is it just me... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

is it just me...

I like the idea of being able to goto a guitar shop now and get a brand new 77GMC, PMC, BFP, FP whatever, but i think the old ones play better, there is some air of quality about a high quality prestige guitar, made in the 80s. some of the new 2002 models come with the worst setups ive ever seen (i tried a 7VWH in a shop and the thing felt aweful, which is a terrible thing cause a well setup 7vwh is a great axe) and they just dont feel as good to play as the old 1988s all acces joint or not... or maybe thats just me.

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 03:59 PM

I think the shop could be to blame as much as anything else. If a shop doesn't keep their stuff setup, then yep it'll play like crap. Mostly these ppl stand around all day doing nothing, they could take the time to make sure each guitar isn't setup horribly. Thats my experience anyway. Setup is always subjective any, I usually always have to tweak any setup atleast a little no matter how good it is.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 04:10 PM

I have found this with just about every Ibanez guitar from the RG500 series on up the scale.

The edge is about the finnikiest trem in life. It doesn't tolerate being off a micro-iota. Dead-nuts & play like a dream or off-center and play like a Kramer.

Most music store employees have never set up a guitar, let alone know how a well setup guitar should feel.

As for your comment about the older JEMs playing better, you'll have a lot of company here. I love the beefy sound I get from my FP, but love the silky playability of my AANJ RG..

You should have both in your arsenal.
We all should have both in our arsenal.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimm VeuCasovic
You should have both in your arsenal.
We all should have both in our arsenal.
AMEN
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

sounds like a plan

~Well, sounds like a damn good plan to me , i got a UV777BK with an all access....silky....mmmm... but i also got a good old 77FP and i love it so... which jems have all access joints? im im the process of getting another jem77 cause i love em so much and i always wanted a BFP but couldnt find one, no all acces joint though...looks like im gonna have to buy two new jems now....

Rob
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 07:04 PM

JEMs with AANJ:

1. JEM7-VWH
2. JEM7- VSBL
3. JEM7D-BK

That's all folks.

The rest are block joints
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 07:10 PM
Vendor

*ahem*

10th
BSB
90th
DNA

*/ahem*
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 11:21 PM

Oh yeah....those!!!

m'bad
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

thanks guys

Yeah ill just pop down to the local Kmart and get myself a Jem2k and a 90th...mere pocket change...

So, plan B... i think id go for the DBK...but the neck is ugly..

Rob
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimm VeuCasovic
Most music store employees have never set up a guitar, let alone know how a well setup guitar should feel.
That may be the reason to buy guitars from certain people with swirled banners on this site (- - - - - - - - - - your support of jemsite/forum sponsors helps keep the site alive - - - - - - - - - - )
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

good point

Sounds like a plan, but since i like in the UK, i have to pay disturbingly large amounts of import tax
So i just skulk around on ebay looking for bargains... I wish the new jems were a bit more exciting, the 7V is a great player, but i will not spend 1000pounds on a white and gold guitar, and as for the blue thing...what makes it better than a WH? they charge more, and all i can see is a cheaper fretboard and pickgaurd. IMHO if you want a blue vine...The BFP is one of the most beatiful guitars ever. DK published a book on everything about guitar, its pretty comprehensive...everything from early lute players to Van halen, to steve vai. Focuses on the instruments alot aswell as the players...and the Jem is in there, the example used, a nice glossy photo of the BFP

Rob
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Most music store employees have never set up a guitar, nor should they be allowed to There's a reason most sales floor guys are sales floor guys.

I'm not sure what age does to a guitar, but my main players, both RGs at the moment, are both over 10 years old.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 11:25 AM

I agree. I prefer the older-style Jem necks. Especially for the finish on the backs of them.

As for the set-ups. I usually do something different, anyway, so as long as the guitar isn't warped and everything works-I'm cool with a not-so-great out-of-box set-up.

As a former 5+ year employee of a major music store chain, I've seen some sad stuff, like guys who've been playing longer than I've been alive and don't know what a set-up is or bring their guitars in to be set-up or checked out every several years or so rather than seasonal or (at least) semi-annually as it should be. The bigger corporations are getting lesser-experienced guys that aren't knowledgeable enough to manage and sell the inventory who will accept a smaller paycheck than someone old enough who has much more experience. The result is a lack of awareness and guitars that don't sell quick enough and become neglected.

Then, there's the fact that a large music store will most likely have a stock of guitars on display which is too large for the staff of sales people and the tech(s) to constantly tend to. I was in one of the smaller stores in the chain and I counted 417 guitars on display, once. We had one tech with an occasional assistant and there was only a few of us most of the time in the sales dep't. I know a couple of others and I knew set-ups but quite often, others didn't.

It's a double-edged sword: the smaller stores will usually have higher prices, smaller selction on-hand, but better conditioned merchandise while the bigger stores have lower prices, a bigger selection on-hand, and plenty of merchandise in need of medical attention.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 01:53 PM

I prefer old jems and RGs too. A friend (he´s a luthier) told me that all japanese ibanezes made between ´85 and ´92 are the best you can buy. Said the quality was impressive. The reason is that ibanez wasn´t as important as now and the making process was very careful. Ibanez became bigger and top-seller so they needed to build faster, and the quality fell. People noticed that and the sales weren´t that good then and around ´97 they tried to improve again the quality. They did but still is not as brilliant as it was.
That´s what i was told, do you know anything about this?

Tags
guitar shop , jem neck , music store , prestige guitar , steve vai , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode