JS6000 Project....... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 04:14 AM Thread Starter

JS6000 Project.......

Well I'm looking into restoring my JS6000 back to original mainly because I don't like the floating trem that was put on it. Basically it has the floating trem with sperzel tuners which to me isn't a very stable system! I want the original fixed bridge put back on so I can do alternate tunings!

Also I am thinking of having it painted a nice blue sparkle/flake finish since I know after the cavities are filled it will more than likely be very noticeable plus I think a JS body painted that style will look SSSAAAWWWEEETTT!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 12:05 PM

Re: JS6000 Project.......

Hey Scott, you may have already seen this, but there's a tutorial on Project Guitar that shows the proper way to convert from a trem to a fixed bridge guitar. There are some important tricks described there about how to fill in the trem cavities. (I learned the hard way). It's definitely worth reading.
Cheers,
Bert
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 12:12 PM

Why not just wait a few weeks and install a Tremol-No?

It's a shame nobody's making aftermarket JS bodies yet. A few suppliers have been promising them over the years, but none have come through.
post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson

It's a shame nobody's making aftermarket JS bodies yet. A few suppliers have been promising them over the years, but none have come through.
I imagine from the body shape its a total pain in the ass to make js bodys. they have more curvature than pretty much any instrument I can think of whereas the rg shape is pretty much flat and squared off, really easy to produce!
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 74
Well I'm looking into restoring my JS6000 back to original mainly because I don't like the floating trem that was put on it. Basically it has the floating trem with sperzel tuners which to me isn't a very stable system! I want the original fixed bridge put back on so I can do alternate tunings!

Also I am thinking of having it painted a nice blue sparkle/flake finish since I know after the cavities are filled it will more than likely be very noticeable plus I think a JS body painted that style will look SSSAAAWWWEEETTT!!!
Sounds good. Is it going to be like the 90th?
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

http://www.ibanezregister.com/images...r570/ibby5.JPG

This is how I want the finish, but don't know if I am going to be able to bring myself to actually have it done

Darren what is a Tremo-No??
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
A few weeks?! Huh, wha? Are they ready to be sold soon? Gimme. I didn't see any news in other threads....
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 04:06 PM

Quote:
http://www.ibanezregister.com/images...r570/ibby5.JPG

This is how I want the finish, but don't know if I am going to be able to bring myself to actually have it done

Darren what is a Tremo-No??
Tremolno is a device developed by Kevin who used to frequent jemsite that essentially allows you to turn your tremolo on or off with NO issues. Apparently something that finally really works well, and has no effect whatsever on tuning stability, tone, or playibility other than improving them. It would essentially make your guitar a fixed bridge, or you could also have the drop c equipped version which allows you to lower pitch only. Very useful device i cant wait to buy one
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Cool thx!
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 12:00 AM

Let me get this straight; you routed a JS6000, to put a trem on it? Yikes.
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 06:50 AM

Quote:
I love that guitar, the colour and the reverse headstock just does it for me. I have always kinda been on the lookout for one of those. You really dont see many of them at all though.
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

no no no I would never mod a JS6000 like that! Thats how I got the guitar when I bought it, but actually now I am thinking of only having the cavities filled and just leaving original.

The Tremolo no sounds cool but I want it to be a hardtail again plus I still have that cherry JS body I got off Jeremy way back, or someone he had sold it too. Anyway Rob is helping me with that one so I think I will just have that one done in blue sparkle.....decisions decisions
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Wow I can't believe....well I actually can I started this thread over 5yrs ago, and the JS is STILL not done! It's still sitting in a nice hardshell case doing nothing! I attribute it mainly to my laziness and plain old losing interest in playing plus I don't know who I can trust to fill in the routed cavities and do the repairs right. Not me.....I just dont' trust my skills. I'll post some pictures when I get home from work.

However everytime I do try to get it going again I can never find a cosmo black Gotoh GTC101 bridge. I know I can get em in chrome, gold, and black, but I want original. Same goes for the tuners....though those are easier to find. I still have all the wirinig, pickups, pickup rings and knobs. If anyone can help me find the bridge and tuners I'd be very grateful. Just email me at [email protected]!
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Here are the pics I promised....

[img]
IMG_1249 by iblaze74, on Flickr[/img]

[img]
IMG_1250 by iblaze74, on Flickr[/img]

[img]
IMG_1256 by iblaze74, on Flickr[/img]

[img]
IMG_1258 by iblaze74, on Flickr[/img]

[img]
IMG_1259 by iblaze74, on Flickr[/img]
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 11:21 PM

Scott,

It's been a long time since you started this thread. One thing that has changed since then is that there is now a reliable source of good quality JS bodies -- Perle Guitars. Given the huge amount of work to fill those cavities, and the fact that the body will never be close to original, you'd really be better off picking up a new mahogany JS6-style body from Perle for about $185, applying a tung oil finish (easy) and put your neck and hardware on it. Personally, I'd consider that a far better option than an iffy patch and fill job on the original body.

Tags
alternate tuning , alternate tunings , body shape , darren wilson , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , reverse headstock , sperzel tuners

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode