Jumbo SS frets on Wizard neck (7vwh) - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Jumbo SS frets on Wizard neck (7vwh)

Hi Guys ,
I've got Jumbo Ni frets on my YJm Strat .
I am busy refretting my 30 years old , hand made guitar with Jescar Jumbo SS frets .

In December , my first Tom Anderson DT with SS Jumbo frets should be delivered .

You see , it is question of time when I'll re-fret my lovely 7vwh with the same SS Jumbo frets .

Anyone over-there who already has experience with SS Jumbo's in his Ibanez wizard neck ?

Your inputs will be very appreciated , thanks .
BH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 05:56 PM

Re: Jumbo SS frets on Wizard neck (7vwh)

i gues it is nothing else than other ibanez sig guitars with jumbo's.i dont mind what frets i have.what do you feel different?
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 09:32 PM
NSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianxtr View Post
i gues it is nothing else than other ibanez sig guitars with jumbo's.i dont mind what frets i have.what do you feel different?
One of the biggest problems, I've read, is how the scalloped necks are manufactured (and the problems associated with them). Reading that Ibanez had so many problems with the inlays falling out during the scalloping process and that many people don't want to touch a Jem that has worn frets (due to problems from above) makes me think you should leave it until it absolutely needs it!
I don't speak from experience but that's how I would imagine it.
Above all, diversity is good
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 09:51 PM

I have several wizard necks with SS frets, what do you want to know?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
I have several wizard necks with SS frets, what do you want to know?
I would like to know why did you replace original ones and put the SS frets in your Wizard neck .
Thanks
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 12:15 PM

Because the nickel frets needed replacing, and I prefer stainless frets. I like the feel, sound and zero maintenance.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 01:29 PM

Reviews: 22

At some point all of my main guitars will be refretted with ss frets.
Other than the cost of refretting (which has to be done anyways) I do not see any huge drawbacks.
I hate having the original binding removed from my guitars though...
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 03:39 PM

You should have to remove binding to refret a neck unless the binding is somehow in need of repair.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
Because the nickel frets needed replacing, and I prefer stainless frets. I like the feel, sound and zero maintenance.

What do you prefer about the sound? I love the feel and hardness, but I've never been able to make a sound comparison to Nickel.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 10:58 AM

I have recently installed stainless steel frets on my Jem and I cannot recommend them enough. I will never go back to nickel silver now, nickel silver frets should be only for the budget guitars IMHO, Jems should have stainless from factory.

As for the sound difference, I noticed very little tone change if any, all I did noticed is a slightly more solid feel and perhaps a little more sustain. Some of this could be placebo effect but there is certainly no detrimental tone difference.

The main thing you will notice is bends are a dream, so easy with near zero resistance. Make sure you get good quality fret-wire. Jescar seems to be the top dog for Stainless and that’s what I got.

I have been told stainless steel frets last up to 10 to 15 years longer than nickel silver !!! Not 10 to 15 years total but “longer” than nickel silver !!! I am unsure how they know this but ….

Seriously don’t hesitate, go stainless !!!
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 03:44 AM Thread Starter

Hi VKB Shredder ,
That's reply I was looking for ,thanks .

Which size SS frets did you put in , Jumbo or substitute for Warmoth 6105 ?
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickbean View Post
What do you prefer about the sound? I love the feel and hardness, but I've never been able to make a sound comparison to Nickel.
There is not really a sound "difference", but there is a "snappiness" to the notes, and since bends are so much easier, a subtle vibrato.

I love them, and at some point all my guitars will have them.

I use either Warmoth 6115 or Jescar FW55090-S
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Hi VKB Shredder ,
That's reply I was looking for ,thanks .

Which size SS frets did you put in , Jumbo or substitute for Warmoth 6105 ?

I can do better than that, here’s the link where I bought it from.

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdpro...ader=+Fretwire

This is Jescar fret wire (the make you want) the part number is FWSS110.

As for size I looked for the tallest fret-wire I could get in stainless, even then I scalloped the board, but that’s my personal taste.

This part number is for a four foot length, if you haven’t fitted stainless before I suggest you get 2 lengths to practice with. The wire is actually very cheap but it is the postage and packaging that bumps the price up when buying small amounts.

Manufactures and luthiers know full well that stainless steel fret wire is considerably better for the player but try to cloud the issue with mumbo jumbo about a “plinky” noise or “they wear your strings out quicker” etc. This is all of course rubbish, the fact is stainless steel takes a little more effort to install than the softer nickel and so they don’t want the extra hassle.

Don’t get the impression that it takes an awful lot longer to install and dress them. I would estimate it to take possibly another 2 hours or so compared to a nickel re-fret. If you are intending to have a luthier do the work you will have to pay slightly more than a standard nickel re-fret but not really much more than 2 hours and perhaps a contribution to the extra wear on his files and cutters.

Most importantly check the prospective luthiers work before you hand over your guitar. Don’t go to a luthier who even starts to suggest that you install nickel instead of stainless as they are obviously not keen on stainless and will use it as an excuse if they mess up.

Anyone you go to needs good quality tools (diamond files etc) and a little experience with stainless. Your average budget luthier isn’t really going to be up to it. Some have the decency to admit they aren’t capable of installing stainless but you have to watch out for the ones who claim they can but quickly get out of their depth and mess up your guitar !!

Good luck with your re-fret, you will love the stainless feel and welcome to the stainless club !!
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 11:44 AM

The biggest issue I ran into with installing SS wire was the spring back. Now I just use a few drops of superglue before I press the fret in.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 03:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBK-Shredder View Post
Good luck with your re-fret, you will love the stainless feel and welcome to the stainless club !!
As soon as I get my hand made guitar refreted this week and my first Tom Anderson in December (both guitars will have Jumbo SS frets from Jescar ) I 'll order from Jescar a stanlies Jumbo wire for my 7vwh .

And yes , all the catch here is with luthiers , everything you said is 100 % correct !
Thanks Bro !

Tags
ss jumbo frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode