Just bought a jem777sk - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10
Just bought a jem777sk

Hey guys, im new here and finally am a jem owner. I bought a 777sk yesterday for $1000. Its in really good shape but had 1 issue. A previous owner thought it would be cool to airbrush a triangle 777 thingy on the front. Anyhow, i wet sanded it out but theres still a shadow of where it was cause the paint didnt fade underneath it like it did on the rest of the guitar. So if it were your guitar would you get it refinished? Will that do anything to the value if its done well by somone like sims?
estray is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 01:48 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 883
Re: Just bought a jem777sk

It depends on which is more important to you, having the finish be as original as possible or for having the color itself even. If you get a complete refinish, the value is going to be compromised, but if that's what YOU want for your guitar, having the guitar you want and being happy with it is more important than its market/resale value. That said, a good neon refinish would be considered added value depending on whom is interested in buying it from you (that is, if they would be the type to get it refinished themselves).
Demiurge is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 01:50 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Oxfordshire
Posts: 2,244
Re: Just bought a jem777sk

I think it would be kind of cool to see faintly the 777 on it if it's just the original colour showing through.
Ant1981 is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 02:02 PM
 
Flobanez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 5,514
Re: Just bought a jem777sk

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the SK. I would see about Sims refinishing it, he does nice work, or you could just leave it, any pics?
Flobanez is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10
Re: Just bought a jem777sk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flobanez View Post
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the SK. I would see about Sims refinishing it, he does nice work, or you could just leave it, any pics?

Thanks. Its in pieces right now but when i get it back together ill put some pics up. I did talk to sims too and thats prob where ill send it.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant1981 View Post
I think it would be kind of cool to see faintly the 777 on it if it's just the original colour showing through.
It mightve been but i kept going with the sandpaper and got into the white. Now ive got a white spot about the size of a dime.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Demiurge View Post
It depends on which is more important to you, having the finish be as original as possible or for having the color itself even. If you get a complete refinish, the value is going to be compromised, but if that's what YOU want for your guitar, having the guitar you want and being happy with it is more important than its market/resale value. That said, a good neon refinish would be considered added value depending on whom is interested in buying it from you (that is, if they would be the type to get it refinished themselves).
I would get it refinished the original color if i had it done. I am concerned about the market value but it seems if i had it done in the original color that it shouldnt effect the value too much but im no expert. Im not too worried though. Ive got $1000 bucks into it and would have $1200 with a refin. It would cost about that to put a project jem together and i got an original.
estray is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 05:27 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: WayOutThere, Man
Posts: 444
Re: Just bought a jem777sk

Saw that thing at Eldlerly. One of the sales people told me on the phone that there was a slight warpage to the neck. That, the badly faded color on the body, and the "Vai Eye" decal on the lower body that was cleared over threw up a pass sign to me.
jemboyee is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10
Re: Just bought a jem777sk

The necks cool. It plays great. Theres some real winners working there. Been going there for 20+ years now. Funny thing is i was in there last week and they had nothing then i ran into a buddy who works there at the gym monday night and he told me about this one. I was in there tuesday morning to snag it. ****, whatdy want for $1000. You cant hardly buy a piece o crap jem for that. Theyre going for stupid amounts on evilbay now. Ill get my money back if i ever decide to sell it, thats all i care about.
estray is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 02:12 AM
 
mi2tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Penang, Malaysia
Posts: 7,559
Re: Just bought a jem777sk

Congratz on the sk
mi2tom is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 04:11 AM
 
Batchimp RG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: London, UK
Posts: 2,377
Re: Just bought a jem777sk

Quote:
Originally Posted by estray View Post
Theyre going for stupid amounts on evilbay now. Ill get my money back if i ever decide to sell it, thats all i care about.
Welcome to the site!

You're right there... I don't think a refinish will affect the value at all...it's not like it's a '60s sunburst or anything. I know original anything is cool but Bright pink is Bright pink and it's gotta look good....

I'd say at some point if you can afford it go ahead and refinish it....
Pics asap please...
Batchimp RG is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 05:34 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: WayOutThere, Man
Posts: 444
Re: Just bought a jem777sk

Quote:
Originally Posted by estray View Post
The necks cool. It plays great. Theres some real winners working there. Been going there for 20+ years now. Funny thing is i was in there last week and they had nothing then i ran into a buddy who works there at the gym monday night and he told me about this one. I was in there tuesday morning to snag it. ****, whatdy want for $1000. You cant hardly buy a piece o crap jem for that. Theyre going for stupid amounts on evilbay now. Ill get my money back if i ever decide to sell it, thats all i care about.
Glad to hear that neck is okay. Have fun with it.
jemboyee is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 07:37 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Posts: 3,861
Re: Just bought a jem777sk

Nice score! I'd go for the refinish also!
Distantshore is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WHAT GUITAR HAVE YOU GOT WHERE WHEN WHY AND YOUR NEXT steve vai 777 Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 53 01-21-2008 08:08 AM
FS Ibanez Jem777SK zEr0 Classified Ads: Ibanez JEM/UV Guitars 6 10-31-2006 08:12 AM
Jem777sk pricing (& Rudolf Farchione ignorant rants) k1lroy Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk 94 11-30-2004 04:08 PM
Just bought an Ibanez....can anyone help me identify it ? Anton All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 10 11-11-2002 07:43 AM
UV777BK specs please - I just bought one!!!! tomizm Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 2 01-08-2001 01:50 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome