Just want to know - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 04:34 AM Thread Starter

Just want to know

if a certain ibanez endorsee played a 7vsbl would they still discontinue it? I think not. If the same person then decided to play a totally different style of guitar lets say the SZ720FM for example or a different make how many people would then swap to this guitar ? i guess my question is how many here bought a jem just because of what it is and how many because of a certain individual. i will admit to a little of each here but then i play a vsbl so many would say i have no taste

Please dont hurt me , just curious

also if that person again was never to play the new chrome jem how long would that last???

Last edited by Bezial; 01-16-2005 at 04:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 06:56 AM

Re: Just want to know

I don't think anyone's seen Vai play a DBK, PMC or UV777BK on stage but they seem to sell just fine.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

that wasnt my question hasnt the dbk been scraped?
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 08:49 AM

I just answered one of about a billion questions you seemed to ask within one paragraph.

I think some people are attracted to Jems because they're what Vai plays, others are attracted to them because they have what they're looking for in a guitar, and most fall somewhere in between the two categories. I think the VBSL would probably have lasted a few more years if it was cheaper, made out of basswood for instance, and therefore could have survived the limited association with Vai for a little longer because more people could have afforded them. But then again, most Jems are only made for a small amount of time anyway, with the exception of the VWH, the FP and to a lesser extent the DY. There are many more Jem variations out there which Vai was rarely seen with - RB, VBK, PMC, GMC, 10th, 90th, BSB, BFP... so the VBSL isn't an isolated incident. I don't think it's necessarily a failure - I've seen more of them than VWHs here in Melbourne at least - it's just time for that particular variation on the Jem theme to step aside for the next one.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the reply wasnt asking heaps of questions , just wanted to see what everyone thought.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 05:16 PM

It is certainly no coincidence that the models more closely associated with Vai have been the longest running. I've bought a few PBKs becasue that is what Vai played at the Seville expo, and I guess I started playing Ibanez because my favourite players at the time (Gilbert, Satriani and Vai) played them. I guess when I was a kid starting out I figured 'if they are good enough for those guys, they are good enough me!! I think we all have to admit to being a little drawn into the fact that it is Steve's guitar. You could pick up a cheap Japanese RG and drop in Dimarzios for a fraction of the price.

I think as I have gotten older, I am a little more informed of my own choices so if Steve played something else (He was playing a PRS a few months back at a Queen gig in Las Vegas - my wife saved the pic out of one of her gossip mags!!!) I don't know if I would swap.

One thing is for shure though, the guitars that steve (and Joe) plays more regularly, hold thier value better that the equivelent ones that don't.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 05:38 PM

The VWH is simply a classier-looking Jem. Which I think accounts for both Vai and the general public not owning more VSBLs. If Vai played the VSBL more it would help a little, but it wouldn't change the fact that the VWH is just a better looking finish (to most people).
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys. hi ibaneznorthwest, how did you do selling your chromeboys did they go in the end? hope you got what you wanted, i have had to ease off lookinf for the js1200 for a while but thanks for trying
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 01:33 AM

Cheers mate the Chromies are goooone!! but as Jemsite went down, no trades came along!! Oh well you can but try!!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 03:30 AM Thread Starter

thats cool
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 05:39 PM

theres pics of him playing a VSBL at the aching hunger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode