Just GOT my new JEM7VWH, impressions and questions... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Just GOT my new JEM7VWH, impressions and question (PICS OF FLAW ON PICK GUARD)...

I just picked up my new Jem from Fall River Music here in Colorado Springs ($1500) this evening, and I just have to say WOW! It is really an impressive guitar, I am amazed at how well it stays in tune when the trem is used.....never had a guitar do this well.

I do have a couple questions:

My pick guard seems 'cloudy' in a few places, and from pictures I have seen of other Jems, I have never noticed this before. Anyone else had this problem?
Also, I bought the dimarzio cliplok strap....any hints on installing that?? Did you have to re-tap the holes or did the chrome screws work just fine?

Last edited by Falcon Wing; 02-09-2005 at 09:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 01:52 AM

Re: Just GOT my new JEM7VWH, impressions and questions...

i had to put match sticks in the holes to make the screws bite more
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 02:05 AM

The chrome ones are to be used for guitars as the Strat while the black ones are perfect for Ibanez ones. Therefore I did use the blacks and fit perfectly.

Regarding the "cloudy" picjguard.... no idea. Pics Please.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 08:50 AM

have you taken off the plastic wrap?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Yes I did take off the plastic...that is what I thought it was at first too...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Wing
I just picked up my new Jem from Fall River Music here in Colorado Springs ($1500) this evening, and I just have to say WOW! It is really an impressive guitar, I am amazed at how well it stays in tune when the trem is used.....never had a guitar do this well.

I do have a couple questions:

My pick guard seems 'cloudy' in a few places, and from pictures I have seen of other Jems, I have never noticed this before. Anyone else had this problem?
Also, I bought the dimarzio cliplok strap....any hints on installing that?? Did you have to re-tap the holes or did the chrome screws work just fine?

I use the same screws and even the stock strap peg/button that come on it.
I take a HOT soldering iron and widen the hole big enough so that it can slip over the SMALL end of the stock strap button.
When doing this I have to clip off the burnt plastic around the edges to make it easier to widen and also so it don't look like crap.
I slip it onto the strap button (small end of course, you don't want it too big so it falls off, that would be pointless)and then screw the button back into place.
I started doing this when I got my VWH. I thought those gold buttons are too nice to just take off and put away. They deserve to be on the guitar so I got out my soldering iron and id what i just described, and have done it for every guitar I have w/ dimarzio clip locks.
This way you get to keep the original buttons on the guitar(looks better in my opinion) and you don't have to worry about toothpicks using the small screws or in some cases having to use the larger screws and crack your finish.
If i knew how to post pics i would show you.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Question Re: Just GOT my new JEM7VWH, impressions and questions...

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...93&uid=2838895

Pictures of the "clouding" in the pick guard. It looks like someone spilled milk on those spots.

Is that how it should look??
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 09:08 PM

Looks like just a defect peice of pearloid... prolly came from the factory that way
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 09:37 PM

Reviews: 3

Like Parker_fly said, a flaw in the material (pearloid) used to make the pickguard. I've seen this before several times.
Josh
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Would you have it replaced?

Tags
dimarzio clip lock , strap button

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode