Js6 repair oil finish - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Smile Js6 repair oil finish

Hey hey..
Is it a major job to repair the oil finish on a js6 when it wears away?
Does take any special treatment?

How much old you pay for one right now..,
Ishhh
Ball park fiugure..
More than a grand? Less that a grand?
I just don't know????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 08:36 PM

Re: Js6 repair oil finish

There's another thread discussing relative costs, etc. If I had the opportunity to get one in good shape for less than a grand, I'd be all over it, and I already own one. If it's severely dinged up, notsomuch.

From what I've heard, it's not too tough to sand and re-oil one. If there's significant chips/dents you won't do much good with re-oil though.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 02:40 AM
Contributor

I'd try GuitarGuru. He's a regular on this site and his ad should be on the top banner. I had him do some work for me and he's good. Send him a personal message or go through the site.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 12:10 AM

Hey

Have been looking on here for literally years, but this is my first post in the JS forum!

I picked up a JS6000 earlier this year which was filthy after years of playing, but I managed to get it into pretty good shape without too much effort.

All you need is some 0000 gauge steel wool and tung oil. I spent a long time with the wire wool gently sanding the body down, but it was worth it as it removed of all the dirt and smoothed out most of the small dings in the guitar.

I then gave it several light coats of tung oil, letting each coat dry for several days and then lightly sanding with the 0000 steel wool before the next coat.

I didn't want the guitar to end up too dark so just stopped when it looked right to me.

I then followed Rich's cleaning and setup tutorial on Ibanezrules - which worked wonders as I dont think the neck had ever been cleaned - put it all together and was bowled over with the results. I ended up replacing all the hardware with chrome like on the JS6 as it's so much easier to keep clean than the cosmo, but have all the original hardware which cleaned up brilliantly.

As I say - easy. Everything I did was from reading posts on here and Ibanezrules - ultimately it's just a lump of wood, so you can't really go wrong.

Hope that helps

Last edited by Davus PG; 08-06-2010 at 01:48 PM.

Tags
js6 oil finish , repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode