Just got my First UV!!! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Just got my First UV!!!

Hey everyone!!! *Man am I stoked. *Got my new UV777BK on Saturday and had to join the rest of you. *I made the mistake of borrowing the 7 string video from my buddy, next thing I know I've got one of my own. *What a beautiful instrument, just needs some tweaking here and there to make it perfect. *Sounds like GOD through my Rivera and 4x12 cab. *Let the obsession begin....now I just need the hands to go with it!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 04:25 PM

Just got my First UV!!!

Congrats - If you think you love it now it only gets better. *The chord possibilites are endless. *
Out,
Gregory *
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 06:48 PM

Just got my First UV!!!

I'm having trouble feeling fully excited for you but congrats anyways! lol

A very moneyless, UVless,
Two-Hands
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 06:50 PM

Just got my First UV!!!

Congrats on the UV... wish I had one
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 07:11 PM

Just got my First UV!!!

Welcome to the club! Please be sure to attend meetings regularly and never leave her alone for too long.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 07:59 PM

Just got my First UV!!!

Welcome.

I got mine about 6 weeks ago - I was a bit on the fence at first - I never set out to be a 7-stringer, I just found this particular UV77BK at a good price, very slightly used (I've done more paint damge in my 6 weeks with it than it came with!).

I'm a pro and I played it the night of the day i bought it. *I just played and played for hours that day - it didn't take long to get used to it. *Make sure you get a good setup - Kevan will INSIST you get a good luthier to do it, rather than the schmuck at the local guitar shop. *I still have problems keeping it in tune during times of heavy bar use (never had that problem with my RG)

One thing I will say though is that in the last 10 days or so, I feel like I've really bonded with it. *I've enjoyed playing it since I got it, but something just "clicked"between us and the whole relationship has changed. *The 7th String has just become a natural part of my playing - I don't even think about it anymore. *I've been working especially hard at re-fingering my open D chord and Open C chords to get the low note in there - it's a little easier on the D than the C.

Just be careful when you go back to a 6 string - esp. a non-ibanez...it feels like you're holding a twig!

I picked up an RG-7421 in Sam Ash yesterday - I hadn't tried another model of 7-string since i because proficient on this one - boy did it SUCK. *The salesperson who sold me the UV said "that's how it feels going from a Ferrari to a Plymouth".

I just wish i had it in me to spend the $60 on a different pickguard.

Enjoy!
~Kenny
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 08:28 PM

Just got my First UV!!!

Congrats on the UV man, enjoy it for a good long time!
Jeremy
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 10:21 PM

Just got my First UV!!!

Congrats man, I just plugged in my UV last night after having come back from a long trip to 6 string jem land

Beautiful guitar!

Chris
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 12:23 AM

Just got my First UV!!!

I'm really leaning towards getting a black/white/black pickguard for my UV777. *This plastic mirror is getting cheezy =)

- Steve
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 09:21 AM

Just got my First UV!!!

hey stephen6...

if you wanna sell your pickguard maybe we can work on something

c-ya
gilberto
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Just got my First UV!!!

Thanks for the welcome everyone. *I am having trouble typing because my fingers are so sore, she needs a good set up. *Getting that taken care of tomorrow by a friend who is a very competent tech and JEM afficionado.
Of course, payment will be rendered in the form of his favorite chilled malt beverage.

Thanks again everyone...I look forward to getting to know you.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 10:22 AM

Just got my First UV!!!

Iím glad your friend is Jem friendly. Many techs, though good, donít know about the little trem post set screws and can really mess up the guitar. It took a friend from the forum to inform me about them. Luckily no damage had been done yet.

If I would have taken the time to read the Jemsite setup section more Carefully I wouldnít have had the problem. Shame on me.

Gresh, after my UV was all set up, it was like a different guitar. I think you will be very pleased.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 08:44 AM
Bew

Just got my First UV!!!

Wooohooo! *I just got myself a 90' UV7BK in killer shape from Coby Kurtz. *Came in yesterday. *I am sooooooo tired. * *Anyway, can anyone point me to some good 7-string dedicated tutorial, tab, lesson, etc. sites? *Thanks!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Just got my First UV!!!

Congrats, I know what you mean, I was up until 2 am playing last night.

As I posted before, my buddy help me set mine up and holy cow, what a huge difference. *Before, it felt stiff and a little dissappointing. *Now it is like nothing I have ever played before. *It even plays better than my Parker did, I didn't think anything could get better than that.

Bob you were dead on. *I have never been happier with a guitar. *Now I just need to let the neck settle and get more acquainted.

Congrats on you new addition, is this your first UV? *Do you own any JEMs or other guitars? *What gear are you running it through currently?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 09:43 AM
Bew

Just got my First UV!!!

Quote:
Quote: from Gresh on 9:15 am on Mar. 8, 2001

Congrats on you new addition, is this your first UV? *Do you own any JEMs or other guitars? *What gear are you running it through currently?
Yeah, this is my first UV. *I'm running it through a Yamaha DG-60...a super sweet digital amp. *It does not sound digital at all. *I can go warm to shred very easily. *I'm have Boss DS1, DD5, and CE5 that I use for effects and a Zoom GFX707 for fun. *I also have a Jem 7VW and a JS1000BP. *I'm going to put some more pics on my website.

Tags
beautiful guitar , black pickguard , guitar shop , local guitar shop , sam ash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode