JS6400 - An Experimental Build - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 114 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

JS6400 - An Experimental Build

Well, I think it's about time I built something after my Telebanez build. First let me make this clear:
- This will be a slow build as I tend to create a boat load of problems out of the simplest things, so the updates may be far and away

JS 6400:
- One piece Honduran Mahogany body
- Birdseye maple neck with 10" to 14" compound radius Wenge fretboard (The wenge fretboard is a most generous gift from our own Swirltop by the way, many thanks!)
- Gotoh GTC-01 bridge as JS-6/6000, (generic 6 saddle bridge if cost becomes an issue)
- Jescar 47095 "thin and tall" silver nickel frets
- Tung Oil Finish
- Pre-2000 JS Electronics with high pass filter on volume and tone pots
- I haven't decided what brand/model pickups so I'm open to suggestions for pickup combinations that would complement the wood selection. I'm tempted to go with Pro-Track or Chopper for the neck and Fred at bridge if I can get them for a good price on the auction site, but as I said nothing set in stone yet.

For the template I started with a Radius drawing and traced my JS2400 on it to arrive at the correct lower horn shape for the 24 frets. If this was going to be the only JS build, I wouldn't have bothered with the template, but I have alder blanks that I want to turn into a 2410 clone, hence the template

Here are some "Raw material shots". (don't mind the 24fret Tele w/Gotoh trem in the shot. It's a concurrent build. I may post its own thread in the "Setup/Repairs" sub-forum later on)

Nice birdseye figure on the neck. I should say it is from a Home Depot 1x3 maple ($2.47 per lft IIRC) and I have enough for two more necks. I wish i had the capability to re-saw the last piece, it would make outrageous fingerboards

Here's the Honduran Mahogany. It is tad over 13" wide enabling for the 1-piece body. The good thing is, it is quite light at 2.63 lb per bdft, which will make the routed body somewhere around 3.75-4 lbs range. the bad thing is, it is 1.5", so it will be about a quarter inch thinner than the other JSs, which is not exactly a bad thing, just different.

This is the whole board. Had I had enough to make a neck out of the remaining parts, I would have loved to make the neck out of the same wood a-la JS700 as well. Maybe for another build

I've already radiused the fingerboard with my compound radius jig. This one is the version 2.0 with the router sled.

The end result still needs to be "polished" with high grit sandpaper, but radiusing the board with router beats the sanding beam method; (this photo is not of the Wenge, but you get the picture)

I'm pretty much set on using the Wenge board with the Tung Oil finished body as I think they will match well, but I have a choice between Indian Rosewood and Cocobolo for the Tele build. Group shot of possible fingerboards

This is where I am now. Templates and fingerboards are completed, next will be routing for 2-way truss rods and cutting the necks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 114 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 10:29 PM

Re: JS6400 - An Experimental Build

Ahh man, so badass! I'm merely an "assembler", and have a ton of respect for those that literally "build" custom guitars. I'll be excitingly awaiting progression updates!
post #3 of 114 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks,

Unfortunately, with 90+ degrees of weather the last couple of days, i haven't had a chance to work a lot on this build. It's difficult to focus on power tools when I'm soaked with sweat within 15 minutes of starting to work.
post #4 of 114 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 04:07 PM

keep sharing! looking forward to see moreee!
post #5 of 114 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Dani. Soon.
post #6 of 114 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 04:47 AM

Subscribed!
post #7 of 114 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Not much of an update as a new client and the loss of my dear grandma kept me away from the build but things are finally seem to be turning around.

I finally got around routing the truss rod slots on a couple of pending builds. The bottom neck in the picture is for the 6400. Top one is for the Tele with floyd. I had a little mishap forgetting to reset the fence on the router table in between neck blanks so JS6400's neck had a 1/8" deep 1/2" diameter hole near truss rod adjustment nut. Even though it is going to be under the fretboard, i've gone ahead and plugged the hole with a piece of 1/2" dowel. Can be seen clearly in the 2nd photo.

In the meantime, I've decided to add one more to the build list and glued up a three piece alder blank for a JS2410 clone. . The pieces came at a whopping $29 price tag including shipping, so I said "Why not!?"

Here's the neck blank for that one all routed for the truss rod. It was a wider blank, not enough for a second neck, so I used the wider section as practice piece

Next up is cutting and routing the neck blanks, cutting fret slots on the fretboards and gluing them up.
post #8 of 114 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 07:58 PM

Reviews: 13

That's cool to follow, keep posting.
post #9 of 114 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I'll update all the steps. It's just that it is going quite slowly at the moment.
post #10 of 114 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Didn't do a lot since the last time. What started as a "part time" client started taking up quite a lot of time while the paid hours stayed "part time"

Anyway, i didn't get action shots, but after finishing routing the truss rod channels, i cut the neck outlines on the band saw as close to the pencil line as I dared.

Taped the template to the rough cuts with double sided duct tape and got the edges nice and smooth on the router table.

Now that there is a neck outline to the exact size, I started on the roundover template so that I end up with a neck has that rectangular ends at the heel above the body, but the corners are rounded in the heel pocket. So I routed another neck template out of MDF and then took the corners off with a 1/4" roundover bit like this:

And the two templates on top of each other.

I'll use the top template to shape the fretboard and then use the bottom template to shape the bottom ~ 5/8" of the heel to the pocket so there are no round corners on top of the guitar body.

I clamped the fret slot cutting jig to the workmate, and cut a couple fretboard blanks.

And here they are along with the neck blanks ready to be glued on to the blanks for inlay, fret and neck shaping work. I'll thickness the headstock to its final thickness before gluing the fretboard for all neck blanks though. It can be done later, but it is easier to lay the neck blank on the router table when there is no curved surface such as the fretboard glued to it

Decision time. I know I'm definitely using the wenge board for the JS6400 build, and i will be using the rosewood (the bottom one) for the JS2410 clone, I don't know which one of the remaining three to use on the heavy metal Tele I mentioned in the first post. Rosewood (2nd from top) is cut to Gibson scale (24.635"/628mm) and the Cocobolo (3&4) are Fender scale (25.5"/648mm). I may actually end up putting the rosewood on a vintage modified heavy metal thinline tele ("VM HMTT", how is that for an acronym!?) build. i think my wife's gonna kill me!

That's it for now. Once i fret and shape the neck, I will use it to make a template for the heel joint and route it into the body so that neck-body alignment is established. Then the body work will start. I'd like to be done with all the cutting and shaping before it gets too cold to work in the garage so I have to pick the pace up a little.
post #11 of 114 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissTheApex View Post
Here's the Honduran Mahogany. It is tad over 13" wide enabling for the 1-piece body. The good thing is, it is quite light at 2.63 lb per bdft, which will make the routed body somewhere around 3.75-4 lbs range. the bad thing is, it is 1.5", so it will be about a quarter inch thinner than the other JSs, which is not exactly a bad thing, just different.
That's awfully thin, maybe S-series thin. Could you maybe throw a maple top on it for a bit more thickness? I'd be worried about some of the same problems the S has, the depth of the route needed for your pickup selector and pots, the trem block needing to be a special size, etc.
post #12 of 114 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
That's awfully thin, maybe S-series thin. Could you maybe throw a maple top on it for a bit more thickness? I'd be worried about some of the same problems the S has, the depth of the route needed for your pickup selector and pots, the trem block needing to be a special size, etc.
I think I'll be alright. The pots and switch I use are little less than an inch in the cavity, so I should have half an inch remaining for the top and the cavity cover (combined). And since it is a hardtail, there's no trem route.

In all honesty, I still have time till i start on the body so if I come across a nice 8/4 Honduran Mahogany in the meantime I can change to that one, but am not willing to pay what online lumber yards are charging for a one piece H. Mahogany body blank ($150+). This whole blank was roughly $55, which makes it $27.5 per blank with some left overs as well.
post #13 of 114 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 06:12 AM
SYL

loving this....
post #14 of 114 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks!
post #15 of 114 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 11:25 AM

Man I missed this one! You've been pretty busy lately, everything looks great!

Tags
js6400

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode