm tired of it. this guitar should be a main axe, and it's not.

thanks.
wild koba
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 01:26 PM
Vendor

My first suspect would be the tuners. Also check and make sure the nut is grooved properly and isn't binding any of the wound strings.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 01:55 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

get a new repairman :biggrin:

The neck not being dried out would be a NON-factor when the axe is climatized and tuned and you're playing all day. Granted, it could effect the axe losing it's setup week-to-week as the weather/climate changes... but not causing your "5-minute tuning" problem.

Do what Rich said and post back. This is an *easy* guitar to debug, because it's fixed bridge. Good luck... glen
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 04:51 PM

usually i have seen more problems with the nut than the tuners. does any string go out of tune sharp? if that happens, be sure it's the nut. string trees aren't very good for tuning either. (i don't remember if the js6 has trees). my advice: get a graphite nut, professionally fitted. a set of sperzels is a great investment too. i have them on my cheap old cort and the thing lasts for hours in tune.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 11:16 PM

Just make sure everything is tight... all the bridge parts, the string ferrules in the back, the neck bolts, the tuners, everything. I'd suggest replacing the nut with a GraphTech one, and getting locking tuners, either Sperzels or Gotoh Magnum Lock. With staggered-post tuners, you may even be able to get rid of the string retainer bar, which may contribute to any friction-related tuning problems.

And if none of that works, i'll take it off your hands.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2002, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

must thank y'all for the advice. spent part of my afternoon looking at parts sites, and i've got some ideas.

couple more questions:

graphite nut: straight, curved, slotted? i'm guessing i ought to go with a straight one, right?
anyone care to donate locking kluson tuners my way? :-)

(i thought of klusons because i remember reading somewhere about js wanted to have the old-school klusons on his guitars, etc. but of course, sperzels would work just fine, i bet.)

thanks again.
wild koba
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2002, 08:52 PM
Vendor

You'll need a nut cut for a 9 1/2" radius, unless you plan on radiusing it yourself.

(Edited by Rich at 9:08 pm on Feb. 23, 2002)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

hey there, folks. just wanted to let y'all know that i finally said "screw it" and got my js6 fixed. i found kluson-style locking pegs (from allparts, i think), and a graphite nut. sent it off to trusty guitar repair guy, who had it ready for me yesterday.

...and so far, so good. it's not 100%, but i think that's cause the strings are brand new. i expect that the thing'll stay better in tune as i break them in. one thing i DEFINITELY notice is that my g and b strings aren't going way sharp or flat. this is a very good thing (that was one of the common problems back in the day).

i gotta say, i forgot how nice that guitar sounds through a mesaboogie and a blue tube pedal. it was hot!

so yeah, thanks to all of you who suggested this approach. you've hopefully helped me cure a serious problem that was driving me ape****. i invite you all to check out my journal entry (http://www.wildkoba.com/flying) for a humorous version of this story.

mad proppage.
wild koba

Tags
fixed bridge , graphite nut , locking tuners , neck bolts , retainer bar , string tree , string trees , wound strings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode