Just Got new Ibanez JEM 77VBK Few Questions Comments - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Just Got new Ibanez JEM 77VBK Few Questions Comments

I got my New 2008 Ibanez JEM 77VBK and just was playing it today. I also have an Ernie Ball Music Man LUKE with a Floyd and EMG's the Purplish Red one. Approx. 1998.

I am playing out of my Mesa DC3 1x12 combo W V/30.

The guitar is beautiful and plays great. I am not used to the stock .009's (feel thin) so I might switch back to .010's to beef it up a Bit. The Po's on the 77V BK are Breeds as compared to EVO's on the White JEM 7VWH . I have played a 7VWH at GC but not A/B'd the two side by side, but loved the way the white one sang at guitar center but I was playing through a Bogner line 6 with delay and it had a lot of sustain on the amp.

The pickups don't seem as HOT as I would like. Example Pinch Harmonics on the Low E are hard to get as compared the my ErnieBall with EMG's that just nails them out pretty easily and I am a clean player with a lot of control and can always hit a AH when I want, but using the JEM it is harder and again could be a combination of the PU & the AMP.

Now of course the EMG is an Active PU. I wonder if the EVOs are that much hotter, i.e.. easier to get AH's.

Also I am not sure if it is worth it $$ (or how easy it is) to switch to the EVO's to get the same sound and a little more UMP!??? The other guy on here LynchFan I see has BOTH JEMS (White and Black) and says his 77VBK/Black one is basically the same, but slightly less hot, so maybe I am going crazy?

Also the whammy bar works well, but the bar falls down out of the way after you release it (which some like I am sure) but I like to have it be tighter and stay horizontal and not just fall down so easily. I am sure you can adjust this or put something around the bars end to fatten it up. The Bar sticks out a lot more (kind of has a V shape) as compared to my EB LUKE which has a Floyd and the bar is pretty straight and flat.

The JEM does play great. I had it shipped so I just to make sure all is in order I am going to pay $50 to get a set up to get everything perfect at Charlie's Guitar Shop in Dallas (pretty reputable guy) and I think that will be the icing on the cake.

Also does PU Height have a lot to do with the Po's aggressiveness? I notice my PU is pretty far from the strings so maybe that is why it isn't as HOT?

Well I do love this guitar and it is really Sharp Looking. I may be ready to get another one soon..............

Anyone else have this guitar want to chime in on your opinions or anything you have done to make it even better than it already is.............

Plastic wasn't off yet that is why the chrome looks Dull!

Tex

Last edited by TexasAxeSlinger; 09-27-2008 at 09:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 08:48 PM

Re: Just Got new Ibanez JEM 77VBK Few Questions Comments

The Evo's are very rich in harmonics which is what gives them that singing sound. I have mine dropped low so that they aren't as hot but they still have that same screaming quality because of the thick low-mids and tons of upper-midrange harmonics.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 09:22 PM

Reviews: 2

Hi....you shouldn't be having trouble nailing pinch harmonics with those breeds! They are not the same
as EVo"s ,,,but they should still sing really nice. Try raising the pickup. I bet that will help. ANd for the
bar,,,make sure both of those little white rings are on it. I had to take one off, as I like the bar to swing
freely. With them both on, that bar should stay put. Hey, did you resolve that crack in the mirror
pickguard ?

Last edited by lynchfan6; 09-27-2008 at 09:33 PM.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 09:28 PM

Reviews: 2

I don't imagine switching pickups would be hard if you just have to have those Evo's in this guitar. Those breeds
would sell very fast, I would imagine.....and buying some black Evo's shouldn't be hard.

Last edited by lynchfan6; 09-27-2008 at 09:44 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Yeah I haven't had much time to mess with the guitar at all since I have been really busy the last several weeks and had people in town.

The crack in the pickguard is really small, barely noticeable except to me. I will get a new one eventually, but for now all is fine and as long as I know it CAN be fixed that makes me feel better.

Again the DC-3 I have is definately not a hard core amp. I mean I played the Flextone III 2x12 paired with my Jem and it had plenty of Oomph, but I do liek a Hot pick up.

It is a combination between amp, pick ups and player.

Thanks for the replies and I remeber it DID come with an extra white ring (now I see that is for the whammy bar).

Jems sure are nice!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

I just looked up EVO's and they were $69.00-$80.00 depending on which one it takes No Big Deal. I need to see what is the hottest and what is stock in the white one.

I do like articulation and not just a bunch of FUZZ so I am sure the Breed is fine, but it definately is noticeable as not quite as HOT. It even says below harmonics are EASY to get. LOL I am the King of Pinch Harmonics (LOL) and do them all the time, so it isn't liek I hit them 1 in 10 times I try. Also they are easy to hit on the G string for example, but the Low E was harder???

1. EVO 2 Bridge DP215-The original Evolution® bridge model did exactly what Steve Vai wanted it to do: kick butt and produce serious scream. Now he wants something a little more complex-the same basic tone with increased headroom and dynamics, so that the sound kills on 10 and cleans up when the volume is rolled down. With a little less power than the original Evolution®, Evo 2™ balances perfectly with the Evolution® neck model and performs equally well with high gain and vintage amps.

2. EVO Bridge DP159-The Evolution® neck and bridge humbuckers are the result of two years of research to come up with the right sound for a very demanding player: Steve Vai and his Ibanez® Jems. Both pickups are designed for maximum impact and power. The neck pickup is fat, punchy and loud. The bridge pickup is tight, aggressive and louder. Both pickups have our patented dual-resonance configuration to reproduce more harmonic overtones than conventional humbuckers. Evolution® pickups are not polite-sounding, and they're not for the inexperienced, but-if you've got the chops and a hot amp-your sound will burn. The Evolution® pickups were originally designed with live gigs in mind, but they have so much presence and definition that they're great recording pickups, too; they slice right through even the densest mix.

3. Breed DP166 (What it has in it): If you've seen Steve Vai play in the last few years, you may have seen him playing an Ibanez® Jem guitar with the word "Pogo" taped on the face. Steve wanted one of his instruments to have a fat, classic humbucker sound to contrast with the hotter, screaming Evolution®-equipped guitars. These are the pickups we developed for him. The neck pickup is a bit louder and fatter-sounding than the PAF Pro® pickups that Steve used on his earliest Jems. The bridge pickup is not as hot as the Evolution®, but it's got a warm and punchy mid-range coupled with a fat low end that rolls off before it can get muddy. Harmonics are easy to get, and the 4-conductor wiring coil enables cool "notch tone" coil-splitting.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 08:20 AM

Reviews: 3

I had a 555 (basswood + evos) as my first jem. The next was a 7DBK (basswood + breeds) and felt a little bit dissapointed at first due to the lower output of the breeds than the evos, so my initial reaction was to change them. After meditation I gave the breeds an oportunity and they still being in the guitar. Buy a 7VWH/90HAM/7BSB/10HAM and you will have a pair of grat guitars with different PU´s.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

I appreciate it and really haven't played the guitar enough to give them a chance and I also have a processor type amp that is digital that I am sure it will sing on that one for sure and nail the harmonics.

Let me clarify, when I hit a aggressive (AH) yesterday (using my Mesa DC3 amp) even when I would hit the AH, the resulting Scream wasn't really strong, you know when you play on a clean type of amp and hit an AH, you still hit it but it doesn't just sustain and jump out of the guitar like say on a Procossed Type amp, for example a Line 6 Bogner Type Amp like I was playing on at Guitar Center. Those are not the best amp, but the "Zack Wylde" Type Artifical Harmonics just fly out of those types of amps. Now if I was Playing MY JEM on those same amps I am SURE it would do the same thing, but still not as much as the EVO because it isn't an EVO.

I will give the Pick Ups a try, but I have learned if you do try, and still get the same result, you ultimately shouldn't have to try to make yourself like something so hard, if you are trying too hard, then it is time to make the change.

Heck changing a pickup is a pretty easy fix. I mean I LOVED the way the JEM 7VWH (White one) PLAYED and SOUNDED. That was NEVER my issue or reason for going with the black and the Different breed Pick Up. The only reason I got his JEM77VBK was because I didn't love the GOLD HARDWARE and the black looked really cool, classy, and mean.

Thanks,

Tex
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 02:46 PM

well your jem with evos wont sound like a 7vwh because your guitar´s body is made of basswood, and the 7vwh is made of alder, have you tried a 7vwh in your amp? maybe the pups are not the problem
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Well good news. I just found a Bogner Ecstasy 101B Head and will be getting a 2 x12 Cabinet with some V30's because I will be playing indoors. I am so happy. I sold a Bogner in 2004ish.... and never thought I would be able to afford another, but out with the old and in with the new.

I sold my Flextone III 2 x12 last week and will sell the DC-3 which is a Great Versatile Amp in its own right. I think the Bogner will help out in terms of the amp having a littl emore B#$%^&. Also I know the Wood is different, but the EVO's will still be hotter so I will just wait and play the Guitar out of my New rig and go from there.

I am not tied to anything. If I like the breeds in my new set up, great, if not I Might look at getting a different Pick Up.

Is the wiring the same for those 2 Pickups? I mean is it an easy swap for any experienced tech?

Thanks
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAxeSlinger View Post
Well good news. I just found a Bogner Ecstasy 101B Head and will be getting a 2 x12 Cabinet with some V30's because I will be playing indoors. I am so happy. I sold a Bogner in 2004ish.... and never thought I would be able to afford another, but out with the old and in with the new.

I sold my Flextone III 2 x12 last week and will sell the DC-3 which is a Great Versatile Amp in its own right. I think the Bogner will help out in terms of the amp having a littl emore B#$%^&. Also I know the Wood is different, but the EVO's will still be hotter so I will just wait and play the Guitar out of my New rig and go from there.

I am not tied to anything. If I like the breeds in my new set up, great, if not I Might look at getting a different Pick Up.

Is the wiring the same for those 2 Pickups? I mean is it an easy swap for any experienced tech?

Thanks
Any pickup as long as it has 4 conductor wiring is basically the same as long as you know the colour code for the wiring.
I just re-wired my UV myself using a combination of DiMarzio & Rio Grande pickups (In fact I didn't even know the wiring colours for the Rio Grande's as they were on the Guitar when I bought it wired to a sustainiac so I found out by trial & error!)

So If I can do it I'm sure any Tech could.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode