JS600 and JS700...a couple of questions - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

JS600 and JS700...a couple of questions

Hello all, like the title says I have a couple of questions about these models.

It stems from the fact that I have one of each, both marked Korea with the Joe Satriani inlay at the 21st fret.

I know that both models have different builds, Japanese and Korean.
So..

1) Build Quality. Is there a huge difference?
2) Pickups? The same on both?
3) Electronics? Same?
4) Wood?
5) Necks?

Anything that makes the Japanese exceedingly better? And worth so much more?

I know, I know....
If I really wanted a Hardtail JS there are much better choices. But I don't have cash for one and really don't see it happening in the near future.
I have tried to find a JS600 from Japan for years....with no luck.

Seeing I have the 2 from Korea, is there an upgrade I can do that is reasonable in cost?
I actually have to redo the JS600, as the person who had it before rewired it and it's not playable in all switch positions. There are some loose wires as well..

I'm really hoping Rich will read this and educate me on these models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 08:04 PM
Contributor

Re: JS600 and JS700...a couple of questions

JS600s only came from Korea. JS700 came in korean (Joe Satriani inlay) and Japanese (JS Custom) inlay. The difference is only in the the quality level. I believe all pickups and specs are the same. The quality level in korean vs japanese is significant if I can assume it's the same as a JS100 vs a JS1000. I know that the JS100 has a different trem and pickups, but there is a quality level difference and that will be the same as the 700 in korean vs japanese.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 10:29 PM

Re: JS600 and JS700...a couple of questions

I had a 700 at one point and put the soap bar sized Dimarzio humbuckers in it. Super Distortion in bridge, the neck was more PAF style. That helped a lot for me. Ultimately I sold mine when I got a JS6. I prefer the feel of the gotoh hardtail to that tune-o-magic style.

Other than that - the necks on my JS1 and JS6 are vastly superior to that 700, at least in my hands. Of course as you noted, those are 3x or 4x the cost of the 700.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode