Just ordered a new "Bad Horsie" JEM from Rich... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Van

Just ordered a new "Bad Horsie" JEM from Rich...

..and I have some simple questions. (I've bugged Rich so much the past few days with so many questions that now that I've actually ordered up the guitar from him I just don't have the heart to keep bugging him with these extra questions...)

-Anything in particular I should know about cleaning that mirrored finish? Are we talking Windex and a soft cloth, or what?

-Reading about the "Chrome Boy" Satriani models it seems that there's no way around it, that finish will eventually wear off something fierce from the top of the guitar beneath the player's forearm. Should I anticipate the same thing happening with this mirrored finish or is this a completely different (and permanent) type of finish?

-I'm not familiar with the Ibanez serial # system. I know that with a Gibson you take the first and fifth digits and combine them to get your model year. How does one tell the model year of any Ibanez from its serial #?

-Is the middle p/up in the 77MRBR the exact same p/up as the middle p/up in a 7VWH, or is it a different p/up? On the 7VWH it really doesn't matter whether it's the middle single coil by itself or either of the notch positions, those tones are going to have WAY less volume than positions 1 and 5. This isn't the case with all H-S-H guitars though (such as any Carvin with bridge and neck 'buckers and a middle AP11R) and I've never actually played a 77BRMR so maybe the "Bad Horsie" differs in this regard from the 7VWH? I hope so. As much as I loved the EVOs in my 7VWH I love the Breeds in the "Bad Horsie" even more so that's why I grabbed the 77BRMR this time. No idea what to expect though about that middle p/up...

-Why do the six string 7VWH and the 77BRMR guitars include the "7"s in their names? What's that about? Shouldn't the Universe seven strings models be the "7"s?

That's it for now with the questions.

Anyway,this is my first post here. Though I previously owned a very good condition '94 JEM7VWH this will be my first brand new Ibanez. I've pretty much been going with nothing but Fender/Carvin/Gibson and even a little Warmoth in terms of all my new guitar purchases. The reason I switched gears and pulled the trigger on this new JEM is simple: I want that consistent low action/fret buzz free playability that so far I've only found on JEMs.

Great build quality, great playability and really great tone, especially with the Breeds. Hell, even the resale value is well above average with the JEMs so I don't feel like I'm risking losing a ton if ever I need to off a JEM. I'm no tremolo dive bomber but the playability of the JEM is so good that I finally decided I was willing to overlook that frustrating Edge Pro bridge and the locking nut, both of which I really don't need.

Somehow though, I think I'll manage to suffer through...

The main thing that did it for me, the main thing that motivated me to pay over $2K for a floating bridge/locking nut "80s Metal" image guitar that isn't even a custom built fixed bridge mahagony guitar with a beautiful figured maple or flamed koa top?

Our boy here, Rich. That's the main reason for this purchase. I wanted to quit screwing around and simply get something that's going to play correctly, right out of the box. I didn't want to have to turn it over to some luthier or another after I've already bought it just to get the usual crappy factory set up sorted out to a satisfactory condition.

I also didn't want to pay the custom shop prices of PRS, Gibson or Fender.

A brand new 16" radius JEM, with Breeds, set up particularly well from top to bottom BEFORE I RECEIVE IT by a professional who not plays the things every day but who also takes pride in delivering to the customer a meticulously sorted out instrument?

THAT ought to be one slick playing guitar, right from the start.

As far as I'm aware, this is a unique situation we have here with Rich's set up on top shelf Ibanez guitars. I don't know of anything else in the industry that's quite like this deal.

I'm there. In fact, I can also picture in the not too distant future an "Ibanez Rules" spec AT300 Andy Timmons and/or a JSM100VT John Scofield model showing up on my doorstep. I'm thinking I could easily get addicted to this whole "turn key killer guitars" concept...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 11:50 AM

Re: Just ordered a new "Bad Horsie" JEM from Rich...

Congrats. Rich is the man, you'll love it when you get it.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 11:53 AM

Yes! Congratz indeed!
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 12:02 PM

the mirrored finish is underneath a clearcoat. so the mirror finish will not get damaged like a chromeboy. any ding you would get with the bad horsie would appear as if it was on a painted guitar.

the first two digits after the F in the serial number denote the year. so F97xxxx is a 1997 model guitar.

right now, i don't know if the single coil is different or not, so someone else is going to have to help you there.

and the last questions, about the seven. 7 is steve vai's favorite number, so for his signature guitar, he wanted the categories broken up into 7, 77, and 777. there is a story about it here on jemsite somewhere that may be worth reading.

i hope i was helpful!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 12:27 PM

- Wow! That was quote the post. Better save them fingers for playing your new baby

Well cool....you given me an excuse to show off mine Just get her from Rich a couple months ago. And yes! He IS the man! He set mine up brilliantly and went to great lengths to help me out with this little project.

As far as cleaning, I just wipe it down after each session with a microfiber cloth. I don't use windex or anything like that. Just every now and then I'll some polish on it, but not too often.

Seems to me after owning mine for a couple months that the finish is pretty durable. Still no scratches othet than a coule little marks in the pickguard. Not scratches, but little marks which are only visible at certain angles upon close inspection.

I own several Jems. (FP's/BFP/VSBL/VWH) This one has the best tone of all of them. I really love the Breeds. Very sweet pups! So to answer another one of your questions, no, the middle pups (nor any of them) are the same as the vwh. The vwh has EVO's.

I really like the neck too. It's a bit thinner, though not as thin as a wizard. I've hardly touched any of my other Jems since I got my Vrmr. It's am amazing guitar.

Congrats on your purchase. I'll think you'll be quite happy with it. Especially because you get the infamous Rich setup

I've heard a LOT of people whine and b*tch about these guitars. Obviously, they have never had one because they are brilliant guitars.

And no, they don't come stock with the vine

And lastly (sorry, gotta do it)

Tick-tock-tick-tock-tick-tock
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 12:36 PM
smc

That chrome jem is badass It should come with that vine from the factory!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 01:01 PM

Thanks I'm quite proud of her!

As yes, your right.....it should have come that way. Or with chrome pyramids. I think the mr run would have been much more successful with the option of either the vine or the pyramids from the factory! (dreamer )

Ibanez marketing

Last edited by JJEMMER777; 08-28-2006 at 01:50 PM.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 01:42 PM

Chrome pyramids would be the ultimate on that guitar.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van View Post
Our boy here, Rich. That's the main reason for this purchase. I wanted to quit screwing around and simply get something that's going to play correctly, right out of the box. I didn't want to have to turn it over to some luthier or another after I've already bought it just to get the usual crappy factory set up sorted out to a satisfactory condition.
Good choice man. I bought my first Ibanez (JEM7vwh) from Rich about a month ago and it's the best playing guitar I've ever had - and I've played alot of guitars since 1982. Rich didn't make Ibanez - he makes them BETTER! No BS. I'm looking forward to another one, hopefully from Rich, in the future. I may wind up in divorce court though, the wife just doesn't understand!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 02:28 PM

Trust good ol' Jim to find another opportunity to whip out a pic that says "you lot are not worthy to be in my prescence"!!

I suppose theres no point offering a good home for those poor NEGLECTED fp's still though (polite answers please,mods have to set examples )

I bet you have to keep stopping playing that gorgeous vrmr to wipe all the drool off!!

Congratz Van on your new baby too
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777 View Post

So when are you gonna slap some chrome pickups in that thing? I mean, if your gonna go Bling, you might as well go all out, right?
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 04:03 PM

I played one a couple months ago through a JCM800 that sitting around (with a 1960A Flat 4x12 cab) the playabilty was VERY NICE, I gotta say.

It looks gorgous as well and the Breeds are killer at low end sounds haha..
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
So when are you gonna slap some chrome pickups in that thing? I mean, if your gonna go Bling, you might as well go all out, right?

I like the black pups Lefty.

I think it's a better color balance with the black headstock. I may get a chrome truss cover, but that'll be it

Sorry to encroach on your thread Van..................

tick tock tick tock
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 05:05 PM

Yeah, congratz Van, you'll be very happy with this decision
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flobanez View Post
Congrats. Rich is the man, you'll love it when you get it.
+1 and congrats .

Regards

André

Tags
andy timmons , black headstock , chrome boy , chrome jem , custom shop , edge pro bridge , fixed bridge , fret buzz , ibanez guitars , john scofield , killer guitar , locking nut , monkey grip , playing guitar , signature guitar , steve vai , truss cover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode