Just got my 777PBK - Question on the grip... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Just got my 777PBK - Question on the grip...

Lo all,

Just got my 777PBK I've been hunting for ages!! Hurray

Anyway, can anyone tell me where this fits into the Jem range? I know from the stuff I've found on here that it was only made for two years, and came after the LNG and DY etc. The thing that's confusing me is the different monkey grip. Any ideas why it was different on this model? Apologies if it's on the site somewhere but I really have looked and I can't find it.

(Also, just how rare are these guitars anyway? I'd been looking for ages with no joy)

Thanks in advance
-Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 06:10 PM

Re: Just got my 777PBK - Question on the grip...

probally just another vai experiment
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 07:16 PM

Thats how the monkey grips were before they came out with the shape they have now. Like Vai's old guitars that he got from Performance Guitars, and on the PBK and RB i guess he liked how it looked so he incorporated that into the design. Here are some of em with the larger grips:

http://vai.com/Machines/guitarpages/guitar059.html
http://vai.com/Machines/guitarpages/guitar060.html
http://vai.com/Machines/guitarpages/guitar023.html
http://vai.com/Machines/guitarpages/guitar096.html

oh yeah can you post some pics of her too?
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadSound
Lo all,

Just got my 777PBK I've been hunting for ages!! Hurray

Anyway, can anyone tell me where this fits into the Jem range? I know from the stuff I've found on here that it was only made for two years, and came after the LNG and DY etc. The thing that's confusing me is the different monkey grip. Any ideas why it was different on this model? Apologies if it's on the site somewhere but I really have looked and I can't find it.

(Also, just how rare are these guitars anyway? I'd been looking for ages with no joy)

Thanks in advance
-Bob
Have you visited www.jemsite.com ? there's a lot of the information you're looking for there.

~K
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Just got my 777PBK - Question on the grip...

Quote:
Originally Posted by parker_fly
Thats how the monkey grips were before they came out with the shape they have now. Like Vai's old guitars that he got from Performance Guitars, and on the PBK and RB i guess he liked how it looked so he incorporated that into the design.
Well, that's kind of what's confusing me. Since checking the archives on this site it seems that this model was introduced after the LNG, DY etc why the step backwards? (I'm working from http://www.jemsite.com/axes/htm_features/production.htm btw). I'm really wondering if there is any real reason other than just to be a bit odd or as you suggest harking back to the pre-jem guitars. Looking at the PBK's grip it does look cheaper to route than a "normal" grip; since to my eyes is basically just a hole... To be honest, I find the "normal" grips much nicer than the one on my PBK - it's a bit too angular for my feeble hands (does look cool though).

Main thing to be honest is that I can't find any reference to the change (although parker_fly's does help); it just seems a bit random, even for a Steve Vai guitar...

I guess the real question is why the RB and the PBK, why 2 years in the jem production and why stop with those models? I can have a good guess at it but I can't find any facts anywhere

Thanks again,
-Bob

P.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoe
Have you visited www.jemsite.com ? there's a lot of the information you're looking for there.
Cheers for that Kenny, I'll be sure to check it out...
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 09:02 PM

Quote:
I guess the real question is why the RB and the PBK, why 2 years in the jem production and why stop with those models? I can have a good guess at it but I can't find any facts anywhere
My best guess would be that at the time they didnt sell so well so they stopped making em and maybe they figured they didnt sell so well because of the grip so they stopped making jems with those too... just a guess
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 09:57 PM

Reviews: 3

They were both designed to be lesser expensive models in the line. Discontinued due to poor sales numbers (hence why they can be hard to find). Source: Chesbro reps, 1988 & 1990.
Josh
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 10:15 PM

Congrats man, the 7PBK's always been one of my favorites

maybe its cause when i was a kid, the video for Die To Live was on tv, and it just blew me away...
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 06:59 AM

Pics?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustic1991
They were both designed to be lesser expensive models in the line. Discontinued due to poor sales numbers (hence why they can be hard to find). Source: Chesbro reps, 1988 & 1990.
Josh
Cool, that makes a lot of sense; Thanks!

I'll get some pics up later today I guess.

BTW This might be the my first "keeper" Jem btw. I've had loads but never really hung onto them - I change guitars way too often, especially for someone who is an incredibly poor player

-Bob
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 10:32 AM

Congratulations 'HeadSound'!
I reckon the PBK's are one of the nicest looking Jems that they've made. A real Classy looking guitar.

I'm also in the UK(S.Wales). Did you buy the guitar over here and if you don't mind me asking, did you pay a lot for it? What's the condition of it like?Are you going to post some pictures for everybody to have a look at it?

All the Best...............................JTM45.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTM45
Congratulations 'HeadSound'!
I reckon the PBK's are one of the nicest looking Jems that they've made. A real Classy looking guitar.

I'm also in the UK(S.Wales). Did you buy the guitar over here and if you don't mind me asking, did you pay a lot for it? What's the condition of it like?Are you going to post some pictures for everybody to have a look at it?

All the Best...............................JTM45.
Cheers!!

Just taken some photos but looks like I've only got 5kb to store photos on here. I could reduce the photo to that size but I'm getting left with a dot [.] that isn't much use to anybody. I'm currently busy searching the forums trying to find out what to do.

Anyway, I got this a few days ago from a shop near me in Wakefield (not far from Leeds). let's say I paid a bit too much for it (£1000+ ...)

As I mentioned earlier, I've had Jems and UVs but never been able to hold onto them. Seems I only see the Jems I want when my credit card can't really cope... Anyway, I'm trying my best to juggle my funds so I should be ok. Looks like I'll have to sell my trusty RG550... Ah well.
-Bob
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 10:28 PM

If you need help hosting i can host em for ya no prob.. Just email me at [email protected]
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 10:39 PM

Alrighty heres his new axe! Looks good!

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 01:16 PM

i love the look of those, the Die to Live video with it in was what made me buy an RG1550

Tags
monkey grip , paf pro , paf pros , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode