Just bought a BSB. Dont know how to clean it! HELP!!! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Just bought a BSB. Dont know how to clean it! HELP!!!

Hi there!!! I have a problem. Bought a bsb but dont know how to clean it. I am afraid to use regular products. Cause i think they might rub off the finish, since it has no clear coat. What should I use???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 03:06 AM

Do a forum search for some more advice on cleaning and have a look here:

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

Best wishes

Simon
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 02:27 PM

Reviews: 4
Well I just did some searching and cannot find anything on cleaning an UN-finished (which the BSB essentially is) axe. Anyone else? I'd like to know since I was thinking about stripping my UV until I can afford a swirl.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 03:10 PM
RCB

Well, if the wood is unfinished and unstainek, completely natural, I wood try with lemon oil. I wouldnt try this in a BSB because i dont know if the stain would be partially removed. Of course, you can restain a BSB wich is pretty easy, but I dont know of I would risk it unless you are able to restain it in case you screw it up.

I owned 2 unfinished guitars (a PC3 and a BSB). I clean the PC3 with lemon oil and it vastly improved. I didn have to clean the BSB, but I did have to restain it.

May be Rich has a better tip about this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 03:30 PM
Vendor

Nope, I say away from dirty BSB's, but I try spit on everything first
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 04:17 PM

lol, a BSB covered completely in spit. Best not to tell the person you sell it on to! lol. But seriously - I would also try that too. Failing that, what about some soapy water? Obviously only apply it thinly. But I cant see what damage it would do! I would give that a try.

If not, maybe get in contact with a furniture polisher/maker - they will be able to help you out. They have to clean unfinished woods etc.

Gary - The.Godfather
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 04:55 PM

I tested cleaning my BSB with both spit and lemon oil, in 2 different spots in the trem cavity... I didn't notice any change in finish color, but there was some stain on the rag, so it took at least a little bit off
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!

Thanks Guys!!! I think i'll stick with rich's tip. Just keep it alway from dirty!!! About the spit.... humm... I dont think so (hehee)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 06:47 PM

Use a soft damp cloth to clean it down. I've had my BSB from new & have used this method everytime it has needed a clean- it hasn't resulted in any colour loss at all
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSBoy
Use a soft damp cloth to clean it down. I've had my BSB from new & have used this method everytime it has needed a clean- it hasn't resulted in any colour loss at all
That's what I do too. My BSB has lost surprisingly little color, even the neck is not badly discolored. Sharp edges around the grip are only places with wood showing through. My hands don't sweat too much, maybe that's a factor too.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2004, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Ok.

Thanks a lot dudes!!! You guys really helped me!! Thanks
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 08:15 AM
EyE

Reviews: 1
My BSB has lost color by sweat, daylight and basicaly by use
http://www.mijnalbum.nl/fotoalbum.ph...1&key=QVSVLAPP
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 08:18 AM

Yeah but, that BSB is cool. It looks like something Vai has used on tour.
Like I said in your previous topic - I love it when guitars look bashed-up like that, it just gives them so much character. Some people wanna look after and care for their guitars, some just wanna play them to death.
I can appreciate both ways - and obviously it depends on what guitar it is and the person using it. Either way, ya gotta love it!
Gary - The.Godfather
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyE
My BSB has lost color by sweat, daylight and basicaly by use
http://www.mijnalbum.nl/fotoalbum.ph...1&key=QVSVLAPP
I like keeping my axes as nice as possible, but I agree with Gary on this one. The wear spots on your BSB has added a lot of character to your guitar.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 09:41 PM
EyE

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.godfather
Yeah but, that BSB is cool. It looks like something Vai has used on tour.
Like I said in your previous topic - I love it when guitars look bashed-up like that, it just gives them so much character. Some people wanna look after and care for their guitars, some just wanna play them to death.
I can appreciate both ways - and obviously it depends on what guitar it is and the person using it. Either way, ya gotta love it!
Gary - The.Godfather
Thanks,
in the beginning i was careful with it, afraid for scratches and stuff. but after a while i thought, what the f#$%! Play it or put it in a glass case. that doesn't mean i throw it around like i don't care, but i realize that it has no paintcoat so it is sensitive for dents and scratches.......so be it.

It's a different story with my Flower pattern. With that baby i am careful with.

John

Tags
clear coat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode