just a stolen jems story - and a happy burglar, i guess.... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

just a stolen jems story - and a happy burglar, i guess....

here in Argentina we got one official Ibanez dealer, it is a really big guitar shop.
yesterday, two guys entered with two more waiting on a
small truck at the front door at 9 am when the place was opening.
there was no money because it was the opening , there is no security guard there and the crew were ordered not to activate the alarm or well, you know...
the burglars stole:
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * 3 jem 10th
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * 5 jem 7vwh
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * 3 jem 7dbk
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * 2 jem 7bsb
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * 2 uvbk
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * and lots of rg and exs and other stuff

a friend of mine works there and told me the exact quantity of stolen guitars, the thing is that this is the only place where you can buy a new jem, but they dont got them anymore, so, they will be very cheap in tha black market but everyone considering buying one will have trouble with the law if catched.
I aint going to buy that stuff even if a 10th costs $600 in re selling,
oh!!! *F***ING etic and moral, ohhh!!
you all jem addicts, what would you do?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 06:12 PM

just a stolen jems story

Interseting dilema. Of course, if you did succumb and buy on the black market you would be perpetuating the crime cycle. It would be bad karma. Would you feel good playing your stolen guitar? How would you feel if someone took your axe?
I think your conscience wouldn't let you do it...
Would anyone here go for it if they were offered a cheapo deal on an obviously hot guitar?

Guy
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 06:54 PM

just a stolen jems story

A very unfortunate situation for the honest people of Argentina, and a dilema for you if one comes your way.

My advice would be to do the honest thing, as tempting as it is do otherwise. *If you come across one, then by passing the info onto the police authorities & the dealer you may even be fortunate enough to strike a deal as a reward...some of that Karma that Stu was talking about.

I dont envy you.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

just a stolen jems story

i am not consider in anyway to purchase one of this instruments!!!!
i am just asking the people here to see what they think
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 08:27 PM

just a stolen jems story

You have to at least find one JEM10th and give it back to the store so you have something to look at:biggrin:
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 10:00 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
just a stolen jems story

Stay clear. Hopefully the stores had serial numbers to track them. It is very possible the eventual buyer(s) will not even know they have stolen guitars. Especially if they are sold on eBay overseas. Sadly the business will possibly profit more on the theft than if they were sold? Not sure of his investment there but i know their worth. Do your part and spread the news. Unless you're in law enforcement there is nothing more you can do... glen
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 10:18 PM

just a stolen jems story

Thats one of the goofy things about the law. *Say you purchase a stolen guitar unknowingly. *It gets found, you lose a guitar, and have what to show for your $600? *Nothing but an empty wallet. *So, do you sue the guy who you bought it from? *No, because he has to pay court fees and a lawyer, or he goes to jail. *You dont actually expect to get a refund from a thief do you?
What a yucky situation to be in.
Makes me nervous buying online now. *It'll have to be original owner stuff with receipts. *That's very limiting. *YUK!!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

just a stolen jems story

it wasnt my intention to create a bad feeling about internet buying, i just wanted to hear your opinions.
the thing is that the buyer or the thief can erase the serials, that is another thing to take into account
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2001, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
just a stolen jems story

I think Kevan has, as usual, the right idea. Try and get the serial numbers and circulate them, I'm sure glen would lend space on the stolen guitars roster to these ones.

I'll definately forward them to the guitar agazines in this country who regularly run "beware of stolen goods" articles.

And as someone who lost a GMC to burglary I can say there should be a MAJOR "Bad Karma Event" *in the *thieves' future :biggrin: (like making "special" friends in some jail with Rosco the weightlifter )

Most online sellers, I'm sure, will do their part to provide authentication of their intruments so in truth I think we're all fairly safe from these guys.

(Edited by jono at 2:22 am on April 6, 2001)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2001, 11:19 PM

just a stolen jems story

No to get off the subject but WOW I have never walked into a store that stocked that many jems in one place.....
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2001, 12:05 AM

just a stolen jems story

Jems must be selling better in Argentina than up here. :silly:

Tags
guitar shop , ibanez dealer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode