Just Received! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Just Received!

I am brand new to jemsite.com and thought I would add my two cents worth...

Arriving on my doorstep (and on my birthday!!!) today, FedEX delivered my brand new UV777 guitar.

When I came to, I thanked GOD that it was NOT a dream...

Looking forward to the future on jemsite.com!

Cheeers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 03:40 PM

Re: Just Received!

Sweet and welcome! And, um, if it's a 2005 model, please post pics especially of the back of the neck.

Brian
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 03:48 PM

Nothing like the feeling of a brand spankin new guitar! Congrats!
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 06:04 PM

Definately congratz and have fun with it and another welcome.

Regards

André

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 06:12 PM

Congrats bro and welcome!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 08:59 PM

Congratz dude...

and happy birthday

welcome aboard
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the warm welcome!

It will be a little bit for me to get the pictures...still using a regular film camera.

Not too sure if the UV is 2005 but the back of the neck is different than the one in the jemsite.com photo. Mine has two pieces of darker wood added in an odd/even dark to light combo that run the length of the neck to the headstock.

Also on the side of the D tuning key on the headstock there is a dark patch of wood - which is the continuation of the above described wood line.

Tomorrow I teach myself how to do my own set up (I did not care for the lighter gauge strings that came with it).

So the jemsite.com tutorials will be of major help.

Thank you to those that posted the invaluable info!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 10:03 PM

like this?

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 07:22 AM

Congrats, welcome, and (In my best Frosty the Snowman voice) HAPPY BOITHDAY!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by parker_fly
like this?

Similar but the dark wood on my guitar is much thicker.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muursound
Similar but the dark wood on my guitar is much thicker.
Yeah, the new 7-String necks have thicker 'wenge' (i think) strips that look about 1/8th of an inch wide. I haven't seen one of the '05 UV's with one yet but there is a recent post about someone getting their new 1527RB somewhere on the site and that has the same neck construction (there are some great pics of the neck too!).

I think the thin strips on the 6-string necks are Ebony. To me the thicker ones on the 7-strings seem like they would do a lot more for the necks stability than those wafer-thin ones on the 6-string necks. It's difficult to say whether they've actually added them for any practical or purposeful reason or whether it's just a cosmetic thing (cause they do look very nice,especially the thicker ones) to make them more marketable. I'ts probably the biggest difference about most of the '05 models ( the RG15**'s and the UV/VWH's).
JTM45.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTM45
Yeah, the new 7-String necks have thicker 'wenge' (i think) strips that look about 1/8th of an inch wide. I haven't seen one of the '05 UV's with one yet but there is a recent post about someone getting their new 1527RB somewhere on the site and that has the same neck construction (there are some great pics of the neck too!).

I think the thin strips on the 6-string necks are Ebony. To me the thicker ones on the 7-strings seem like they would do a lot more for the necks stability than those wafer-thin ones on the 6-string necks. It's difficult to say whether they've actually added them for any practical or purposeful reason or whether it's just a cosmetic thing (cause they do look very nice,especially the thicker ones) to make them more marketable. I'ts probably the biggest difference about most of the '05 models ( the RG15**'s and the UV/VWH's).
JTM45.
Thanks for the info! I have always been fascinated by the morphing of instruments over time.

I will try to get the pictures up in the coming week.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 11:55 AM

No problem 'muursound'!
Glad I could be of some help to you. I found that picture of the neck on that guys new 1527 7-string (hope you don't mind me using your picture 'Godisme') and I'm presuming it's the same construction as the one on your new UV. Here's the pic:-

Is that like yours to look at? I would think that the two necks are a different shape and there's probably a bit more work done on the UV neck, but I don't know that for sure.

Have you owned a 7-string before the UV or not? I just bought a used RG2027 7-string which has the Piezo-equipped 'Double-Edge' trem on it. I haven't actually got it yet but it's paid for and should be with me early next week.
How did you find the change from 6 to 7-string? Was it easy enough to get used to? I can't wait to get mine. I've wanted one for so long!
JTM45.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTM45
No problem 'muursound'!
Glad I could be of some help to you. I found that picture of the neck on that guys new 1527 7-string (hope you don't mind me using your picture 'Godisme') and I'm presuming it's the same construction as the one on your new UV. Here's the pic:-

Is that like yours to look at? I would think that the two necks are a different shape and there's probably a bit more work done on the UV neck, but I don't know that for sure.

Have you owned a 7-string before the UV or not? I just bought a used RG2027 7-string which has the Piezo-equipped 'Double-Edge' trem on it. I haven't actually got it yet but it's paid for and should be with me early next week.
How did you find the change from 6 to 7-string? Was it easy enough to get used to? I can't wait to get mine. I've wanted one for so long!
JTM45.
sorry it took so long to reply...been working on setting up my new beast.

YES! that is the wood design!

anyhow- i actually i started as a bass player. played 4, 5 & 6 string (ibanez and others) for well over 16 years now.

in 2000, i bought a 7-string ESP LTD 207. i did try 6-strings a long time ago, an RG model with a horrible floyd, but i found them to be not very substantial (the white Jem w/the vine is incredible tho') and not the feel i was after.

anyways, the move from bass to guitar was pretty easy for the most part. i went through most of the Guitar Grimoire books. very helpful. as well as John Petrucci's Wild Stringdom and Steve Vai's Passion & Warfare songbook.

even though my music (similar to Earth & Sunn O)))) is not associated with that style, i just found it important for my own learning to have as much firepower when needed.

now i exclusively play guitar and the UV777 is my first Jem. now i will not play anything else really. this thing is just too damn good.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 03:14 PM

Except a UV777 isn't a Jem, it's a Universe.

Tags
gauge strings , john petrucci , steve vai , string necks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

i received a electric shock when i touch my guitar strings

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode