JSifying a Jem - Would you split the humbuckers? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

JSifying a Jem - Would you split the humbuckers?

Hi,

My best friend collects JSs and suggested that I might consider splitting my humbuckers on my Jem and installing a high pass filter. *This would give my Jem the same options as Joe's guitars. *I have experience in splitting the Evolution pickup and just ended up with a weak, tinty sound. *The Jem I am considering modifying now is my DBK. *It has the Breeds which I am very happy with. *They are much warmer sounding than the Evos and might split better like the PAF Pro or FRED. *What do y'all think? *Has anyone here done this to their DBK? *I'm very interested in what people have to say before I spend the time and money modifying my Jem. *I think it is a great idea (I might have come up with it myself!), but just wanted Jem officionatos to give me their opinion. *Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 05:55 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
JSifying a Jem

Well the JEM already has the high pass filter. It's permanently engaged rather than being switched on and off by the volume pot.

I've seen PAF Pros split with a coil tap on the tone pot but never done it (or wanted to do it) myself.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 08:55 AM

JSifying a Jem

I've never heard the Breeds in SC mode by themselves before, but I'd expect they would probably sound good. *

What I find is a little easier than wiring a switch to split the HBs is to wire a switch to turn off the SC. *With the switch on, you get the usual split-5 wiring, with it off, you get HB-HB split-off-HB split-HB. *As long as you don't mind the 'off' setting, it's a lot easier to wire, and to undo if you find you don't like it.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 04:30 PM

JSifying a Jem

The electronics in my floral are heavily customized, with a Breed in the bridge, a coil tap for ALL pickups on the tone control, and neck&bridge pickups selected on position 3 on the switch... The tapped PAF Pro and Breed are very usable alone, but sound fabulous together - an excellent combination and the coil tapping was well worth the minumum cost and effort... Highly Recommended :thumbsup:
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2002, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

JSifying a Jem

Wow! *What a lot of cool suggestions. *I have a lot to think about. *

Tags
bridge pickup , bridge pickups , coil tap , coil tapping , high pass filter , paf pro , paf pros

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode