Just bought a jem777sk - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Just bought a jem777sk

Hey guys, im new here and finally am a jem owner. I bought a 777sk yesterday for $1000. Its in really good shape but had 1 issue. A previous owner thought it would be cool to airbrush a triangle 777 thingy on the front. Anyhow, i wet sanded it out but theres still a shadow of where it was cause the paint didnt fade underneath it like it did on the rest of the guitar. So if it were your guitar would you get it refinished? Will that do anything to the value if its done well by somone like sims?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 01:48 PM

Re: Just bought a jem777sk

It depends on which is more important to you, having the finish be as original as possible or for having the color itself even. If you get a complete refinish, the value is going to be compromised, but if that's what YOU want for your guitar, having the guitar you want and being happy with it is more important than its market/resale value. That said, a good neon refinish would be considered added value depending on whom is interested in buying it from you (that is, if they would be the type to get it refinished themselves).
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 01:50 PM

I think it would be kind of cool to see faintly the 777 on it if it's just the original colour showing through.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 02:02 PM

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the SK. I would see about Sims refinishing it, he does nice work, or you could just leave it, any pics?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flobanez View Post
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the SK. I would see about Sims refinishing it, he does nice work, or you could just leave it, any pics?

Thanks. Its in pieces right now but when i get it back together ill put some pics up. I did talk to sims too and thats prob where ill send it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant1981 View Post
I think it would be kind of cool to see faintly the 777 on it if it's just the original colour showing through.
It mightve been but i kept going with the sandpaper and got into the white. Now ive got a white spot about the size of a dime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demiurge View Post
It depends on which is more important to you, having the finish be as original as possible or for having the color itself even. If you get a complete refinish, the value is going to be compromised, but if that's what YOU want for your guitar, having the guitar you want and being happy with it is more important than its market/resale value. That said, a good neon refinish would be considered added value depending on whom is interested in buying it from you (that is, if they would be the type to get it refinished themselves).
I would get it refinished the original color if i had it done. I am concerned about the market value but it seems if i had it done in the original color that it shouldnt effect the value too much but im no expert. Im not too worried though. Ive got $1000 bucks into it and would have $1200 with a refin. It would cost about that to put a project jem together and i got an original.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 05:27 PM

Saw that thing at Eldlerly. One of the sales people told me on the phone that there was a slight warpage to the neck. That, the badly faded color on the body, and the "Vai Eye" decal on the lower body that was cleared over threw up a pass sign to me.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

The necks cool. It plays great. Theres some real winners working there. Been going there for 20+ years now. Funny thing is i was in there last week and they had nothing then i ran into a buddy who works there at the gym monday night and he told me about this one. I was in there tuesday morning to snag it. ****, whatdy want for $1000. You cant hardly buy a piece o crap jem for that. Theyre going for stupid amounts on evilbay now. Ill get my money back if i ever decide to sell it, thats all i care about.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 02:12 AM

Congratz on the sk
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by estray View Post
Theyre going for stupid amounts on evilbay now. Ill get my money back if i ever decide to sell it, thats all i care about.
Welcome to the site!

You're right there... I don't think a refinish will affect the value at all...it's not like it's a '60s sunburst or anything. I know original anything is cool but Bright pink is Bright pink and it's gotta look good....

I'd say at some point if you can afford it go ahead and refinish it....
Pics asap please...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by estray View Post
The necks cool. It plays great. Theres some real winners working there. Been going there for 20+ years now. Funny thing is i was in there last week and they had nothing then i ran into a buddy who works there at the gym monday night and he told me about this one. I was in there tuesday morning to snag it. ****, whatdy want for $1000. You cant hardly buy a piece o crap jem for that. Theyre going for stupid amounts on evilbay now. Ill get my money back if i ever decide to sell it, thats all i care about.
Glad to hear that neck is okay. Have fun with it.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 07:37 PM

Nice score! I'd go for the refinish also!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode