JS900 Question! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2002, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

JS900 Question!

Hey guys,

I'm new here and I'm really keen on getting a new JS900 BP for myself (in Malaysia we're pretty much limited to a BP JS900 or a BTB JS1000). I am aware of the electronic and wood differences between the two models however, I'd like to know more about the Lo-Pro Edge and Edge bridges on the JS900 and JS1000.

Being a Strat player, I have very little experience with Floyd Rose style bridges so I was wondering it the "higher" Edge bridge will affect my playing style or will it be difficult to switch over from a Strat style bridge to adapt to the new Edge bridge?

I have a habit of resting my picking hand on the bridge saddles of my Strat while picking and from what I've heard, I can't do this on Floyd Rose style bridges without accidentally triggering some tremolo action? or will the Lo pro Edge be better for my case?

I can't try the two guitars out because the distributor here only orders them if someone is purchasing a unit but I managed to try the cheaper JS100 with the TRS bridge (hope i got that right) and it worked pretty ok for me because the bridge felt rather stiff.

I'd appreciate any help you can offer in this matter, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Well, in my experience, the Edge is usually a little looser than the Lo-Pro Edge with the same/similar set up on the guitar. The Lo-Pro is also definately less obtrusive when compared to an Edge bridge and as such is probably a little more like the traditional strat bridge.

Some people prefer the Edge, some the Lo-Pro I'm personally happy with either. However in order to minimise the difference between a normal Strat bridge and the Ibanez bridge I think in truth I'd say go for a Lo-Pro, just to be on the safe side.

If you want the Black Pearl colour on a JS1000 click on THIS link, or the big swirled Ibanez Rules banner at the top of the page and Rich will sort you out
jono is online  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 04:48 PM
Vendor

Personally I don't think you'd have a problem adapting to either. The LP does have some convenient featuers like the profile of course, and the string un-locks being on the top mid as opposed to the bottom back. I wouldn't let the trem be the deciding factor in which guitar to purchase.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 02:39 AM Thread Starter

hey guys,

thanks very much for your input! i think i am definitely going to give one of them a try, right now i'm basing my choice on the color options (the JS1000 is not available in BP here in Malaysia (and I think the new models are a little too expensive for my budget)

do you have any used JS1000s in BP in stock, Rich? i'll drop you an email to get a quote, maybe i'll just start saving for a new JS1000
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 08:18 AM

i got my js1000bp from rich and im in england were u cant get a bp mine was 2nd hand but rich will get you one new i would guess

trust me youy will love one and richs setup rocks
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

hey there!

yeap, i guess the UK and Asian models are the same, we can't get a JS1000 BP here either, I am hoping Rich has a used 2nd hand model in stock because the new models are quite a bit too expensive but if i save enough for one though, i'd definitely get it from Rich, many of the local distributors here don't know a thing about proper setup

by the way, how much did the shipping cost over to England?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 10:45 AM

The couple of times i've had quotes for shipping to england, it's been $160-180 US... but the major sting here is the import tax, its something like 20% - you should check if any taxes apply in your country
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 01:06 PM
Vendor

Check your email
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

thanks rich! that's an excellent quote i'll follow up with you there

thanks to all for your help!

Tags
bridge saddles , edge bridge , floyd rose , pro edge , strat bridge , strat style , trs bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode