Just bought a UV777... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Just bought a UV777...

Well, I've wanted one for 10 years... when a new store opened here, offering to beat the lowest price I could find (including online stores!) I bought it. It's on order, should be here next Wednesday.

I'd like to hear from those of you who've made the transition from 6 to 7 string. How did it change your playing? Did it add to your creativity or songwriting? Did you experiment with alternate setups (high A instead of low B, or maybe tuning to low A)?

I'm a fan of players like Paul Gilbert, George Lynch, Vito Bratta, and of course, Vai and Satch... so I'm dying to get it in my hands and try. I've been an Ibanez fan for over ten years (I have a '92 770DX and a '92 550) and I love them. I've noodled with Universe 7-strings before and found them to be very comfortable to play despite having smaller hands and long fingers.

Just wondering what I can expect when I get her home. With that said, let the responses fly. Thanks in advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 01:35 PM

Congrats on the UV and welcome to the forum. What can you expect hmmmmmm, well, you can expect a killer axe, although, personally, I don't like the necks on the 2000 and up UV's, I prefer the old UV profile, but it is still a wicked guitar, you will be very happy I'm sure!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 02:40 PM

Congrats on your new UV!!!

A 10 year dream turned to reality. Nice going!
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 03:34 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum!
Congratulations on the Uni !!! It's alwyas been one of my dream guitars...
I found the change from a six to a seven to be very natural. Of course, the neck is wider, but since i also play classical { which has a WiDE neck }, i imagine that helped to soften the transition. At first, you'll probably have the urge to simply grind away and make evil riffage. Don't limit yourself, though, you can make some really beautiful sounds on the 7 string. I've been playing 7's for about 2 years now, hardcore for about a year, and now whenever i pick up a six-string to write a song, i feel really limited; imagine a pianist sitting down behind a piano that has had several keys chopped off of it... thats what it feels like!
Enjoy your purchase!
Ben
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. This was a dream come true... it was almost ten years ago to the day that I played a UV7BK in the store when I bought my RG570 (I said 550 before, it's a 570). I loved it. I loved how you could chunk out heavy riffs or deepen chords by accenting with the lower B string.

I'm also intrigued by the possibility of using a .007 and installing a high A for a while too. Has anyone tried this technique? I'd be interested to know what it would be like to have that extra range available.

I looked at the dimensions of the UV neck versus the Wizard, which is what I'm accustomed to on my other guitars. It's only 5-mm wider at the 1st fret and 9-mm wider at the 21st. I really don't think there's going to be much problem for me, other than getting used to the strings being a little closer (I have thin, long fingers anyway). I also tend to hook my thumb over to accent chords, and that will have to go away for a little while as I get used to the low string.

Please, keep the thread going!! If anyone has any music of their own, I'd love to hear what you're doing with the 7-string guitars. Ten years of dreaming of this thing... I will be jumping in head first, and I have so many ideas... but I'm curious as to what you folks who've had them are out there playing with them.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 04:27 PM

Orlando? Hey, if you have time on June 27th or 28th, stop by and see Jemfest... bring your new UV! Check out some CRAZY musicians.

http://www.jemfest.com

Congrats,
Gabe
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 04:32 PM
EKG

I tried the high A several times and could never get it to tune because the string would always break

I had no problem whatsoever adjusting to a 7. It just adds to everything. Easier scale runs, different chord voicings, and, yes, added "chunk" for the hevier stuff ;-)

Congrats on a great new guitar!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

I will be sure to be there. Seven months will be plenty of time to get used to the new guitar... I'll probably need a fret job by then for as much as I'm likely to play it.

I work about 15 minutes from the hotel you're using, and I live maybe 25 minutes from it. If I can be of any assistance to your organization, feel free to contact me.

Am I glad I stumbled across this site! There are some impressive guitars among this crew...
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 12:38 PM

Reviews: 30
Congrats man! I got my UV777BK back in September and I have picked up my other axes maybe 5 times since then. It's an amazing guitar. When I switched to 7's a few years ago, it was not hard at all adjusting. Now I can't imagine myself playing as comfortably as I do without the extra width of the neck. Hope the new guitar makes you as happy as mine did to me.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 01:31 PM

I have a RG2027x,a RG7620 aand a Carvin 727(all 7strings)I found the Carvin to have a rounder more comfortable neck but the scale length is only 25".

I think Ibanez has the best overall 7strings out there.I am thinking of getting rid of the 7620 adn Carvin and getting the 1077xl from Ibanez.Ifeel that if you listen to A change of seasons from Dream Theater,you will hear how wide a range of ideas you can get from havbing just one extra string.there is alot more to the 7string guitar than just chunk.

YOu should think about your chords you are playing and reorganize them to include the 7th string.Just takes a little time and effort.Good luck with it.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 01:10 AM

a change of seasons! my fav dream theater song!!! heh, anywho. after having the wizard 7 neck for a long time i tryed a uv and it felt a bit chukier, but the more i play em the more i like em. 7s are soo wonderful. im almost glad the korn craze is pretty much over for 7s, i love korn but now it wont really be as much of a novelty. the low B adds soo much then do a "dropped A" sorta tuning and you can get some notes that can make people nearly poo in there pants!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 09:45 AM

With a bit of luck its the drummer..

Congrats on the UV man, i really want one- like a Jem with an extra string. What a novel idea...!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 12:07 PM
rvj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreak
Am I glad I stumbled across this site! There are some impressive guitars among this crew...
Yeah, this is definitely the site to scope tons of gorgeous guitars owned by tons of cool people. Welcome to the forum and Congrats on the UV.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 02:44 AM

Congrats! I got my UV7BK in primo condition in '95 for about $600, that was before Korn made it big. The fool that was selling it was a alt-rock (aka crap-rock) band-wagon jumper and wanted a Fender Strat like everyone else, so I was glad to take it off his hands.

I struggled with it at first compared to my 6-strings, but after spending some time setting it up and getting used to it, I really love it. Awake and A Change of Season by Dream Theater were big influences on me and some of my favorite songs I have written and recorded are somewhat in that vein. Don't underestimate the possibilities of the clean sounds of the 7-string also.

BTW, the Ibanez 770 rocks, eh? I always wanted one of those when they were new, but didn't have the cash at the time. Wouldn't mind finding a used one now.....
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 03:57 AM Thread Starter

Wow!

This thread jumped up after a whole year!

I have gotten so used to having a seventh string that it doesn't phase me. It has done nothing if not sharpen my six string skills while adding a new sound to my playing I never would have discovered otherwise. It's a sweet guitar and I wouldn't part with it for anything. I can change back and forth effortlessly from a six to a seven string guitar. But when I do, my playing tends to change drastically. On the seven, I shy away from chords and use more dynamic rhythms and riffs. Utilizing those extra lows in moving lines is really awesome and I also mimic the techniques of Petrucci and Vai in that respect. I also like starting my solos high on the registers and bringing them down to utilize the extra lows.

I first saw the 770DX in red back in '92. The shop where I was taking lessons had it hanging on the wall and I took it in with me to a lesson. The shop owner often did this for me; I was the most advanced student the store had and he liked my opinion on the guitars he kept in stock. Immediately after that lesson, I placed my order for a '92 in Laser Blue. She is to me what Lucille is to B.B.

-Roger

Tags
beautiful guitar , clean tone , fender strat , paul gilbert , string guitars , vito bratta

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode