Just got my JEM77BRMR "Bad Horsie" from Rich: Believe the hype. - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Van

Just got my JEM77BRMR "Bad Horsie" from Rich: Believe the hype.

If there's a better shipper of guitars, I'd like to meet him.

If there's a more meticulous set up guy for guitars, I'd like to meet him.

This new "Bad Horsie" arrived with the best packing job I've ever experienced, and I've received an awful lot of guitars via UPS and Fed Ex. Whether it's the double taped bubble wrap on the outside or all the contact points inside the case which Rich protects with taped in foam right on down to securing the case candy so that it can't move around in transit this was one professional packing job.

The guitar arrived without a smudge or scratch anywhere, which is damn near impossible to achieve with a black guitar sporting a mirrored top.

His set up was exactly as described and probably about as good as one could ever hope to get without the luthier actually sitting there and setting it up in front of you after seeing your hands and your attack. The fretwork is phenomenal.

Per Rich's instructions I let the guitar sit for a couple days to let it acclimate to the new envirnoment following a cross country trip. The guitar arrived in tune (!!) and with only a slight amount of fretbuzz on the low E, A and D. Much less fretbuzz though than I'm used to seeing with any brand new guitar that hasn't been set up specifically for my attack.

Finally, today, I did a slight truss rod adjustment to add a bit of relief and now it plays more buzz free than anything I've ever played, and the action is still typical JEM low.

The guitar itself? Yeah, this is the best guitar I've played. The Breeds sound every bit as warm and ballsy in this one as they do in all my other Breeds equipped guitars and this guitar sounds better than my EVos equipped JEM7VWH ever did.

Clearer, warmer, less mud and the three middle positions are actually close enough in volume to positions 1 and 5 that they're completely functional. They sound killer, too. With the 7VWH the middle single coil was so much quieter than the 'buckers, so much so that the three single coil tones were difficult to switch to because of the enormous volume drop.

The notch position tones in particular on this BRMR are brilliant.

"Who buys a JEM to play clean stuff, much less notch position quack tones??"

I did. I play mostly clean blues and yeah, between the warm, fat neck p/up tones and the funky/spanky middle rhythm tone and those chimey notch position tones this thing does a fantastic job of clean blues.

The Volume pot tapers off correctly and the Tone pot isn't one of those deals where there's no discernible roll off difference until you take it all the way down to 2 or whatever. No, they both work correctly. They can be used subtly, for jazzier things.

Kick in some shred distortion though and that's obviously where this guitar is happiest. It absolutely leaves no stone unturned for hard rock/shred. It couldn't play any easier or more consistently all over the neck. It sounds perfect. The balance between the bridge and neck is perfect. Full on biting warmth on the bridge, flip the five switch and there it is, smooth, ballsy darker tone (with no mud) for neck p-up/upper register solos.

I thought I'd miss the "Tree Of Life" fretboard inlay. Nope, I don't. In fact, this guitar has a bit more of a bluesier vibe when I look down at those MOP dots on the rosewood, which, considering what I play, I actually kinda like.

This Rich modded Edge Pro tremolo simply refuses to go out of tune, even a little. It just works. Leave it sitting overnight and then for another half day and then pick it up...it's still in the same state of tune. Hell, none of my guitars can ever manage that, not even my fixed bridge guitars.

Rock solid tuning stability on this one. The bass plate is dead flat and there's no extra slop or freeplay in the bar.

The guitar's light as a feather; noticeably lighter than my 7VWH. Must be the basswood vs alder.

Bottom line, this guitar is flawless for what it is. There's nothing within its basic design parameters that I could point to and say, "Okay, it could've been done better there. This thing could sound better and that thing could play a little easier..."

Nope, it's just an effortless guitar that sounds better to me than any "shred" guitar I've ever heard. I got a good one, and for once I think I finally chose correctly.

Rich just nailed this one. I'll never buy another Ibanez from anybody else. I just wish the Timmons model had a recessed route for its Wilky as that'd be my perfect next guitar.

In fact, I just wish Rich did his thing with new Gibsons and Fenders too. Dude could make a mint sorting out all those Gibbies and Fenders that are sold with such hideous set ups. I know he'd get my business, withut a doubt.

Anyway, yeah, all the hype about getting your new Ibanez from Rich was dead nuts correct. Couldn't be happier.

Thanks, Ibanez, for offering us such an amazing guitar and thanks, Rich, for offering us such a great deal on such a unique and professional service. Every maker should have a guy like you to get their stuff right...Great job, dude.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 10:06 PM

Re: Just got my JEM77BRMR "Bad Horsie" from Rich: Believe the hype.

Congratz!!! And awesome review too
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 10:07 PM
rya

nice score, i prefer the JEM7VWH, but BRMR still rocks. post pics!!
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 10:13 PM
Vendor

I guess you got it?

Did you see what I meant about the open D buzz? Or did it go away with a little extra relief? I did unpack that after I second guessed [after your email reply] and IMO it would have been a crime to raise it any more than it was.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Van

rya, it's just a bone stock 77BRMR. It looks exactly like every other one. Normally I only bother to get pics taken of my custom stuff, since they're unique.

Hey, actually, there is one tiny little detail I noticed on this guitar. Rich strings 'em up differently than I've ever seen it done before. He strings the ball end of the string up through the tuning peg, rather than clipping it off and starting from the bridge.

Like I said, I've never seen it done that way before but now that I have I gotta admit I think I prefer it Rich's way...especially with D'Adarrio's multi colored ball ends!

:-)

Last edited by Van; 09-17-2006 at 10:28 PM.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 10:19 PM
Vendor

You've never had a toddler or your wife puncture a finger on your cut strings ends?

Zero slippage, looks cool, very safe. Can't think of any reason to change.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Van

Rich, nah, I really didn't notice any open D buzz but the D definitely has the most buzz of any of the strings. It's fine now though, after adding just a c-hair of relief. I just spent a couple of hours playing nothing but the notch positions through my Fender Twin. That's the ewasiest way for me to test for fret buzz.

Initially, yeah, it had more than I could take, at least once I really got to bangin' hard with the attack. With that little bit of relief added (the fretboard was basically dead flat with maybe even the slighest visible hump around the 3rd fret) I have a tiny little visible dip between 7 and 14 but it's still flatter than I can manage (without buzz) on anything else I've owned.

It's now as perfect as my Fred Flinstone attack can manage.

Also, like you said, you don't hear dick in terms of fretbuzz if you're using distortion. With distortion I easily could've left the truss rod alone.

The one obvious thing I noticed about your set up (besides the overall excellence) was the action on the first few frets. Holy crap but the strings are barely clearing the frets down there. Like you say, it's a "good, low rock set up".

My guess then is that since it looked so low to me most other manufacturer's must set their guitars up with the nuts being significantly higher.

I'm with you here though in that if I can get away with the nut being that low why on earth would I want it any higher??

Dude, playing your guitar, especially with distortion, it really feels like cheating. Slap a compressor on top of the Fender's clean tone and it still feels like cheating. Fast runs aren't REALLY supposed to be that easy, are they??
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
You've never had a toddler or your wife puncture a finger on your cut strings ends?

Zero slippage, looks cool, very safe. Can't think of any reason to change.
I'm no toddler but I've certainly Steve Irwin'd myself numerous times with cut ball end strings and exposed string ends sticking out from the tuners...

No, I agree, I can't think of any reason either not to do it your way. It's gotta be quicker and easier that way and how much more secure and stable could it get than having the ball end locked against the tuning tree?

Too bad I can't also do it that way with my string through body fixed bridge guitars. Dammit. You need to invent such a string, pronto.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 10:32 PM
Vendor

If you were fighting it you wouldn't be too happy

The frets cut perfect though. Most Jems you'll get some roll off in the scallops, but you shouldn't see anything visible but smooth relief nut to 24. It went out at about .3mm in relief at the 9th so more than likely it just straightened out aclimating.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Van

Rich, one question...

This 77BRMR neck, vs the one on my old '94 7VWH...

Specifically, the neck/headstock joint and the five piece/thin sliver walnut laminating process...

Compared to other JEMs I'm used to the neck joint by the headstock looks different on this one. Also, these new JEMs have these two super slim slivers of walnut pressed between three larger pieces of maple. I'm used to a big hunk of walnut on a DNA model but if I'm remembering correctly my '94 7VWH either had no walnut stripes at all or it had a much more prominent single skunk stripe.

What's your opinion on this new construction method? Was this new neck/headstock joint a step backwards and nothing but a cost cutting measure, or is it actually superior and that's why Ibanez went to this new construction method?

Or, is it just different but no better and no worse?
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 10:43 PM
Vendor

VWH was always just a one piece [plus head] scarf joint.

IMO the new necks are a step in the right direction. The volute adds strength and mass [and just plain feels good] behind the nut, and the lam necks mean there won't be any scarf-joint-itis down the road.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Van

Well ****e howdy then, I'm liking this new bastich more and more!

(Btw, being new here, what's the etiquette 'round these parts regarding cussing? Yay, nay? Don't wanna step on any administrative toes if I can help it.)

(Edit: Bwaaahaaa!! Automated program using stars in place of the letters s..h...i...t...Guess that answers that then, eh? Man, and I had so many colorful bon mottes I was just itchin' to drop on y'all...)
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 11:01 PM
Vendor

The cuss filter will be your savior
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 11:28 PM

Rich does do fantastic work, congrats on the Jem.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 07:35 AM

Congrats on your new jem and I too agree with your assessment of the BRMR vs VWH...I feel the same way about mine ( I don't miss the vine either and love the breeds). Though I have mine set up pretty well, I wish I would've been able to get mine from Rich ( I needed a payment plan ). Someday I hope to purchase from Rich. I just had a baby girl (well my wife did), so it may be awhile. Anyhoo enjoy your new BRMR !

Tags
bridge position , clean tone , edge pro trem , edge pro tremolo , equipped guitar , fender twin , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , fixed bridge guitars , fret buzz , neck joint , pro tremolo , rod adjustment , scarf joint , truss rod , truss rod adjustment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode